News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

About those peaceful antifa protests...

Started by viper37, August 20, 2017, 02:54:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Well, Derspice likes gated communities, we can accommodate that here.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on August 21, 2018, 03:18:46 PM
Look at Ancient Demon and all the other magical creatures that have popped out of the woodwork to spout off alt-right rhetoric here.  That is concerning.  If memory serves they weren't always alt-right level hooligans, but the silence on the right as espoused by people like you who are more balanced and moderated gives them courage and power to shape the direction of where the Conservative elements of society are going.

I'm not alt-right.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

Ancient Demon

Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2018, 03:47:15 PM
I've only seen a handful of recent posts from AD and I don't really remember much about the content, other than they ruffled some feathers.  Not to de-rail the conversation, but do we really have that many alt-righters here?

No, he's full of shit.
Ancient Demon, formerly known as Zagys.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2018, 10:17:01 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2018, 10:15:41 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2018, 10:05:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2018, 09:28:13 AM
Anyone here still like Antifa?  I mean, they're Anti-Fascists, after all.  How can you oppose a group that goes after Fascists?

Anyone here think that one incident makes confronting fascists a bad idea?

So you're saying you still like Antifa?

I am saying that this incident draws attention to the fact that there are violent factions within every protest group but that fact does not undermine the need, especially now, to confront fascism.

Agreed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

dps

Quote from: crazy canuck on August 21, 2018, 10:05:06 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 21, 2018, 09:28:13 AM
Anyone here still like Antifa?  I mean, they're Anti-Fascists, after all.  How can you oppose a group that goes after Fascists?

Anyone here think that one incident makes confronting fascists a bad idea?

To the extent that anyone in antifa advocates political violence, yes.  My understanding, which may be flawed, is that at the very least, many members of antifa do in fact advocate political violence.  Certainly some posters here have made posts in favor of antifa in which they advocated or at least defended political violence.

PDH

To the extent that anyone in the alt-right advocates political violence, yes.  My understanding, which may be flawed, is that at the very least, many members of alt-right do in fact advocate political violence.  Certainly some posters here have made posts in favor of the alt-right in which they advocated or at least defended political violence.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

dps

Quote from: PDH on August 21, 2018, 09:23:31 PM

To the extent that anyone in the alt-right advocates political violence, yes.  My understanding, which may be flawed, is that at the very least, many members of alt-right do in fact advocate political violence.  Certainly some posters here have made posts in favor of the alt-right in which they advocated or at least defended political violence.

I don't disagree.  I'm opposed to political violence, no matter who is using it.

And to be clear, I don't mind counter-protesters showing up and being prepared to defend themselves if they are attacked.  I do mind them inittiating violence against others.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: PDH on August 21, 2018, 09:23:31 PM

Thanks Grumbler.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

During the Obama administration I saw groups armed to the teeth in case they needed to fight against over reaching government.  III%ers, Oath Keeprs, various unaffiliated Militias, etc.  These groups often used Nazis as examples of groups they needed to fight, yet when actual Nazis are marching through the streets they seem remarkably ambivalent.  It seems clear to me there are Conservative groups willing to to at least theoretically fight, yet none of them seem interested in countering the Nazis.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 21, 2018, 05:11:49 PM
Back Alley is free.

This thread will do. You're free to leave if you don't like the action.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Razgovory on August 21, 2018, 10:30:48 PM
During the Obama administration I saw groups armed to the teeth in case they needed to fight against over reaching government.  III%ers, Oath Keeprs, various unaffiliated Militias, etc.  These groups often used Nazis as examples of groups they needed to fight, yet when actual Nazis are marching through the streets they seem remarkably ambivalent.  It seems clear to me there are Conservative groups willing to to at least theoretically fight, yet none of them seem interested in countering the Nazis.
I'd say they're more than ambivalent.  They're part of the same demonstrations on the same side.  Often times they offer to provide "security" to alt-right groups.  As if the police aren't a big enough "neutral" cheerleading group...
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Solmyr

What's wrong with advocating violence against Nazis? The US did it in 1941-1945.

grumbler

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 21, 2018, 03:23:19 PM
I'm reminded of Yeats' poem (at least the start of it)  :

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

Yes, and the fact that the poem is 99 years old indicates how persistent the problem has been. The alt-right and antifa are just the current US manifestations.

Quote"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on August 21, 2018, 03:47:46 PM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on August 21, 2018, 03:23:19 PM
I'm reminded of Yeats' poem (at least the start of it)  :

"Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."

I used to read The Second Coming to my students when talking about post world war I world.  I even got them to listen some times.

I think I've mentioned here that just about my favorite lesson in AP Euro is when, having finished the 30s and 40s, I challenge the students to look on the poem as prophecy, not description.  The usual responses are that the falcon is nationalism and the falconer the 19th C conservatives who tried to exploit nationalism to maintain power (thus leading to WW1), while Hitler is the rough beast.

One student, though, proposed an interpretation that I hadn't thought of:  the falcon is science, and the falconer is scientists, losing control of science to the politicians.  The rough beast is then the nuclear balance of terror, and Bethlehem is Hiroshima.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!