Actress Natasha Richardson died cerebrally in Montreal Hospital

Started by Drakken, March 17, 2009, 03:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: dps on March 22, 2009, 12:06:29 PM
The moral is, never need emergency care in a French-speaking area.  Frogs are apparantly no better at that than they are at fighting Germans.   Which we  should have already learned from Princess Di.
This is actually a good point.  I remember reading a book by a doctor that was with the auto racing series.  One of the chapters was about Rick Mears, who was seriously injured in Quebec, and received woeful care.  One of the examples was that when the ambulance with him was crossing some provincial border, it had to wait for a long time for another ambulance to come and take him, due to some political issues with having the ambulance cross the border.  After reading that chapter, I resolved to take a cyanide cap with me in case I travel to Quebec and get injured there.

Martinus

Apologies for posting it in this thread, but here's a lovely communique from our usual friends:

What a bunch of detestable human beings.

Syt

The ad reminds me that a lot of the crap christian conservatives seem to spew appears to have its origin in the letters section of the New Testament.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on March 22, 2009, 02:34:11 PM
The ad reminds me that a lot of the crap christian conservatives seem to spew appears to have its origin in the letters section of the New Testament.
Yeah, fuck Paul.

Caliga

I'm pretty sure 1 Timothy doesn't make any references to America. ::)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

grumbler

I still think WBC is a deliberate farce.  It is The Onion as LARP.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2009, 04:11:32 PM
Heheh yeah you are not alone.

Or even if they aren't, they are some of the best allies gay rights movement has ever had. As proven by: Phags for Phelps: http://web.mac.com/joshkp/joshkilmer-purcell/phagsforphelpshomepage.html

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2009, 04:25:39 PM
Quote from: grumbler on March 22, 2009, 04:11:32 PM
Heheh yeah you are not alone.

Or even if they aren't, they are some of the best allies gay rights movement has ever had. As proven by: Phags for Phelps: http://web.mac.com/joshkp/joshkilmer-purcell/phagsforphelpshomepage.html
The plot thickens.... :ninja:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jaron

Quote from: Caliga on March 22, 2009, 02:48:48 PM
I'm pretty sure 1 Timothy doesn't make any references to America. ::)

I think the actual quote is "absolutely appaling! :("
Winner of THE grumbler point.

dps

Quote from: Martinus on March 22, 2009, 02:11:40 PM
Apologies for posting it in this thread, but here's a lovely communique from our usual friends:

What a bunch of detestable human beings.

When I first opened the thread today, I didn't see the top of the handbill, just the "WBC to pickett the funeral of Natasha Richardson" part, and I wonder why the World Baseball Classic would picket a funeral.  But after reading a couple of more lines, I realized that it was Phelps' bunch of fools, without having to scroll up to see the "Westboro Baptist Church" line.

grumbler

Quote from: dps on March 23, 2009, 11:43:33 AM
But after reading a couple of more lines, I realized that it was Phelps' bunch of fools, without having to scroll up to see the "Westboro Baptist Church" line.
You coulda told that from the obviously fake quotations from the Bible:

God hates divorce and remarriage! Mark 10:11.

God hates fags and fag enablers! Romans 1:19-32.

Fear God; give him the glory; come out from among the doomed-american filthy manner of life; be not a partaker of their sins! 1 Timothy 5:22

A text scan of any translation of the bible will reveal that the words "fags" and "doomed-american" do not appear at all.

One of the reasons why I suspect the whole thing is a fake.

Bayraktar!

PDH

Actually, that is a mis-statement.  The actual quote is "Domed-America" refering to the large geodesic domes that are a staple of early cyberpunk.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Ed Anger

Quote from: PDH on March 23, 2009, 12:13:53 PM
Actually, that is a mis-statement.  The actual quote is "Domed-America" refering to the large geodesic domes that are a staple of early cyberpunk.

Or my plan to enclose America in a large air-conditioned dome.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

1 Timothy 5:22

Do not ordain anyone hastily. Do not participate in the sins of others. Keep yourself pure.

Paul is talking about being careful about who you ordain because you will be responsible for whatever they do in the church's name so consider it carefully.  I am not sure what this has to do with the doomed American way of of life.

Romans 1:19-32

since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. For since the creation of the world God's invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse.

For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like mortal man and birds and animals and reptiles.

Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another.  They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed indecent acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their perversion.

Furthermore, since they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, he gave them over to a depraved mind, to do what ought not to be done. They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; they are senseless, faithless, heartless, ruthless.  Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

Paul is warning about what will happen if you practice IDOLATRY.  Basically gayness is one of the things God does to you if you start making idols and worshipping those.  This makes sense only in the context of the temple prostitution and fertility rites that used to happen back in the day.

Mark 10:11 is an infamous passage:

So he said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her.

However this only applies if you divorce your spouse for reasons other than immorality.  So if you divorce because the bitch cheated on you, you are good.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."