News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Battlestar Galactica

Started by Grallon, March 10, 2009, 07:28:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

'K...not gonna read anymore till I finish. Will start Season 4 next week.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Darth Wagtaros

It's a pity that Stargate: Universe seems to have collected the same style as BSG.  All zooming cameras and unpleasant characters without the hopeless tension.
PDH!

Josephus

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on December 15, 2009, 02:11:41 PM
It's a pity that Stargate: Universe seems to have collected the same style as BSG.  All zooming cameras and unpleasant characters without the hopeless tension.

Yeah, I was very optimistic about SG:U, but it seems to be heading nowhere very quickly
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grallon

Btw, for those interested, the prequel series to BSG - Caprica - has begun airing last friday (jan. 29th) on Syfy.

I had forgotten about it until I saw a mention about it online.  In any case I won't encourage Ron Moore any longer after the debacle of BSG's finale.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Queequeg

Is there some reason they use big gas-powered jeeps but have FTL travel, or very advanced anti-radiation equipment but nothing to fight breast cancer? Just started watching the show.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

grumbler

Quote from: Queequeg on February 03, 2010, 11:08:18 AM
Is there some reason they use big gas-powered jeeps but have FTL travel, or very advanced anti-radiation equipment but nothing to fight breast cancer? Just started watching the show.
Because it either (1) serves a plot point, or (2) looks cool.

I don't think it was ever explained why random ships had FTL drives when other solar systems were unexplored.  I think the writers just assumed no one would notice that the builders and operators of the ships had installed these large, useless devices just in time for the plot to exploit those installations - or that tiny airplane-equivelent ships like the president was on had FTL, while big ocean-liner-type ships did not.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josephus

Quote from: Grallon on February 03, 2010, 09:28:08 AM
Btw, for those interested, the prequel series to BSG - Caprica - has begun airing last friday (jan. 29th) on Syfy.

I had forgotten about it until I saw a mention about it online.  In any case I won't encourage Ron Moore any longer after the debacle of BSG's finale.

G.

It even has its own specially designated thread which YOU started last April  ;) :contract:
Civis Romanus Sum

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on February 03, 2010, 11:28:03 AM
I don't think it was ever explained why random ships had FTL drives when other solar systems were unexplored.  I think the writers just assumed no one would notice that the builders and operators of the ships had installed these large, useless devices just in time for the plot to exploit those installations -
there can be any number of reason for that.  Like, oh say, the same reason we have nuclear powered sub, nuclear powered aircraft carrier, but no nuclear powered cars?

Quoteor that tiny airplane-equivelent ships like the president was on had FTL, while big ocean-liner-type ships did not.
government plane vs private local cruiser.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Starbuck is a man.

You know, after rewatching my DVDs of the original Battlestar Galactica, I come away refreshed and knowing that all you who make yourselves unclean with this new abomination will suffer for your affront to God and man.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on February 03, 2010, 02:35:11 PM
I don't think it was ever explained why random ships had FTL drives when other solar systems were unexplored.  I think the writers just assumed no one would notice that the builders and operators of the ships had installed these large, useless devices just in time for the plot to exploit those installations -
there can be any number of reason for that.  Like, oh say, the same reason we have nuclear powered sub, nuclear powered aircraft carrier, but no nuclear powered cars?
Close.  It would be like having nuclear reactors installed in cars that are powered by gasoline engines.  The reason for having nuclear power in submarines is because the submarine uses the nuclear reactor, so it is entirely unlike the FTL drives on Colonial ships that never leave the system where the Twelve Colonies are located..

Quotegovernment plane vs private local cruiser.
Unpersuasive, even presuming that Roslin was on a government-owned craft (which I don't think was established, especially as there were non-government people aboard her ship). Why would the government put FTL in a small, short-ranged vessal to begin with?  An ocean-liner vessal might be explained as wanting to take tourists outside the system (even though no one ever went outside the system, apparently) but not the equivalent of an airplane.  A nuclear reactor on Air force One makes less sense than one on the Queen Victoria.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

C.C.R.

On the FTL thing:  the way I rationalized it to myself was that ships using FTL within the Colonial solar system vs. ships that didn't was similar to flying across the Atlantic vs. taking a ship -- the former takes hours, while the latter takes several days.  The reason the FTL drives weren't more prevalent was because of the prohibitive cost of whatever that mineral was that the drives required to run (I forget what it was & am not interested in looking it up).

Or something.  It's thin, but I have an easier time of buying the above than buying that Starbuck was a ghost...

Josquius

Because it either (1) serves a plot point, or (2) looks cool.

I don't think it was ever explained why random ships had FTL drives when other solar systems were unexplored.  I think the writers just assumed no one would notice that the builders and operators of the ships had installed these large, useless devices just in time for the plot to exploit those installations - or that tiny airplane-equivelent ships like the president was on had FTL, while big ocean-liner-type ships did not.

Was it ever established how long it took to get from one end of a solar system to the other STL?
For us going from one end of the solar system to the other takes a good few years, being able to do it in minutes would be decent.
But that they would need liners if they can just hop between planets in moments...well thats another question

edit- well not cruise ships, they're meant to be slow. But the plane replacements like what Roslin was on, they're clearly cruising through space rather than just FTLing
██████
██████
██████

DisturbedPervert

The military had gone outside of their home system in the series.  They just apparently weren't interested in exploring very far for some reason.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tyr on February 03, 2010, 03:29:11 PM
Was it ever established how long it took to get from one end of a solar system to the other STL?
For us going from one end of the solar system to the other takes a good few years, being able to do it in minutes would be decent.
But that they would need liners if they can just hop between planets in moments...well thats another question

edit- well not cruise ships, they're meant to be slow. But the plane replacements like what Roslin was on, they're clearly cruising through space rather than just FTLing

Allegedly, and I have no idea where the original reference for this is from, a fan used Roslin's ship's movements in the mini-series to calculate that the Colonial vessels were capable of about 13% of light speed when travelling sub-light, with Vipers being able to make slightly more than that.

Since I picked this up from a fanfiction site, I then immediately had to groan when these speeds were described as being used in battle...which is quite definitely never shown on screen. Since 13% of light speed is about 39000 kps, I'm pretty certain you'd flash straight past the Galactica without the human eye being able to register it if they were fighting at those speeds.
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."

Neil

Quote from: Agelastus on February 03, 2010, 04:54:41 PM
Allegedly, and I have no idea where the original reference for this is from, a fan used Roslin's ship's movements in the mini-series to calculate that the Colonial vessels were capable of about 13% of light speed when travelling sub-light, with Vipers being able to make slightly more than that.

Since I picked this up from a fanfiction site, I then immediately had to groan when these speeds were described as being used in battle...which is quite definitely never shown on screen. Since 13% of light speed is about 39000 kps, I'm pretty certain you'd flash straight past the Galactica without the human eye being able to register it if they were fighting at those speeds.
The starfighter concept is rather unrealistic anyways, at least as presented.  World War II is never coming back.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.