Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2021, 01:29:56 PM
Pathfinder is more about skill synergies so that may be more appealing.

I will use this opportunity to make my annual lament about the RoleMaster combat rules not becoming more widely adapted in the digital age.  Remove the need to look up a number of tables to determine the result of a combat action, and that may be more of what you are looking for.

Did you see "Against the Darkmaster"? It's an update/ retro-clone of the Rolemaster/ MERP set and I keep hearing good things about it.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 08, 2021, 05:28:21 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2021, 01:29:56 PM
Pathfinder is more about skill synergies so that may be more appealing.

I will use this opportunity to make my annual lament about the RoleMaster combat rules not becoming more widely adapted in the digital age.  Remove the need to look up a number of tables to determine the result of a combat action, and that may be more of what you are looking for.

Did you see "Against the Darkmaster"? It's an update/ retro-clone of the Rolemaster/ MERP set and I keep hearing good things about it.

I read through the cheat sheet of the rules, and that looks very promising.

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on February 06, 2021, 09:44:40 AM
I've been playing a lot of DND 5E.

I really like the amount of content out there, and how the game has been nicely streamlined to make it approachable for new players.

But I am definitely feeling like it is too basic. The combat system basically just comes down to a game of Go where each side tries and mostly succeeds in getting flanking on the other so they can roll with advantage. There is little or no syergy between players beyond that, and no real reason to try to be thoughtful.

Builds are pretty straightforward. Nothing really there to tweak, unless you get into multi-classing, which then becomes (IMO) almost game breaking in its character power ramping.

Overall, I like the game a lot, but I feel like I want and "Advanced" DND 5E. Is Pathfinder that?

Pathfinder is, as I understand it, Advanced DND 3.5. Pathfinder II is... I'm not sure to be honest. Haven't read it or talked enough to people to really know... so sorry, useless response I guess.

I guess the question is what is the part you want to be more advanced? The combat options? Narrative mechanics? Non-combat systems?

Not that I have ready answers for any of those, but there are a whole lot of RPGs coming out in all kinds of flavours. Like Brancalona - an Italian Spaghetti Fantasy RPG (5E based, I believe). I don't think that one is necessarily particularly "advanced", it's rather a flavour thing.

There's also, I believe, a massive number of third party options and supplements available if you want to take your 5E game in a different direction.

Personally I'm tinkering with OSR stuff, which is sort of the opposite of going more advanced. But doing a quick search on Drivethru I see things like:
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/215554/DD-5E-SecondbySecond-Combat-5E-SBSC?filters=44827_0_0_0_0_0
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194581/Ultimate-Battle-5E?filters=44827_0_0_0_0_0
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/237098/NAVAL-COMBAT-5E--Running-Sea-Encounters-for-Ships--Monsters?filters=44827_0_0_0_0_0

Some of those things may take your game in the advanced direction you're looking for?

The Brain

I've never been a D&D guy, so of course don't listen too much to me, but I'd try a different system. I've always found D&D a bit limiting.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Berkut

My problem though is that I am lazy.

And DnD seems, to me, to have like 20x the content of whatever comes in second.

Ill take a look at some of those expanded options though, thanks Jake!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Jacob

Quote from: Berkut on February 09, 2021, 09:18:31 AM
My problem though is that I am lazy.

And DnD seems, to me, to have like 20x the content of whatever comes in second.

Ill take a look at some of those expanded options though, thanks Jake!

:cheers:

Just to be clear, those weren't carefully curated - I haven't even read any of them. Point is more that you should check the D&D section of drivethru and see what catches your eye.

Valmy

I got this to play with my sons: https://www.icrpg.com/

It seems like a real nice rules light version of D&D. I cannot wait to try it out.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Sophie Scholl

Probably my favorite system, The One Ring, of all time is kickstarting a new edition with a new publisher, Free League. They are already waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the goal level ($531,000 and rising compared to $12,000). If anyone is looking for a great game, give it a look!  :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/the-one-ring-roleplaying-game-second-edition?ref=ksr_email_user_watched_project_launched
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

The Brain

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 11, 2021, 04:02:19 PM
Probably my favorite system, The One Ring, of all time is kickstarting a new edition with a new publisher, Free League. They are already waaaaaaaaaaaaay over the goal level ($531,000 and rising compared to $12,000). If anyone is looking for a great game, give it a look!  :)
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/the-one-ring-roleplaying-game-second-edition?ref=ksr_email_user_watched_project_launched

Crazy Swedes always up to something.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Threviel

Sophie Scholl

My ttrpg crew and I are on the homestretch of a... 4 year irl campaign using The One Ring. We expect to finish around May.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 13, 2021, 04:39:29 AM
My ttrpg crew and I are on the homestretch of a... 4 year irl campaign using The One Ring. We expect to finish around May.

Is it similar to the Rolemaster system?  I really liked the way it dealt with Tolkien's material.

Habbaku

Picked up a copy of Lex Arcana, an RPG based in an alt-hist/magical Roman Empire that never fell. No idea when I'll actually get to run it, but hope springs eternal.

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 13, 2021, 11:14:45 AM
Quote from: Benedict Arnold on February 13, 2021, 04:39:29 AM

Is it similar to the Rolemaster system?  I really liked the way it dealt with Tolkien's material.
I'm not familiar with Rolemaster unfortunately. From a cursory glance, it sounds like it might be close? There are no real super defined classes. You can build and grow your character however you want and every skill is available to every player with success being dictated by investment in the skills to meet your goals for a character and also a 1 in 12 chance of a "blind luck" success. That sounds like it might be similar to Rolemaster? I'm not sure though. The way everything is handled though, from skills, to "classes", to races, to travel, to... everything is just perfectly Tolkien and amazing for almost any system in my opinion. I'd love to try to play, amongst many others, a Warhammer game using The One Ring's ruleset as I love the Warhammer setting but abhor the WHFRP ruleset.

jimmy olsen

Just saw that they're doing a Victorian era sourcebook for the Mage 20th Anniversary Edition line.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/victorian-mage-ttrpg#/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point