News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Great Story from Iran

Started by Sheilbh, July 09, 2009, 07:41:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Viking

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2009, 08:05:49 AM
Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 08:01:23 AM
What really stands out to me:
QuoteHe said his salary had been tripled since the protests erupted and that he feels numb to everything around him.
There's been rumblings in the police that the regime has had to try and control?
Yeah that and the fact that he's from outside Tehran struck me as the most interesting points.

The local police would naturally identify themselves with the protesters on the street. In Leipzig the DDR was finished when they saw that the Leipzig police were unwilling to use violence against peaceful demonstrators. At Tiananmen however, the CCP brought in soldiers from outside Beijing to do what the local militia and local police refused to do.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Siege

Sure, Iran is such a nice country.

Quote'I screamed: How dare you grab my girls'
By SABINA AMIDI, SPECIAL TO THE JERUSALEM POST

It was a relatively minor incident on the quietened streets of Teheran, but it is one that points to the depth of anti-regime antagonism felt even by some Iranians who consider themselves loyal supporters of the late Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini's revolution.

In a telephone interview with this reporter from the Iranian capital, a conservative mother of six first denounced the regime for "trying to silence the people" in the wake of last month's disputed presidential elections," and then accused its leaders of trying to "hide behind their false interpretation of the Imam's [Khomeini's] teachings. This is not what he would have wanted for our country if he was still alive," she said, "and I know his prayers will helps us prevail."

So, basicly, what this is saying is that iranian regime is not conservative enough for this woman's taste. She is accussing the goverment of being not conservative enough and of not adhering to muslim shia values.

I would like to know how this woman feels about the US.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Warspite on July 09, 2009, 09:11:52 AM
Iran is not Hungary.
Indeed.  It's much worse.  At least the Hungarians, although barbaric, have the seeds of civilization in them.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Hungarians got civilized when the Germans assraped them at Lechfeld. Otto saved their souls by killing a bunch of them.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2009, 10:06:36 AM
Iran is not Hungary.
Indeed.  It's much worse.  At least the Hungarians, although barbaric, have the seeds of civilization in them.

Hungarians had a viable civilization long before your irish forefathers learnt how to read and write. And they had to put up with the Ottoman Empire.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Neil

Quote from: Siege on July 09, 2009, 10:08:47 AM
Iran is not Hungary.

Hungarians had a viable civilization long before your irish forefathers learnt how to read and write. And they had to put up with the Ottoman Empire.
I'm not Irish. :huh:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2009, 08:16:46 AM
I think you're wrong on that, from everything I've read Iran's nowhere near as bad in terms of what you can say and the oppressiveness of the police service as the Soviet Union or Soviet bloc, or even China, though that's changing. 

Indeed.
The reason the current events are such a big deal is that the world expected Iran to behave democratically as it normally does. If it was just a regular dictatorship doing a business as normal election rig it wouldn't be such a issue.

QuoteAnd I remember speaking to a German girl, who was fluent in Arabic, who said that if Arabic speaking Western women ever had a problem in the Middle East they should confront the man, because it's such a taboo to touch an unknown woman (especially in this case).  It's the 'have you no shame, touching me' aspect (and the general behaviour of the woman) that rings relatively true to me.
Don't a lot of Arabs have messed up double standards with western women though?- at the extreme "they're probably already unclean so its fine to rape them!"
██████
██████
██████

Ed Anger

Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2009, 10:31:46 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 09, 2009, 10:08:47 AM
Iran is not Hungary.

I'm not Irish. :huh:

He wants your pot of gold. he can't help himself.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 10:35:09 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 09, 2009, 08:16:46 AM
I think you're wrong on that, from everything I've read Iran's nowhere near as bad in terms of what you can say and the oppressiveness of the police service as the Soviet Union or Soviet bloc, or even China, though that's changing. 

Indeed.
The reason the current events are such a big deal is that the world expected Iran to behave democratically as it normally does. If it was just a regular dictatorship doing a business as normal election rig it wouldn't be such a issue.
:lol:

The world expected the election to be rigged, as it in fact was.  The reason that the current events are a big deal is because the supporters of the candidates were fighting it out in the streets.  Only naive, anti-Western morons like yourself think that Iran behaves in a manner that would be considered 'democratically'.  The standards of democracy are a bit higher than that.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2009, 10:39:20 AM
:lol:

The world expected the election to be rigged, as it in fact was.  The reason that the current events are a big deal is because the supporters of the candidates were fighting it out in the streets.  Only naive, anti-Western morons like yourself think that Iran behaves in a manner that would be considered 'democratically'.  The standards of democracy are a bit higher than that.
Its a stretch to call them a democracy on a par with the west given that the candidates have to be OKed before they can run and the powers of the Supreme Leader and all that but once the election is under way they do indeed behave democratically. Only naiive, racist morons think that Iran behaves in a manner that would be considered a totalitarian dictatorship.
You shouldn't overlook that Ahmajinedad's very getting into power in the first place was a complete fluke that came about due to democracy.
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 10:46:12 AM
but once the election is under way they do indeed behave democratically.
It's been a while since rioters and armed thugs were out contesting the vote in most democracies.

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2009, 10:48:26 AM
It's been a while since rioters and armed thugs were out contesting the vote in most democracies.
It's the same in Iran. Hence this year being such a big event :contract:
██████
██████
██████

Neil

Quote from: Tyr on July 09, 2009, 10:49:51 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 09, 2009, 10:48:26 AM
It's the same in Iran. Hence this year being such a big event :contract:
Saddam won 99% of the vote without riots and whatnot.  Saddam's Iraq was apparently a better democracy than Iran.