News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Languish in Crisis (Time of Crisis PBEM)

Started by Habbaku, August 07, 2017, 12:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Not at all. Busy last couple of days. My move should be out soon.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

And as a note ahead of time, DragonCon is next weekend, so I won't be able to do any moves from Thursday until Monday morning.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

King Cniva of the Goths rallies the clans in the northern plains and prepares for an invasion of Roman Thracia.

Elsewhere, Egypt is at least partially purged of the barbarian taint, though Sassanids continue to run wild in the hinterlands. Despite this issue, the Nomads are scattered to the winds in a great victory for Rome.

Unfortunately, this glorious victory isn't enough to convince the Senate to dispatch a new governor to Thracia. Perhaps next year...

Over to Sol.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

A map for those following along at home:

(Click for larger version)
TIME

Of note:

I am currently "winning" but have the lowest support level possible in my two provinces and have been hammered by the random events. Fortunately, besting all the barbarian tribes that are invading my territory is keeping me in the game.

Tamas is doing very well for himself with 4 controlled provinces and, assuming he purges the Rival Emperor Priest King in Syria of troublemakers, he'll be first on the board with an Emperor Turn, which nets huge bonus VPs at the end of the game.

Solmyr has strong armies in the field and has taken a more compact, improvement-heavy approach. He essentially has the option of going wherever he pleases with his next advance. I would be surprised if he doesn't reach out for Italia...

Celedhring has an interesting position between all of Tamas' provinces and is sure to take one of those soon, right? Considering the size of his army in Asia, he can pick the weakest province around for proper sacking and, er, re-management.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

The Pannonian army of the Solmyrius family adds another legion to its banners and recruits some Frankish tribes as foederati. The army has so far been content to guard the Danube frontier, but who knows what the general's intentions are... Meanwhile, the governor of Thrace is replaced with one loyal to the Solmyrii as the Senate sees the light (and the Pannonian army close by).

Over to Tamas.

Tamas

A time of consolidating gains for Tamasus, which slowly erodes his support to be honest, as the false emperor is still at large in Syria. A new army was created in Galatia, other than that, defensive measures have been taken in the form of increasing support in Macedonia, appointing a trusted Quaestor in Galatia, and fortifying the army in Italia due to the suspect loyalties of the forces in Pannonia.

Speaking of Pannonia, a unit of Alamannic raiders entered the province but the Limes pacified them for now.

celedhring

The Nomad tribes cross into Africa! For now they've been stopped by the fortifications.

Marcus Celedus Ringus dennounces the proconsul of Thracia for conspiring with the Barbarians and leaving the defences purposely weakened for a raid. The governor is replaced by one of Celedus' confidence who quickly recruits an army legion to defend the province.

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on August 29, 2017, 06:15:58 AM
The Pannonian army of the Solmyrius family adds another legion to its banners and recruits some Frankish tribes as foederati. The army has so far been content to guard the Danube frontier, but who knows what the general's intentions are... Meanwhile, the governor of Thrace is replaced with one loyal to the Solmyrii as the Senate sees the light (and the Pannonian army close by).

Over to Tamas.

Sol, since you do not govern Pannonia, you may not recruit new legions into the army there. You may train reduced legions, but not recruit. Would you like to shift that legion to one of your other armies?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

Quote from: Habbaku on August 31, 2017, 06:13:38 PM
Sol, since you do not govern Pannonia, you may not recruit new legions into the army there. You may train reduced legions, but not recruit. Would you like to shift that legion to one of your other armies?

Will do it in Gallia then, and put the Frankish foederati there too.

Habbaku

Roger.

With the Nomadic tribes bested, the hard-pressed legions of Egypt score another grand victory against the Sassanid scum. The only true empire is that of Rome, of course!

With these victories over external enemies, support rises in both Egypt and Pannonia for the local governors, who have done naught but keep them safe from all depredations. In addition, another legion, the Italica, is raised on the Pannonian plain, ostensibly to continue protecting the realm from enemies within and without.

Back to Sol.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

The Solmyrii pull back from Pannonia just as a new Frankish invasion occurs there. The main Solmyrii army in Gallia crosses the Pyrenees, ousting the Hispanian legion of Celedus and occupying the capital. With the first Roman-against-Roman battle, the civil wars have begun!

Over to Tamas.

Tamas

Quote from: Solmyr on September 01, 2017, 05:42:38 AM
The Solmyrii pull back from Pannonia just as a new Frankish invasion occurs there. The main Solmyrii army in Gallia crosses the Pyrenees, ousting the Hispanian legion of Celedus and occupying the capital. With the first Roman-against-Roman battle, the civil wars have begun!

Over to Tamas.

I have already defeated Habbaku's army to take the throne, pay attention :P

Tamas

Having consolidated his holdings, Tamasus turned toward sorting out the mess in Syria.

Having gained the allegiance of the goths in that cursed province, his army moved into the capital and chased away the inept governor, putting one of his trusted man into the position.

The new governor's support fluctuated, as the initial jubilation over the defeat of the rival emperor the Priest King, was replaced with the solemn realisation that the big Sassanid invasion force will not be dealt with, for the time being.

The Priest King was defeated at the cost of the Gothic foederati and some losses from the legions, the latter which was promptly replaced.

I know have 1 turn as Emperor, we should not forget :P

Celed is up.

celedhring

I have a question:

a) I got a Nomad invasion in Africa. There were already two Nomad armies present.
b) There's a limes in that province. I assume that 1) the new armies go inactive, the armies already present remain active.
c) Since there's now 4 Nomad armies in Africa, one should get moved to Hispania? One of the new - inactive - ones?

I think I got that right, but I'll hold on the move until I get confirmation.

EDIT: Posted my turn, I'll fix the Nomad movement if it turns out I botched it.

celedhring

Marcus Celedus Ringus can't respond to the treacherous invasion of Hispania, with his hands tied up by the presence of even more invading Nomads in Africa. For now, he buys himself time with a timely bribe to pacify the tribes while another legion is raised in Carthago, and grain is distributed among the population to raise support.

EDIT: I again forgot to gain legacy. I should be due 6 points.