Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on March 16, 2022, 06:37:12 PMI've heard of a dusty stack, but that, sir, is a dusty storage locker! I'm not sure whether to be impressed or afraid. A little of both I think!  :lol:

lol, shit is catalogued, in spreadsheet with value accounted for and insured.
I'll be goddamned I get whacked, and Mom's selling my shit at a yard sale for $5.

I'll be ramping it all down, though. Time to sell a lot of it off.  Closer to the end of the game than the beginning, you know.

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2022, 06:33:15 PMYou guys thought I was too goofy collecting shit years ago, you should see what I've amassed now. :ph34r:

My storage unit AKA the Toy Chest--

I've been on a real vintage RPG kick the last couple years; managed to score a lot of older 80s/90s stuff.

Been making a killing on the estate auction market.

Oh wow... impressive :cheers:

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 16, 2022, 06:33:15 PMYou guys thought I was too goofy collecting shit years ago, you should see what I've amassed now. :ph34r:

I've been on a real vintage RPG kick the last couple years; managed to score a lot of older 80s/90s stuff.

That's money right there... :cheers:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

Coming soon, on Storage Wars ... :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

So I started a blog for my various OSR / D&D houserules. It has a grand total of two (2) posts so far. Maybe it'll have more posts in the future.

The blog is called Binder Full of Notes.

In theory it'll lots of content, but we'll see how much I'll follow through.

celedhring

Quote from: Jacob on April 05, 2022, 01:29:35 AMSo I started a blog for my various OSR / D&D houserules. It has a grand total of two (2) posts so far. Maybe it'll have more posts in the future.

The blog is called Binder Full of Notes.

In theory it'll lots of content, but we'll see how much I'll follow through.

Interesting! I'll follow.

celedhring

My brother has been saying he wants to DM a campaign, so I was thinking of buying him a tabletop RPG for his birthday. Any recommendation? He digs medieval fantasy stuff, and we already play D&D 5e.

Old games aren't out of the question if I can track down copies on the used market.

Habbaku

Can you give some idea of what he's looking for in terms of running a game?

Does he want to come up with tactical combat scenarios for the players to solve to the best of their abilities? Is he after a game that's heavy on roleplaying and less on dice? Does he want political intrigue? High fantasy, light-on-magic fantasy? Gritty magic?

I have a lot of recommendations, possibly.  :lol:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

celedhring

He certainly digs tactical combat and the dice rolling component of the experience. He also wants an engaging background, though.

As for his tastes, he likes high fantasy stuff with a gritty touch.

Syt

If he likes tactical combat, check out The Dark Eye, maybe. Though it tends to be VERY stat heavy. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

My brother has been talking about Rune Quest. We used to play it a lot when we were both teens (I still keep all the books in a decent state), and there's a new edition out. Anybody knows if it's any good?

Darth Wagtaros

Think finding a D&D group over Discord would be good?  Anybody done it? I don't know anyone locally who'd play.
PDH!

Jacob

Playing on discord works, I think. Dunno about finding a group, but I don't see why not - and I know folks who've done it.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on April 16, 2022, 02:10:09 AMMy brother has been talking about Rune Quest. We used to play it a lot when we were both teens (I still keep all the books in a decent state), and there's a new edition out. Anybody knows if it's any good?

The current edition of RuneQuest is more tightly tied to the world Glorantha than earlier editions. Of course anything is possible to do, but as written my impression is that it's good to want to play in that world. An alternative is Mythras, which is essentially the previous version of RuneQuest, maybe slightly modified, that The Design Mechanism publishes since Chaosium took back RuneQuest for the latest edition.

NB I haven't played any of them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.