Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on February 13, 2021, 11:54:30 AM
Picked up a copy of Lex Arcana, an RPG based in an alt-hist/magical Roman Empire that never fell. No idea when I'll actually get to run it, but hope springs eternal.

Is it a nice book? I've been eyeing it (not realistically for playing it though).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Habbaku

I bought entirely too many Lex Arcana (https://www.aresgames.eu/games/roleplaying-games/lex-arcana-core-rulebook) books recently after getting some really good vibes from reading the core book. Basically the entire hardcover line, and I may pick up some of the PDF adventure books just to give me an idea of what the designers themselves expect the game to be run like.

Naturally, I'll loot the best elements from those for ideas, but otherwise scrap it, as I tend not to like pre-written adventures that much.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: The Brain on March 05, 2021, 04:48:41 AM
Quote from: Habbaku on February 13, 2021, 11:54:30 AM
Picked up a copy of Lex Arcana, an RPG based in an alt-hist/magical Roman Empire that never fell. No idea when I'll actually get to run it, but hope springs eternal.

Is it a nice book? I've been eyeing it (not realistically for playing it though).

It is. Production quality is very high, organization and readability are very good. Art is excellent. It is, however, very much a player's book rather than a proper setting book. It has plenty of material on the setting, mind, but for a really deep-dive...that's in the other sources, like the Aegyptus book.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Savonarola

Quote from: Savonarola on February 03, 2021, 05:01:43 PM
My group started playing Cyberpunk Red.  Two of the classes (Rockerboy and Media) are essentially glorified influencers.  The Media character uses social media to share the truth about corporate wrongdoings.  One of our group chose that, then the social media fueled Capitol Riots occurred and everyone realized we were already living in the dark future.

If I ever write a cyberpunk novel the premise will be the corrupt government and evil corporations are oppressing the rabble and the heroes standing up to them are QAnon Buffalo Shaman style kooks.

There's a stat in the game called "Empathy" which goes down as you get more cybernetic implants (and therefore become more robot than man.)  I was going to suggest a house rule where that makes computer use skill checks more difficult as you constantly fail Captcha tests; except I dont' think the Netrunner would appreciate that. 
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

jimmy olsen

This sounds fun.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/mp0wmc/be_not_afraid_is_a_2page_rpg_where_you_play/
BE NOT AFRAID is a 2-page RPG where you play (nearly) omnipotent angels trying and often failing to help humanity.

The primary inspirations for this game are Good Omens and The Good Place. The game is meant to be simple enough to run for an evening, and designed to hopefully provoke the fun kinds of philosophical discussion about power, responsibility, what it means to do good, what would happen if Michael killed Hitler with a flaming sword, etc.

Hope y'all enjoy playing it as much as I did making it! LMK what you think!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Got some Lex Arcana books today. They look nice. :)

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

Darth Wagtaros

I'll be fully vacinated in two weeks. I wish to play a RPG again, its been years.  Like an in person one. With stuff. And my hematite dice.
PDH!

jimmy olsen

Quote from: The Brain on May 05, 2021, 03:10:28 PM
Suez canal? :hmm:

The oracles were in favor.  :pope:

EDIT: I did just buy this. Seems cool so far.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Got the Colonial Marines book for the Alien RPG. Like the others it's a nice book. Has background info and a 7 part campaign. Some comments though:

Alien/Aliens (my short for the good parts of the Alien universe) has monolithic and faceless non-monster enemies (The Company etc). Describing the setting and organizations in detail kind of takes away the "only put in the background parts necessary for the story" principle that works very well for Alien/Aliens.

My guess is that the makers of the RPG had to take the whole license, ie even the crappy later Ridley Scott movies. Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection were not good movies, but at least they stuck to the relevant stuff, the xenomorph. The later Scott movies though are very bad from a pure movie perspective and what's worse in this context the whole Engineers BS is thematically completely disconnected from Alien/Aliens. The Engineers stuff could have worked in its own setting, but bolting it onto Alien/Aliens demeans them both. I assume Scott had Engineers ideas and just wanted to cash in on the Alien name, and that's why he made them Alien movies. Fair enough, I respect the hustle, but it didn't make for a great product. So, they had to include Engineers stuff in the campaign. Luckily the adventures are built in a way that makes modifying them fairly simple, making it easy for the GM to do some cleaning (so the players won't have to relive the cringe of Scott making the super cool fossilized alien in the first movie having been literally a guy in a rubber suit, for instance...).

grumbler

Quote from: The Brain on July 15, 2021, 01:41:26 PM
My guess is that the makers of the RPG had to take the whole license, ie even the crappy later Ridley Scott movies. Alien 3 and Alien: Resurrection were not good movies, but at least they stuck to the relevant stuff, the xenomorph. The later Scott movies though are very bad from a pure movie perspective and what's worse in this context the whole Engineers BS is thematically completely disconnected from Alien/Aliens. The Engineers stuff could have worked in its own setting, but bolting it onto Alien/Aliens demeans them both. I assume Scott had Engineers ideas and just wanted to cash in on the Alien name, and that's why he made them Alien movies. Fair enough, I respect the hustle, but it didn't make for a great product. So, they had to include Engineers stuff in the campaign. Luckily the adventures are built in a way that makes modifying them fairly simple, making it easy for the GM to do some cleaning (so the players won't have to relive the cringe of Scott making the super cool fossilized alien in the first movie having been literally a guy in a rubber suit, for instance...).

Does the book include Engineer Jesus?  That was the most incredibly stupid part of the moronic Engineer plot line.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on July 17, 2021, 02:16:30 PM
Quote from: The Brain on July 15, 2021, 01:41:26 PM

Does the book include Engineer Jesus?  That was the most incredibly stupid part of the moronic Engineer plot line.

Nah, I don't think so.

jimmy olsen

This seems cool. Has anyone played it?

https://www.shutupandsitdown.com/rpg-review-trail-of-cthulhu/

QuoteTrail of Cthulhu, designed by Kenneth Hite, is both a psychological horror RPG descended from Call of Cthulhu, and a cousin to deduction games like Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective and Mythos Tales. Your goal is to uncover the truth by amassing and interpreting clues from crime scenes, letters, news clippings, bizarre artifacts, libraries, autopsies.

QuoteTrail of Cthulhu has Purist and Pulp modes. If you're a fan of existential despair and debilitating psychological traumas (like I am) go Purist. If you prefer shooting monsters and adventuring more in the style of Arkham Horror, go for Pulp. You can actually play most adventures in either mode.

1 Karma Chameleon point