Kate Winslet, in The Reader
5 (21.7%)
Michelle Williams, in Wendy & Lucy
1 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Voting closed: July 22, 2009, 07:45:21 PM

Habsburg

Quote from: garbon on July 08, 2009, 03:11:39 PM
I've only seen The Reader and Changeling. I suppose Kate acted well but then the male lead was quite wooden in his role so anyone would have come out looking good.  Angelina was good in her role but without having seen the others, I'd be quite hesitant to say her performance was best.

You realize Michael (Fiennes) is a damaged, emotionally unavailable (wooden) man by the 1970s?

Fiennes is brilliant as adult Michael, and I ball like baby at the films' end.

Darth Wagtaros

You'd think a movie with Germans in it would have more bloodhsed.
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 08, 2009, 10:12:43 AM
Only one I saw was the Reader. There wasn't enough killin' in it.
PDH!

garbon

Quote from: Habsburg on July 08, 2009, 04:32:34 PM
You realize Michael (Fiennes) is a damaged, emotionally unavailable (wooden) man by the 1970s?

Fiennes is brilliant as adult Michael, and I ball like baby at the films' end.
He doesn't come off realistically damaged nor was he provided a good backstory for being damaged (oh noes! I could have saved a woman from prison that I once loved but I can't reveal her secret that she can't read! Besides as an SS guard she must have done something bad.)

I yawned and wondered why I wasted my time.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 08, 2009, 05:17:56 PM

the movie needed more panzers.

Also: Top posting?  :lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Darth Wagtaros

IE8 I guess.
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 08, 2009, 05:31:52 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 08, 2009, 05:17:56 PM

the movie needed more panzers.

Also: Top posting?  :lol:
PDH!

Habsburg

:rolleyes:

I was deeply moved by the performances of Lena Olin, Ralph Fiennes, and Kate Winslet bitchz.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

sbr

I haven't seen any of these movies but after a very careful and scientific google.images research session I have to go with Rebecca Hall as well.

Habsburg

Quote from: katmai on July 08, 2009, 09:26:49 PM
Rebecca Hall :mmm:

It helps the cause that she delivered a great performance.  :D

Ed Anger

Quote from: Habsburg on July 08, 2009, 08:23:15 PM

I was deeply moved by the performances of Lena Olin, Ralph Fiennes, and Kate Winslet bitchz.

I was deeply asleep.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

Quote from: Martinus on July 08, 2009, 10:35:02 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 08, 2009, 12:59:49 AM
Have heard of those movies but not seen any of them, because no one I know wanted to see them, too.

What's wrong with going to movies alone? More than half of the movies I see in cinemas is alone.
I agree.  I really dislike the pressure to have an opinion immediately when I go with people.  I like the walk home from the cinema because it let's me think the film through.  I went to see 'The Wrestler' with people and thought it was good, I went back when I was alone and left convinced that it was the only very good film I'd seen that had been released that year.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Habsburg on July 08, 2009, 08:23:15 PM

I'm sorry for you? :console:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Strix

Kate Winslet!

Sadly, I have no time for movies anymore, so I haven't seen any of the aforementioned films. However, Winslet keeps getting better looking as she gets older, and her acting is usually superb, so I went with her.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

saskganesh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 08, 2009, 10:58:24 AM

Whether a movie is good or bad has little to do with whether I'll enjoy watching it. A lot of the movies I've enjoyed have been objectively bad.

I agree. :cheers:
humans were created in their own image

Razgovory

Quote from: Martinus on July 08, 2009, 12:54:04 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 08, 2009, 11:49:26 AM
Quote from: Martinus on July 08, 2009, 10:32:32 AM
Anyway I'm surprised Mme Streep wasn't mentioned for her role in "Doubt".  :mad:
Dreadful film.  Oscar baiting middle brow artiness :bleeding:
You are dead to me.  :mad:

Well that is essentially you.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017