What percentage of books you own are by white authors?

Started by Savonarola, August 18, 2017, 02:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2017, 10:17:23 AM
garbon you are a stereotype of exactly the reason the progressive left is a joke, and not a very funny one.

If someone doesn't agree with you, you accuse them of being racist, or at the very least being ignorant because of their race (which if anything, is YOU being a racist). It's the very reason why debate is not tolerated in places where it ought to be embraced. The accusation of racism is just too easy to make for the intellectually lazy.

I haven't accused anyone of racism here. I do see a lot of white people alleging they were accused of racism though.

In fact, my first post in this thread is how most of my books are from white authors! :o
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2017, 10:18:24 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 10:12:55 AM
Quote from: Delirium on August 22, 2017, 10:05:05 AM
*white whine*

Quoted for posterity.

Maybe he just doesn't fucking agree with you, and that has nothing to do with his race?

Is that possible?

Yes, it is handy that a white person who doesn't have to deal with the ramifications of race - thinks it is unimportant factor and as he said 'doesn't give a fuck about'.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Berkut

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 10:50:06 AM
*white whine*

Quoted for posterity.

Maybe he just doesn't fucking agree with you, and that has nothing to do with his race?

Is that possible?

Yes, it is handy that a white person who doesn't have to deal with the ramifications of race - thinks it is unimportant factor and as he said 'doesn't give a fuck about'.

Of course - his position must be because he is white.

Isn't there a word for assigning a position to someone based on their particular "race"? Isn't there something we call that?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

*white whine*

Quoted for posterity.

Is that possible?

Yes, it is handy that a white person who doesn't have to deal with the ramifications of race

Oh sure, white people never have to deal with any ramifications of race. It has no impact on us at all, gosh no! All white people have an identical experience with race, of course, we are all basically the same.

0 rows returned

Malthus

I don't know for sure, but I'd guess mostly White, with a comparatively large number of Asian (Chinese and Japanese history buff being the reason). Very few American Black authours, only a handful of sub-Saharan African authors (an old copy of Things Fall Apart is visible). More from India or from South America.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2017, 11:00:12 AM
*white whine*

Quoted for posterity.

Is that possible?

Of course - his position must be because he is white.

Isn't there a word for assigning a position to someone based on their particular "race"? Isn't there something we call that?

Have you consulted a dictionary recently? :hmm:

Jacob

garbon you are a stereotype of exactly the reason the progressive left is a joke, and not a very funny one.

I don't think garbon identifies as progressive left, which makes it kind of ironic.

QuoteIf someone doesn't agree with you, you accuse them of being racist, or at the very least being ignorant because of their race (which if anything, is YOU being a racist). It's the very reason why debate is not tolerated in places where it ought to be embraced. The accusation of racism is just too easy to make for the intellectually lazy.

Where was the accusation of racism?

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2017, 11:29:42 AM

I don't think garbon identifies as progressive left, which makes it kind of ironic.

Yeah, I don't think the progressive left can stand being in a room with a Republican let alone having ever voted for one.

Oexmelin

I suppose your idea of "race" makes sense in an social system with only clearly identifiable whites and blacks, with all blacks perpetuated as victims.

But this is from the real world, where I spend my days.

I'd like to think I teach, and spend my days, in the real world too.

If you think of race as the end-all, be all, of identity, clearly it will never fill the totality of an individual. But such limitation did not prevent you form using sometimes "nationality" (Swede), "ethnicity" (Kurd), and even "nationality from" (Swede from Ethiopia) for the same purpose, despite easy arguments that such may not capture all of the diversity one finds, say, among Kurds.

Jacob hinted at it: the context, and hence, the content, of race will vary according to place and society. There is indeed, at times, a tendency to treat race as if the definition it receives in the United States (itself the product of a specific history), can, and should be applied across the globe. The racism that produced it also had different forms.

That being said, it *has* been an operative category for most of the western world, and beyond. I can guarantee you that race, in Mexico, means something, and often quite a lot ("indio", "chino", "negro", "la raza", etc.), independent from ethnicity. Since the 19th century, the existence of a whole body of "knowledge" (standard disclaimer: yes, I know it's bunk, but it circulated then as knowledge did) created some convergence. Racists in the west read each other, and informed one another. And thus, authors in the west have responded by creating bodies of literature and political theory similarly global.

So, to your challenge, I don't know. I don't know, specifically, what you would gain by interviewing (?) a non-white Swede, or a non-white immigrant to Sweden. But I am guessing, at least, the potential experience of discrimination based on race, even if one was born in Sweden, (unless this never happens in Sweden?) may be absent from conversation coming from a white Swede.

Wouldn't you at least have second thoughts, if your classes, or your interviewees were systematically only men?
Que le grand cric me croque !

Berkut

ou are wasting your time Oex, garbon already nailed it - Del can't consider any of that because he is white.

0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2017, 11:39:56 AM
ou are wasting your time Oex, garbon already nailed it - Del can't consider any of that because he is white.

You may be putting words into garbon's mouth there. I mean, yeah - garbon's comment was dismissive as fuck but you're kinda jumping across a few more lanes of traffic to get to that exit.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 11:31:26 AM

Yeah, I don't think the progressive left can stand being in a room with a Republican let alone having ever voted for one.

It does seem like you have moved in the direction of the progressive left in the past couple years.  And didn't your party affiliation change when you voted in the 2016 Dem primary?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on August 22, 2017, 11:44:36 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 22, 2017, 11:39:56 AM

You may be putting words into garbon's mouth there. I mean, yeah - garbon's comment was dismissive as fuck but you're kinda jumping across a few more lanes of traffic to get to that exit.

And I was dismissive as his earlier comments and his most recent completely snarky one (which Oex did an admirable job at answering) didn't seem like someone who was entering this with any actual interest in the subject. As mentioned, he's already said he doesn't give a fuck about race.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on August 22, 2017, 11:51:12 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 11:31:26 AM

It does seem like you have moved in the direction of the progressive left in the past couple years.  And didn't your party affiliation change when you voted in the 2016 Dem primary?

I was a democrat back in '08 too before I became a Republican in '10. Until 2016, I had always voted for a Republican candidate for President and always picked a mix of Republicans and Democrats for local positions. My voting habits only changed in 2016 election when I saw how spineless the Republicans were.

Jacob

Quote from: garbon on August 22, 2017, 11:59:11 AM
And I was dismissive as his earlier comments and his most recent completely snarky one (which Oex did an admirable job at answering) didn't seem like someone who was entering this with any actual interest in the subject. As mentioned, he's already said he doesn't give a fuck about race.

Well in doing so, you apparently upset a few people who do give a fuck about race. Collateral damage, as it were.