1,500 acid attacks have been recorded in London since 2011

Started by jimmy olsen, March 17, 2017, 01:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Not what I expected when I saw that headline, but it's still super fucked up.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/1-500-acid-attacks-recorded-165918301.html

1,500 acid attacks have been recorded in London since 2011

Acid attacks in Britain's capital are soaring to new heights, new data reveals.

A Freedom of Information request submitted by the Mirror shows that between 2011 and 2016, London had nearly 1,500 cases of the devastating crime, which burns the skin and leaves victims cowering from their injuries.

In the long term, the scale of the injuries are so scarring that victims can often suffer serious psychological damage as a result of the attacks.

Last year alone, there were 431 such acid attacks – a rise of 170 cases from the year prior.

The figures match a general UK trend, in which the crime rate for such attacks has risen by 50% since 2005.

Globally, roughly 80% of victims tend to women. Attacks are often carried out by vengeful men who have had their marriage proposals or sexual advances rebuffed.

However, acid attack charities in the UK estimate that British victims are predominantly men, at roughly 71% of victims.

Jaf Shah, the executive director of the support group Acid Survivors Trust International (ASTI), told the Guardian: "Looking at the data in general, there is a fairly large probability that a high percentage of the incidents are male-on-male attacks and most likely to be gang-related.

"The numbers appear to be very high and suggest an increase, which is very concerning."

A former gang member described how acid attacks had become more acceptable and were not seen as a "big deal".

"People don't think of the consequences," he said. "It's easy to buy most of the ingredients legally...One of my cousins was done a few years ago. He was attacked on his shoulder and my uncle just dressed it for him at home.

"Acid is used as an extreme mark of dominance. It's letting the individual know I haven't killed you, but it's almost worse than that, it's a mark – on your face. It's a sinister legacy."

The difficulty and emotional trauma in reporting acid attacks can also mean that the figures are severely underinflated.

Newham, in east London, had the highest instances of acid attacks with 398 in the last six years.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Richard Hakluyt

Only about 10% of the population of Newham is British :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Borough_of_Newham#Demography

But lets not discuss that important aspect of these attacks.

Richard Hakluyt

I've had a look around and there is virtually no statistical detail (apart from hearsay) on these attacks. The limited information available (the borough breakdown) was obtained through a recent Freedom of Information request. I think a useful first stage would be to identify who the likely victims and perpetrators are. The figures for the London boroughs are very skewed, we need to know why.

Syt

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 17, 2017, 02:10:26 AM
Only about 10% of the population of Newham is British :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Borough_of_Newham#Demography

But lets not discuss that important aspect of these attacks.

Interesting, because my initial thoguht was, "Acid attacks on women? Isn't that more of an India thing?"
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

It sure sounds weird. Most of the victims being men suggests its not a carry over of the spurned lover attacks a girl sort of thing that happens in India. :/
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Popular thing in prison used to be heating baby oil to the boiling point, throw it in someone's face. That shit doesn't wipe off.  Just cooks on you.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 17, 2017, 07:28:45 PM
Popular thing in prison used to be heating baby oil to the boiling point, throw it in someone's face. That shit doesn't wipe off.  Just cooks on you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3lsJmwNO40
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 17, 2017, 07:28:45 PM

Showed that in the HBO miniseries The Night Of.