Is there any free MS Word-compatible programs that aren't crap?

Started by Barrister, March 04, 2017, 06:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Have to work from home, remote access isn't working.

Can anyone suggest a Word-compatible word processor that's free, or really cheap?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 05, 2017, 12:14:04 PM
Google Docs

https://www.google.ca/docs/about/

I've generally found that it plays havoc on formatting of Office documents. Also, it seems like they wanted to make sure it was different so you get to learn again how to do things you know how to do in Office.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Barrister

I didn't wind up working from home on the weekend, as I was consumed with kids activities.  I figured if I really hammered it out I could get my factum done on Monday.

I made good progress, but on Monday afternoon I got stuck the entire afternoon waiting for defence counsel to be finished in a second courtroom. :ultra:

Anyways, so now it's 9:11, kids are in bed, and I'm frantically pounding away.  Libre Office seems quite serviceable. :thumbsup:

The test will be tomorrow when I try to re-open my file back in Word.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 06, 2017, 11:12:26 PM
The test will be tomorrow when I try to re-open my file back in Word.
Word shouldn't be a problem, except maybe some very special formatting.

Excel, on the other hand, it's a bitch for formulas.  Especially moving between languages.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Caliga

I use Open Office, but after seeing the other replies I will check out LibreOffice too.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

frunk

I've been using Apache Open Office without any issues for years, although it looks like future development isn't likely.  I'll probably check out LibreOffice as well.