News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

US navy ship collides, 7 missing

Started by viper37, June 16, 2017, 09:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2019, 03:57:50 PM
Since we're talking about the McCain here, here's some changes the Navy is making to ensure this does not happen again, or at least, reduces the risks:
US Navy ditching touchscreens for physical throttles

Apparently, sailors are still confused by the touchscreens used on the new/refitted destroyers and clamoring to have their physical controls back.

I don't know enough about the subject, but I tend to suspect the problem lies more with badly designed tech than flawed tech in itsefl.  But I'm not the one driving these monstrous dangers to world peace ;)   so I'll let the sailors decide what's best for them. :P

On the other hand ... they could invest in hiring some sailors who wasted their youth playing video games, and so are familiar with such controls.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Iormlund

Yeah, an Xbox controller will do.  :P

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2019, 04:05:46 PM
Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2019, 03:57:50 PM
Since we're talking about the McCain here, here's some changes the Navy is making to ensure this does not happen again, or at least, reduces the risks:
US Navy ditching touchscreens for physical throttles

Apparently, sailors are still confused by the touchscreens used on the new/refitted destroyers and clamoring to have their physical controls back.

I don't know enough about the subject, but I tend to suspect the problem lies more with badly designed tech than flawed tech in itsefl.  But I'm not the one driving these monstrous dangers to world peace ;)   so I'll let the sailors decide what's best for them. :P

On the other hand ... they could invest in hiring some sailors who wasted their youth playing video games, and so are familiar with such controls.  :D

That's the point; they did, but the controls didn't have a good tutorial.

The Navy always wanted the physical controls.  It was the contractor that insisted (for cost-saving reasons) on using the touch screens.

Just as a matter of motor skills, a 30-inch wheel to control the rudder is going to be more precise than a one-inch dial.

Plus, it will put modern sailors in touch with the old salts who still talk about speeds ike "all ahead Bendix!"
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!