Computer problem, part 23987987

Started by DGuller, July 04, 2009, 03:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2009, 04:13:04 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 09, 2009, 04:11:14 PM
Best Thread ever.
Why? :unsure:

I like it. One of you has finnally decided to learn something about the tools they use all the time.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

grumbler

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 09, 2009, 04:21:37 PM
Best Thread ever.

I like it. One of you has finnally decided to learn something about the tools they use all the time.
That, plus it is nice to see someone else go through this for a change!  :lol:

My attempt to get my online store to symnchronize its sales to my quickbooks program would be an even longer, more amusing (to the rest of you), and frustrating (for me) saga than even this one.

If anyone here ever thinks about opening an online store and consideres Homestead hosting, think again.  Here is a nice gem:  when you are using their online trouble ticket process (as I am), every time you or the help desk person posts a message, the system automatically logs the user off! :frusty:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Up and running, finally.  Still going through driver installations and Windows updates, but I'm almost up to the point of having something functional.  Hopefully there will be no further drama with new RAM, so I could be 100% done by then.  Thank you all for your help and emotional support.

Monoriu

Best Thread ever.

By this logic, we have to open our TVs, telephones, stoves, washing machines, keyboards, etc etc  :lol:

Monoriu

I once bought a computer from a small one-man computer shop that assembles computers to clients' specifications.  I bought a 486-66 CPU.

Months later, I opened the case, and saw the words 486-33 on the CPU. He just overclocked it.

I swore not to trust these guys again  :mad:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2009, 08:36:00 PM
Best Thread ever.

By this logic, we have to open our TVs, telephones, stoves, washing machines, keyboards, etc etc  :lol:

It's what I do, but I'm a geek.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2009, 08:38:22 PM
I once bought a computer from a small one-man computer shop that assembles computers to clients' specifications.  I bought a 486-66 CPU.

Months later, I opened the case, and saw the words 486-33 on the CPU. He just overclocked it.

A 486-66 is just an overclocked 33. Pentium computers all operated on that premise until the Pentium II series- faster bus and clock speeds were just a matter of motherboard and multiplier settings. The only 486 that actually operated at a faster physical bus speed was the 486DX (of which I have one sitting right behind me- I've been trying to dig up a copy of Windows 3.1 to put on it for shits and giggles).
Experience bij!

Monoriu

Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 09, 2009, 09:21:05 PM

A 486-66 is just an overclocked 33. Pentium computers all operated on that premise until the Pentium II series- faster bus and clock speeds were just a matter of motherboard and multiplier settings. The only 486 that actually operated at a faster physical bus speed was the 486DX (of which I have one sitting right behind me- I've been trying to dig up a copy of Windows 3.1 to put on it for shits and giggles).

Then he should have just sold it as a 486-33.  Overclocking is not allowed in my books.

DGuller

I wouldn't trust a Hong Kong guy to build my computer.  Even in the good old USA, you could easily get cheated back when 486 was the best CPU.  I've heard plenty of stories from my family and friends.  Just like with cars, the kind of people who have to hire someone to work on their computer are also the kinds of people who would most likely remain clueless if they got cheated.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on July 09, 2009, 10:47:18 PM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on July 09, 2009, 09:21:05 PM

Then he should have just sold it as a 486-33.  Overclocking is not allowed in my books.

At that point in time, it wasn't overclocking; that was the way the processor makers increased speed. The options weren't available to end users until much later. The "486" was just a multiplier set against the bus speed.
Experience bij!

Alcibiades

Trial and error.   :thumbsup:

Good job D, haven't done this in years myself.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

DGuller

Refund from HP cleared.  :yeah: Just about the only thing they did with any sort of competence.