Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2019, 01:07:13 PM
Anyone ever play any of the Pendragon RPG series? I'm tempted by the forthcoming Charlemagne, but am wary of buying games that I don't have guaranteed players for these days.

I think I may have created a character many moons ago.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on April 08, 2019, 11:43:46 AM
I have a bunch of old TSR modules and boxed sets that I want to get rid of; mainly Planescape, Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft, no shrinkwrapped items, but in excellent condition, and complete.

What are the best places to try and sell them? I haven't got an ebay account, so no positive feedback, and I know it's more difficult to sell without a feedback.

L.

I don't think it is, just buy a dozen cheap $2-4 items to get some feedback, then list away, though be prepared to post abroad for top dollar.

Though personally I don't find ebay worth the hassle nowadays, clunky website and over administration etc.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Hansmeister

Quote from: Habbaku on April 09, 2019, 01:07:13 PM
Anyone ever play any of the Pendragon RPG series? I'm tempted by the forthcoming Charlemagne, but am wary of buying games that I don't have guaranteed players for these days.

I played a campaign a few years ago.  It is a great story based rpg, but some of the mechanics are somewhat clunky.  I hope now that chaosium has the rights again they'll release a new edition to give it a more modern game design mechanism. I was thinking of creating a version around a heavily modified version of the genesys system.

The grand campaign is absolutely stupendous in scope.

Habbaku

Thanks for the input, Hans. Great to see you around again!

I think that Pendragon recently came out with a 5.2 or 5.3 or something, so maybe that rules set will solve some of the clunkiness? Either way, I might as well take the plunge on Charlemagne. Won't be the first time I've bought a massive RPG tome purely for reading material.  :P
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Hansmeister

No, Stafford  treated KAP as his baby and only fiddled around the edges with the rules. I'm interested in Charlemagne as well, simply because Stafford was so compelling at creating great stories (as well as allowing players to create them).

KAP is one of the few rpgs where the non-combat play is more fun and interesting than the combat.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

saskganesh

Playing a 6th level MU (Hilroy) in a first edition AD&D game and a 3rd level Sorcerer (Sola) in a Rolemaster 2nd edition venture. Same games, still ongoing long term. I play about 3-4 sessions total a  month, which is perfect. I have had to decline playing in other games which have come my way.

I've found F2F games via Meet Up and grog forums like Dragonsfoot. Last time I was DM, most of my players came to me via word-of-mouth.
humans were created in their own image

mongers

Quote from: saskganesh on May 27, 2019, 06:02:30 PM
Playing a 6th level MU (Hilroy) in a first edition AD&D game and a 3rd level Sorcerer (Sola) in a Rolemaster 2nd edition venture. Same games, still ongoing long term. I play about 3-4 sessions total a  month, which is perfect. I have had to decline playing in other games which have come my way.

I've found F2F games via Meet Up and grog forums like Dragonsfoot. Last time I was DM, most of my players came to me via word-of-mouth.

:cool:

That's rather nice, Sasks.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

saskganesh

In RM, we are trying to track down an evil unicorn, have found the evil old temple that may be one of his lairs, and then were savaged by a vampiric rabbit Both casters fell. Sola will be OK, but the NPC bard had to be raised, meaning she is out of action for three months of game time.

The vampire bunny may actually be a shapeshift of the badass unicorn.  Great stuff.

The Minsky Moment

Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch takes care of that business.  Always carry one, near the rope and 10' pole.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 17, 2019, 03:18:46 AM
Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch takes care of that business.  Always carry one, near the rope and 10' pole.

Brother Maynard has that.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Zoupa

I signed up to a D&D session for the first time in over 20 years.

I'm excited :)

Does anyone have experience with 5th edition?

saskganesh

Quote from: Zoupa on July 27, 2019, 09:02:21 PM
I signed up to a D&D session for the first time in over 20 years.

I'm excited :)

Does anyone have experience with 5th edition?
Yet to play. I imagine a lot depends on the DM's skillz and rules knowledge, as per usual.

My impression is that everyone has more hit points but everyone does more damage and hits more often. But there's more healing.  So, longer fights. 

The Brain

Got Zweihänder, Grim & Perilous RPG. Since it's essentially Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay without the Warhammer license I'm not really sure what its purpose is (why not just play WFRP?), but it's a nice fat book and I'm a sucker for that kind of RPG books. Sure you can use it for whatever low-fantasy grimdark setting you happen to like, but the same could be said about WFRP (and some of those settings have their own RPGs like GoT or Solomon Kane). Not a criticism mind you, more just a question.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.