Autrian dude who kept his daughter locked away....Austrian criminal penalties?

Started by Berkut, March 17, 2009, 03:40:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Btw, the media reported today that the perp has pleaded guilty to all all charges, including homicide and slavery.

A colleague's friend works for the defense attorney in this case and supposedly said that the guy was, when you talk to him, a very nice and friendly person, making this all the creepier.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Syt

The tube tabloid titles today: "Right on! Life in prison! He won't be out till judgment day."
And they offset his photo with Hieronymus Bosch's painting "Judgment Day".   ;D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Lucidor

Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2009, 01:52:14 AMAnd they offset his photo with Hieronymus Bosch's painting "Judgment Day".

Was the picture made better or worse by this?

Syt

Quote from: Lucidor on March 23, 2009, 12:14:50 PM
Quote from: Syt on March 20, 2009, 01:52:14 AMAnd they offset his photo with Hieronymus Bosch's painting "Judgment Day".

Was the picture made better or worse by this?

Everything's better with Hieronymus.
—Stephen Jay Gould

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2009, 05:57:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2009, 05:44:44 PM
I think the US system is a joke, to be honest, especially when, as you point out, you have a case of a big number of petty crimes.
And how does the US system deal with large numbers of petty crimes Martinus?
You'd be more likely to get an answer to that question if you asked a lawyer, Barrister.  8)
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lucidor

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2009, 12:24:57 PM
Quote from: Lucidor on March 23, 2009, 12:14:50 PMWas the picture made better or worse by this?

Everything's better with Hieronymus.
I was asking if Hieronymus was better... :nerd: I guess I'll have to google for them to see for myself now.

Syt

Quote from: Lucidor on March 23, 2009, 12:59:54 PM
I was asking if Hieronymus was better... :nerd: I guess I'll have to google for them to see for myself now.

Ah, here's the picture in question:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2009, 12:25:46 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 17, 2009, 05:57:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on March 17, 2009, 05:44:44 PM
I think the US system is a joke, to be honest, especially when, as you point out, you have a case of a big number of petty crimes.
And how does the US system deal with large numbers of petty crimes Martinus?
You'd be more likely to get an answer to that question if you asked a lawyer, Barrister.  8)

Alas, I have no problem believing that a lawyer would make pronouncements well beyond their area of expertise.  You should hear some of the blow-hard defense lawyers I have to deal with...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lucidor

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Quote from: Caliga on March 18, 2009, 06:46:01 AM
Having read more details about this case, I have to say it confirms my beliefs that:

* There is no God.

* Man is inherently evil.

:(

Or perhaps God is inherently evil.
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach