News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NCAA Foootball 2017

Started by grumbler, April 01, 2017, 07:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Thank you MBM.  :)

Back to the thread topic, I'm becoming less and less enamored with bowl season. The playoffs take away a lot imo, and the handful of guys holding out to avoid injury before the NFL draft are a symptom of that.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: alfred russel on December 28, 2017, 05:59:05 PM

Back to the thread topic, I'm becoming less and less enamored with bowl season. The playoffs take away a lot imo, and the handful of guys holding out to avoid injury before the NFL draft are a symptom of that.

Yeah, except for the Texas game last night, I've mostly just had them on in the background and just sort of glanced over to check the scores and all that.  Not sure if it's the playoff effect or what for me, but it's basically like a typical NFL Sunday at this point, except it's a week+ long. 

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 06:03:38 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 28, 2017, 05:59:05 PM

Yeah, except for the Texas game last night, I've mostly just had them on in the background and just sort of glanced over to check the scores and all that.  Not sure if it's the playoff effect or what for me, but it's basically like a typical NFL Sunday at this point, except it's a week+ long. 

Aside from the playoffs making the other bowls less compelling, there are just too many bowl games.  It's not a matter of oversaturation per se;  it's a matter of there not being enough good teams to fill all the slots.  A team that goes 6-6 and makes a lower tier bowl and will finish with a losing record if they lose their bowl game isn't a team that deserved to be there in the first place.  I have little to no interest in watching a game with such a team in it, unless I have some particular pre-existing interest in that team.  At least we didn't have any 5-7 teams in bowl games this year, unlike the last couple of years.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 05:53:14 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 28, 2017, 05:49:25 PM
:cry:

:D  All you're doing at the moment is responding to grumbler's typical stupidity.  You'd have to randomly attack Valmy for no reason except you're a completely miserable douche who is overcompensating online for something in your real life to get to his level. 

E:  Hey VaTech has the ball back, and the early lead.   ^_^

What if you're a vitriolic francophobe, then is it ok to randomly attack Valmy?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 28, 2017, 08:18:04 PMWhat if you're a vitriolic francophobe, then is it ok to randomly attack Valmy?

Seems like that's a reason other than just being a dick. 

DPS, my team required that 6-6=bowl game rule this year (and the last time they went to a bowl game), so I don't think I'd vote to get rid of that just yet.  ;)

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 05:39:06 PM
Well then show yourself out.  You're the only one trying to stir up shit here and trying to make something out of nothing.

OK!  :lol:  I am, indeed, the only one not over-reacting to a silly Mike Leach post, which I though was funny.  Fuck Texas and all who sail in her!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 05:53:14 PM
:D  All you're doing at the moment is responding to grumbler's typical stupidity.  You'd have to randomly attack Valmy for no reason except you're a completely miserable douche who is overcompensating online for something in your real life to get to his level. 

Quoted for posterity.  ;)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 08:26:13 PM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 28, 2017, 08:18:04 PMWhat if you're a vitriolic francophobe, then is it ok to randomly attack Valmy?

Seems like that's a reason other than just being a dick. 

DPS, my team required that 6-6=bowl game rule this year (and the last time they went to a bowl game), so I don't think I'd vote to get rid of that just yet.  ;)

Sure, that falls under "particular pre-existing interest in that team".

MadBurgerMaker

While the clown continuing to shit up his own thread, like he does so many others, is vaguely amusing in a sad sort of way, there are actual games going on.  Go Cardinals.  Washington State has some guy not named Faulk playing at QB.

Also, VaTech is dead to me.   :glare:

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: dps on December 28, 2017, 09:35:55 PM

Yeah.  I also....I dunno....I find it hard to argue in favor of less football, when the offseason is so long and boring.  Not a big basketball fan, so that doesn't help.  Should probably pay attention to hockey or something.

E:  Hey touchdown Stanford.

grumbler

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 09:36:52 PM
While the loser continuing to shit up his own thread, like he does so many others, is vaguely amusing in a sad sort of way...

First Rule of Holes, dude.  :)

Bayraktar!

MadBurgerMaker

lolz TCU with the attempted hidden man trick play.

Quote from: grumbler on December 28, 2017, 09:39:29 PM

:huh:  Kind of weird that you're now posting advice to yourself.  But yeah, you should stop.  I agree.

dps

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 09:38:37 PM
Quote from: dps on December 28, 2017, 09:35:55 PM

Yeah.  I also....I dunno....I find it hard to argue in favor of less football, when the offseason is so long and boring.  Not a big basketball fan, so that doesn't help.  Should probably pay attention to hockey or something.

E:  Hey touchdown Stanford.

Yeah, a longer off-season and less total football would be the result of simply cutting back on the number of bowls.  To compensate, I think I'd be in favor of going back to 13 regular season games. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on December 28, 2017, 09:41:48 PM
lolz TCU with the attempted hidden man trick play.

Quote from: grumbler on December 28, 2017, 09:39:29 PM

:huh:  Kind of weird that you're now posting advice to yourself.  But yeah, you should stop.  I agree.

The longer the argument, the more likely you are stuck in the hole with him.   ;)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: dps on December 28, 2017, 09:44:38 PM
Yeah, a longer off-season and less total football would be the result of simply cutting back on the number of bowls.  To compensate, I think I'd be in favor of going back to 13 regular season games.

It would be something to check to make sure, but 13 would probably help with some of these crappy schedules where teams in the same conference only play each other for, what is it, like 4 years in the SEC?  Big 10 might be like that too. 

Would you expand the playoffs as well?