Terror attack in London, pedestrians hit on London bridge

Started by viper37, June 03, 2017, 05:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: mongers on June 08, 2017, 08:01:18 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 08, 2017, 01:10:50 AM
If the terrorists can clock up a couple more significant attacks in the next 2-3 months then I can see internment being re-introduced in the UK.

Hard to belief, but a newly emboldened May government might go down that cul-de-sac.

Heath's action was an equally bad and counter-productive action, but at least it was limited to one small part of the UK and there the killings were threatening to get out of hand, as that year had seen more than a hundred murdered in an area of 1.5 million people.

This year in the UK we've seen first five people killed, then twenty-two and now eight more out of 60 million, so the threat to civilised, everyday life is orders of magnitude less.

Yes. I think it would be a bad move too. There is something about locking up innocent people that gets their backs up  :P

I'm 50:50 on the internment in NI, leaning towards thinking they were a net negative. There was a lot more killing and in NI itself it was pretty close to a proper war rather than terrorism by a "tiny minority".

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 08, 2017, 10:00:58 AM
Quote from: mongers on June 08, 2017, 08:01:18 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 08, 2017, 01:10:50 AM
If the terrorists can clock up a couple more significant attacks in the next 2-3 months then I can see internment being re-introduced in the UK.

Hard to belief, but a newly emboldened May government might go down that cul-de-sac.

Heath's action was an equally bad and counter-productive action, but at least it was limited to one small part of the UK and there the killings were threatening to get out of hand, as that year had seen more than a hundred murdered in an area of 1.5 million people.

This year in the UK we've seen first five people killed, then twenty-two and now eight more out of 60 million, so the threat to civilised, everyday life is orders of magnitude less.

Yes. I think it would be a bad move too. There is something about locking up innocent people that gets their backs up  :P

I'm 50:50 on the internment in NI, leaning towards thinking they were a net negative. There was a lot more killing and in NI itself it was pretty close to a proper war rather than terrorism by a "tiny minority".

Indeed and on NI hard to say what might happened if it wasn't used. I suspect it was quite a clumsy tool and fired up a lot of nationalists to the cause.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zanza

Trump's classy best friends:
QuoteSaudi Arabia footballers ignore minute's silence for London attack victims
• Tribute held at World Cup qualifier against Australia on Adelaide
• Saudi team carry on warming up for World Cup qualifier except one player

HVC

Classy for that one guy to honour it. Shame he's going to be cut from the team.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

Quote from: HVC on June 08, 2017, 12:35:44 PM
Classy for that one guy to honour it. Shame he's going to be cut from the team.

By the traditional saudi technique of cutting off his head from his body?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Profile of another victim from the attacks - once again, someone who intervened to help a victim and fight back against the attackers: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-40226731?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Richard Hakluyt

Stressing the obvious here but note how completely multinational the victims were. Only one British citizen out of the eight people killed.

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 12, 2017, 01:18:50 AM
Stressing the obvious here but note how completely multinational the victims were. Only one British citizen out of the eight people killed.

Yes, three french people, two Australians, one Spaniard, a Canadian(?) and the one Brit.

Also note the age range, oldest I think was the French tourist aged 45.

The young, haven't and aren't being deterred by the terrorism from being out and about, so the olds shouldn't be either, nor do we need further erosion of rights and liberties to confound said terrorism.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Just goes to show you that even your tourist spots are overrun with foreigners.  So sad!

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 12, 2017, 09:17:29 AM

Just goes to show you that even your tourist spots are overrun with foreigners.  So sad!

Only sad tourists actually going to look at London Bridge itself. It isn't at all interesting to look at. The interesting version of with that name is stateside. :D

Borough Market is definitely lousy with them. :x
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

It could almost be a britain first attack
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

These people just look like they can't stand people who are not banned from fun by their religion.

Jacob

viper37

a van hit muslims as they were exiting the mosque for their midnight Ramadan prayers.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/live/2017/jun/19/north-london-van-incident-finsbury-park-casualties-collides-pedestrians-live-updates

still unsure if this was deliberate (it seems to look like it) and who did it (ISIS, or some extreme rightwing nutjob)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.