EU fears influx of 'British champagne' once Brexit ends food naming rules

Started by garbon, February 16, 2017, 06:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

"Throwing shade" is the model Grabon is trying to follow I believe.

viper37

Quote from: Camerus on February 16, 2017, 06:51:48 PM
I always studiously avoid the Canadian wine section of local liquor stores.    :showoff:
you should not. there are a few excellent red wines made in Quebec.
Domaine St-Jacques - Sélection rouge comes to mind.
Domaine St-Jacques - Classique blanc but only the year 2015 and the pale colored bottle.

And by next spring, you should begin to see some bottles from Les Vignes des Bacchantes made by a friend of mine, and I highly recommend it.

Outside of wine, try the Sortilège, it's a maple syrup whisky, you won't regret it!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Eddie Teach on February 16, 2017, 06:22:18 PM
I didn't know they grew grapes in England.

They were introduced by the Romans. English wine production was substantial in Medieval times but closed down c.1400 due to the deteriorating climate. It was too cold for commercial cultivation for several centuries but recent warming has made it possible again.

Gups

Quote from: celedhring on February 16, 2017, 06:10:28 PM
Can't say I have ever tried English wine, still or sparkling. Where would you even grow the stuff? Is the climate in the south warm and dry enough?

It's grown largely in the south, as you'd expect - particularly Kent, Sussex and Cornwall. In the south-east, the geology is very similar to that in Champagne. Harvests are variable but have been very good in the last few years. There's been a lot of investment in the last decade including by champagne houses such as Tattinger which has improved quality and improved economies of scale

English sparkling wine is very good. It competes with mid-range champagne in terms of quality and price. It can't compete with good vintage champagne or premium NVs like Krug but is way ahead of any other European sparkling wine except perhaps top level cava. Personally if I have £30-£40 to spend on a sparkler I now buy English rather than Champagne.

Still whites aren't bad at all. They tend to use German grapes. But at £8-£12 they aren't good value at all.

Still reds haven't made much headway. I've not tried any myself.

Valmy

During the Middle Ages, prior to the Little Ice Age I believe, English wine was supposed to be pretty good IIRC.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."