News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Nigerian Civil War Megathread

Started by jimmy olsen, April 22, 2014, 11:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

If Sudanese can afford them, Nigerians definitely can as well

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/global-arms-trade-africa-and-the-curse-of-the-ak47-472975.html
QuoteThere is now thought to be one AK-47 for every family in southern Sudan,
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on February 14, 2015, 09:40:34 PM

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/global-arms-trade-africa-and-the-curse-of-the-ak47-472975.html

Tims solution to Africa's problems, "lets flood the place with cheap weapons, make sure every family has one" , I mean what could possibly go wrong.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Agelastus

And how many decades of civil war and failed government did that take? Nigeria's not been a basket case for anywhere near as many years yet.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Grinning_Colossus

That doesn't necessarily mean that every family has an AK-47, only that the number of families and the number of AK-47s are roughly equal.
Quis futuit ipsos fututores?

jimmy olsen

Really nice story about women who have escaped Boko Haram and found a western education.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/escape-from-boko-haram-180956333/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Some good news.

https://guardian.ng/news/army-kill-boko-haram-leader-rescue-nine-children/
News  |  Nigeria  |  National 
Army kill Boko Haram leader, rescue nine children

By Segun Olaniyi (Abuja) Njadvara Musa (Maiduguri)     |   13 June 2017   |   4:40 am

Troops of the 3 Battalion, 22 Brigade of the Nigerian Army yesterday killed the leader of Boko Haram, Abu Nazir, at Jarawa village in Borno State. The soldiers of Operation Lafiya Dole, supported by some members of the Civilian JTF, also rescued nine abducted children who were undergoing training at a camp near the village.

A statement by Army Spokesman, Brig. Gen Sani Kukasheka Usman, disclosed this yesterday. He said the terrorists had ambushed them about a kilometer to Jarawa village, but were overpowered and pursued into the forest.

Usman added that the rescued children were receiving preliminary humanitarian assistance in preparation to being handed over to Kala Balge Internally Displaced Persons Camp Management Committee.

He said the clearance operation followed the credible information that they received about the convergence of some elements of suspected Boko Haram terrorists. He disclosed that the troops also captured several weapons, including an AK-47 rifle, 1 double barrel gun, 1 primed heavy Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and three motorcycles.

Meanwhile, the Acting General Officer Commanding 8 Task Force Division, Brig-Gen. Stevenson Olabanji has pledged the military's capacity to end the insurgency in the northeast.

He made the commitment yesterday, while addressing officers and soldiers at the headquarters of 133 Special Force Battalion, Kangarwa, in Borno State.

Olabanji said the Nigerian Army is the bastion of democracy and freedom, as it is deployed in the northeast and other parts to deal with internal security challenges.

He promised officers and soldiers who have overstayed in their operational areas that they would soon be given the opportunity to go home in a rotational exercise.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Quotetroops also captured several weapons, including an AK-47 rifle, 1 double barrel gun, 1 primed heavy Improvised Explosive Device (IED) and three motorcycles.

WHAT A HAUL
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney