Forget Scots Independence - should Scotland join Canada?

Started by Barrister, April 06, 2017, 03:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Rex Francorum

Quote from: HVC on April 12, 2017, 01:47:39 PM
Quote from: Rex Francorum on April 12, 2017, 01:45:19 PM
Quote from: HVC on April 06, 2017, 05:18:32 PM
Ugh. No more Presbyterians please

And anglophones.  :ph34r: 

have you ever heard a true Scotsman? Anglophone is debatable :D

Ha ha I know that from a foreign point of view, UK = all a bunch of Anglos but it is lived very differently in UK with English, Scots, Irish and Welsh peoples.
To rent

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2017, 01:07:20 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2017, 03:48:48 PM
Quote from: viper37but the EU grants far more power to the France than Canada does to any province.
The EU has no powers to grant as the sovereign entities are the member states that confer part of their inherent powers to the EU.
I took a shortcut, yes.
The sovereign nations confer powers to the Federal (EU) authority.

In Canada, the Federal government was given authority by the British authorities and chose to give some of that power to the provinces...

This might be a grammar problem, but the British did not give authority to the Federal Government which then gave some of its power to the provinces.  The British Parliament decided the division of powers.  The British Parliament passed sections 91 and 92 of the BNA Act which creates the division of powers.   The British expressly decided against creating a Unitary state and instead decided to create a federation of provinces.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 12, 2017, 08:53:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2017, 01:07:20 PM
Quote from: Zanza on April 11, 2017, 03:48:48 PM
Quote from: viper37but the EU grants far more power to the France than Canada does to any province.
The EU has no powers to grant as the sovereign entities are the member states that confer part of their inherent powers to the EU.
I took a shortcut, yes.
The sovereign nations confer powers to the Federal (EU) authority.

In Canada, the Federal government was given authority by the British authorities and chose to give some of that power to the provinces...

This might be a grammar problem, but the British did not give authority to the Federal Government which then gave some of its power to the provinces.  The British Parliament decided the division of powers.  The British Parliament passed sections 91 and 92 of the BNA Act which creates the division of powers.   The British expressly decided against creating a Unitary state and instead decided to create a federation of provinces.

It wasn't the British who decided this - it was the Fathers of Confederation at Charlottetown.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2017, 10:17:32 PMIt wasn't the British who decided this - it was the Fathers of Confederation at Charlottetown.

The Fathers Confederation weren't British?

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2017, 10:38:15 PM
Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2017, 10:17:32 PMIt wasn't the British who decided this - it was the Fathers of Confederation at Charlottetown.

Well in those days Canadian was merely a subset of British.

Not British Parliamentarians, in any event.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 12, 2017, 11:24:26 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2017, 10:38:15 PM

Well in those days Canadian was merely a subset of British.

Not British Parliamentarians, in any event.

Well, I suppose it has been 150 years and so memory of what actually happened has dimmed.  In fact what happened is that the "Fathers of Confederation" sent a number of resolutions in favour of confederation to London for consideration by Parliament.  The BNA Act was drafted in London and passed by Parliament.

And I continue to call it the BNA Act when we talk about it during this period of time, because that is exactly what it was called.  In fact it is still called the BNA Act in Britain.  It is only proper to use the phrase "Constitution Act" after Britain no longer had legislative authority over Canada - which occurred in 1982.

Zoupa

Mais qu'est ce qu'on en a a foutre, bordel. Finalement c'est vraiment un pays de Belges, le ROC.

Razgovory

Quote from: Zoupa on April 13, 2017, 10:32:58 PM
Mais qu'est ce qu'on en a a foutre, bordel. Finalement c'est vraiment un pays de Belges, le ROC.

I'll translate this, with my excellent French skills!

"Alas, but what quest is the cheese in the brothel on.  Finally, there is clothing for the land of Belgium in the Republic of China.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Duque de Bragança

Pays de Belges is really quaint, not so used nowadays but still understood. :frog:

viper37

The British expressly decided against creating a Unitary state and instead decided to create a federation of provinces.
actually, that was part of the compromise between Cartier and McDonald to get Quebec in the Confederation.  McDonald wanted a Federal government only, with all the powers.  Cartier (and others) insisted on devolution to the provinces to get Quebec on board.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

I get viper and grallon being separatist, I don't agree, but I get it. Zoupa being one annoys me for some reason :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 14, 2017, 12:07:03 PM
The British expressly decided against creating a Unitary state and instead decided to create a federation of provinces.
actually, that was part of the compromise between Cartier and McDonald to get Quebec in the Confederation.  McDonald wanted a Federal government only, with all the powers.  Cartier (and others) insisted on devolution to the provinces to get Quebec on board.

I agree that Cartier is the person in the Colonies who is most responsible for having provincial powers.  After the Act of Union, it was the only thing that was going to make sense for what was to become Quebec.  But if the British government had wanted Canada to become a unitary state, that is likely what would have happened - just like the Act of Union.

Quote from: HVC on April 14, 2017, 12:18:49 PM
I get viper and grallon being separatist, I don't agree, but I get it. Zoupa being one annoys me for some reason :lol:

When I read posts by Oex and Rex, separatism makes a lot of sense.  When I read posts by Grallon, I wonder about the extremists attracted to the cause.  Zoupa just strikes me as grumpy and frustrated the vote didn't work out.   

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on April 14, 2017, 08:50:17 AM
Quote from: Zoupa on April 13, 2017, 10:32:58 PM

I'll translate this, with my excellent French skills!

"Alas, but what quest is the cheese in the brothel on.  Finally, there is clothing for the land of Belgium in the Republic of China.

Cheese is fromage. :frog:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?