News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Brain's Defense of the Poor

Started by The Brain, May 17, 2017, 02:35:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on May 17, 2017, 08:06:22 AM

Quote from: The EconomistCountries where kids born into poor families can't go to school are inherently unjust.

Very poor countries are inherently unjust? OK The Economist, they should just magic stuff into existence.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2017, 02:35:41 PM
Very poor countries are inherently unjust? OK The Economist, they should just magic stuff into existence.

The lack of an easy fix does not make injustice less unjust.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2017, 02:37:31 PM

Yours is an extreme position. A person who is physically unable to help is typically not considered to be acting unjustly.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2017, 02:37:31 PM

lol, you really trying that with this bunch?

Malthus

Quote from: The EconomistCountries where kids born into poor families can't go to school are inherently unjust.

The article is written in the context of Western nations able to afford such things; the issue is whether that *choice* is a good one or not - with a focus on America.

Yeah, can't fault Somalia for lacking infrastructure or universal schooling - as it lacks everything.

Despite the best efforts of Trump and his ilk, America isn't quite Somalia yet:lol:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 17, 2017, 02:50:26 PM
lol, you really trying that with this bunch?

Not trying anything, just stating my position.

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2017, 02:40:29 PM
A person who is physically unable to help is typically not considered to be acting unjustly.

There's a difference between "physically unable" and "difficult". Poor countries failing to deliver education to their poorer citizens typically falls under "difficult" in my view as it's down to the allocation of limited resources.

Barrister

Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2017, 02:57:24 PM
Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2017, 02:40:29 PM
A person who is physically unable to help is typically not considered to be acting unjustly.

There's a difference between "physically unable" and "difficult". Poor countries failing to deliver education to their poorer citizens typically falls under "difficult" in my view as it's down to the allocation of limited resources.

When it comes to Somalia, they don't have a government that functions outside of Mogadishu, warlords and sepratists run almost all of the countryside.  I think it is verging on "physically unable" at this point.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

I also think one would be hard pressed to describe Somalia as a 'just' society whatever the standard of that might be.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 17, 2017, 03:03:19 PM
When it comes to Somalia, they don't have a government that functions outside of Mogadishu, warlords and sepratists run almost all of the countryside.  I think it is verging on "physically unable" at this point.

And I would argue that the war waged by warlords, separatists et. al. are perpetrating an injustice on the poor people who are denied education. Would you disagree?

Jacob

Quote from: The Brain on May 17, 2017, 04:31:00 PM
It was reasonably obvious that "very poor" in my post was about their ability to provide education to everybody. Why else would I mention it (rhetorical)?

If they are so poor that they cannot provide any education whatsoever, and are unable to generate revenue and prioritize education spending, then perhaps the injustice does not originate with the government. That does not make it any less of an injustice that the poor are not receiving an education, it just means that it is not the government's fault.

That said, in practical terms I am not sure what poor countries are unable to provide education entirely due to poverty rather than unwillingness to prioritize taxation and education policy to provide it. Do you have any examples in mind?

QuoteI expect poorshaming from some posters, but not necessarily from you.

I am not poor-shaming.

The Brain

Quote from: Jacob on May 17, 2017, 05:13:30 PM
I am not poor-shaming.

Of course not. You're just saying that they act unjustly by being poor.

Valmy

Quote from: The Brain on May 18, 2017, 10:08:06 AM
I am not poor-shaming.

You don't need vast wealth to educate your populace. South Korea did so while barely being able to feed its population.

But usually poverty indicates there are other more systemic problems besides just a lack of funds that is keeping things like free education taking place. Like a lack of effective government or a perpetual quasi-civil war.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Tamas

Quote from: Valmy on May 18, 2017, 10:20:46 AM
Quote from: The Brain on May 18, 2017, 10:08:06 AM
I am not poor-shaming.

You don't need vast wealth to educate your populace. South Korea did so while barely being able to feed its population.

But usually poverty indicates there are other more systemic problems besides just a lack of funds that is keeping things like free education taking place. Like a lack of effective government or a perpetual quasi-civil war.

Well yes, like Venezuela which should be the Norway of South America, and instead it makes Zimbabwe look like a well-run country.

But I am afraid the original "unjust" definition was meant to be taken as the world being unjust to those poor places for letting them be poor. Which is nonsense.