Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 27, 2021, 10:24:52 PM
I'm currently running The Enemy Within campaign for Warhammer FRP 4th Edition for two separate groups.  The amount of detail in this campaign is staggering. There are five modules each comes with a main campaign boob and a separate companion book.  Pus thee are separate location books (such as for the city of Middenheim where two of the modules are based).  In the end there are over 2,000 pages of material for the campaign. Every character, no matter how minor, has a detailed background description with potential story hooks.

I'm currently playing it (not running it). I didn't experience it back in the day, so it's nice that it has returned. :)
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Hansmeister on November 27, 2021, 10:24:52 PM
I'm currently running The Enemy Within campaign for Warhammer FRP 4th Edition for two separate groups.  The amount of detail in this campaign is staggering. There are five modules each comes with a main campaign boob and a separate companion book.  Pus thee are separate location books (such as for the city of Middenheim where two of the modules are based).  In the end there are over 2,000 pages of material for the campaign. Every character, no matter how minor, has a detailed background description with potential story hooks.
Love the setting and world building, hate the rules. A lot. I've tried to stomach campaigns twice and just cannot stand how dreadful the rules system is. Also, I think the breadth of the setting can hurt it if the group and gm aren't focused on making a coherent narrative and party.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

For fans of Star Trek TNG/DS9/VOY era who are into p&p rpgs this HumblBundle might be worth checking out: https://www.humblebundle.com/books/star-trek-adventures-rpg-modiphius-2021-books
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Reading/ playing through Warlock of Firetop Mountain (Fighting Fantasy) with my boy. I remember getting the book one Christmas around his age and being absolutely enthralled. Pretty soon after that I was off to the races with Basic D&D.

He rolled exceedingly well during character creation, so we've been dealing with even tough challenges fairly easily. I fear I may be setting him up with expectations of success that are too high....

Caliga

:cool:

My first Fighting Fantasy gamebook was Caverns of the Snow Witch but I got Warlock either second or third, the other book being House of Hades (which IIRC was released as House of Hell in the UK/Canada).
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Caliga on December 31, 2021, 06:12:57 PM
:cool:

My first Fighting Fantasy gamebook was Caverns of the Snow Witch but I got Warlock either second or third, the other book being House of Hades (which IIRC was released as House of Hell in the UK/Canada).

Mine was Starship Traveller that a classmate brought to school. I know it has a bit of a mixed reputation, not least for having a critical path that is very easy to miss early on. Oddly, that didn't bother me much. I was much more taken by its capturing the feeling of a series of Star Trek episodes (the book is structured into a number of planets/situations you encounter) and by how big and expansive it made the book feel at the time.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

The Brain

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Has anyone read the modern RuneQuest books (rulebook, bestiary, etc)? Are they nice books? I have never played RuneQuest.

C.C.R.

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 02, 2022, 11:15:27 AMWish I could play in a Forgotten Realms game.

I'm running Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden for my fiancee, one of my daughters & a few friends right now. Good times...

:ccr

Jacob

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 27, 2022, 09:52:41 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 02, 2022, 11:15:27 AMWish I could play in a Forgotten Realms game.

I'm running Icewind Dale: Rime of the Frostmaiden for my fiancee, one of my daughters & a few friends right now. Good times...

Sounds like a good time :cheers:

... and good to see you :)

The Brain

Quote from: C.C.R. on February 27, 2022, 09:52:41 PM

I might play in that when one of my current campaigns is done. :ccr