News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Malthus Cartoon Art Thread

Started by Malthus, August 29, 2017, 10:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

The Nine of Hearts.

The character is a bit of a man-child, who works as a karate "master" in a strip-mall Dojo, lives with his mother, and spends his off-time eating cereal and watching kid's TV shows ... a mild parody on the (adult) audience.  ;)

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

They got you dead to rights, Malthus.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 24, 2017, 12:11:38 PM

I'm not a karate master ...  :(

Seriously though, is the animation age ghetto still even really a thing? Many western animated shows these days are deliberately aimed at both children and adults - Gravity Falls (also a Disney 'kid's show'), Avatar the Last Airbender, Over the Garden Wall, Star vs. Evil, etc. Some of them poke fun at the fact that they have adult audiences - but they also deliberately cultivate them.

All of these shows are far more "adult" in themes than (say) superhero movies, which are also aimed at adult audiences (increasingly exclusively at adult audiences). 

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 24, 2017, 12:11:38 PM

Um he only watches this show because he has a kid...you know the normal reason most adults watch kids shows.

QuoteAll of these shows are far more "adult" in themes than (say) superhero movies, which are also aimed at adult audiences (increasingly exclusively at adult audiences).

Do any of these shows feature Supervillian Erich Ludendorff? Huh?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 24, 2017, 02:11:48 PM
Um he only watches this show because he has a kid...you know the normal reason most adults watch kids shows.

It is true I only started watching this particular show because my kid wanted me to watch it with him ... but to be fair, I'd still watch it anyway.  ;)

QuoteDo any of these shows feature Supervillian Erich Ludendorff? Huh?

I can honestly say that they don't.

The new supervillian in Star is most notable so far for her scandalous love life and her affinity for chocolate.  ;)

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 24, 2017, 02:32:50 PM
I can honestly say that they don't.

Well I don't see the basis for claiming they are more "adult" then :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Eddie Teach

Whoosh?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 24, 2017, 03:42:38 PM

Whoosh?

It's complicated. But I got the result I wanted.

Malthus

Heh, any of you jokers have a critique of the artwork itself?  :P

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 25, 2017, 09:24:03 AM

I think it is all very well done.

But if you want a little critique, the mouth on the top face of "this time I win" seems a bit off.  The bottom lip seems out of place.

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2017, 04:25:46 PM

But if you want a little critique, the mouth on the top face of "this time I win" seems a bit off.  The bottom lip seems out of place.

Thanks!

It's actually a bit of character design from the show itself - this particular character (Eclipsa) has a fulsome lower lip, but no visible upper lip. Plus permanently half-lidded eyes, which are pointy ovals and not round like most other characters. She usually wears long gloves, because her arms are covered with black scars.   

Malthus

Here's something I did a long time ago - a sketch using pen cross-hatching. Never worked it up into a proper drawing (the darks have to go way, way darker). It's a sculpture of a Mayan warrior in terracotta from a tomb.

A detail from his outfit:

HVC

Quote from: Malthus on October 25, 2017, 05:27:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 25, 2017, 04:25:46 PM

Thanks!

It's actually a bit of character design from the show itself - this particular character (Eclipsa) has a fulsome lower lip, but no visible upper lip. Plus permanently half-lidded eyes, which are pointy ovals and not round like most other characters. She usually wears long gloves, because her arms are covered with black scars.   

They put a cutter on a kids show? ... that's a bold move :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.