Why Saying ‘Radical Islamic Terrorism’ Isn’t Enough

Started by viper37, February 13, 2017, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The line usually trotted out around here is that they don't want to give ISIS a whiff of legitimacy by openly calling them "state".

Also they apparently hate to be called Daesh so that's good.

viper37

Daesh is their official name (acronym) in arabic, I don't see why they would hate it, it's what they call themselves...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Camerus

Quote from: Solmyr on February 13, 2017, 04:31:42 PM
So, will we be allowed to call the US under President Pence a fundamentalist theocracy rather than a republic?

Sure, if that's what it actually were, using that correct label would be highly important.

celedhring

Quote from: viper37 on February 15, 2017, 10:37:04 AM
Daesh is their official name (acronym) in arabic, I don't see why they would hate it, it's what they call themselves...

https://blog.ap.org/announcements/now-we-say-the-islamic-state-group-instead-of-isil

QuoteSeveral residents in Mosul, Iraq's second-largest city which fell to the extremist group in June, told The Associated Press that the militants threatened to cut the tongue of anyone who publicly used the acronym Daesh, instead of referring to the group by its full name, saying it shows defiance and disrespect. The residents spoke anonymously out of fear for their safety.

I have seen it reported elsewhere that it can be used pejoratively in Arabic.

Josquius

QuoteWe are not putting "so called" in front of People's Republic of China, though, not to mention the 47 other cases where the declared name of a country/faction goes against reality.

I think it should be called Islamic State, and then promptly dismantled and bombed to oblivion, so it becomes obvious what Islamism can achieve.

China aren't a group of unrecognised rebels. We acknowledge that they are China and so do them the courtesy of using the name they choose.
Imagine a rebel group going around calling itself "The Rightful Government of India". I doubt the media would use that name straight either.

Quote from: viper37 on February 15, 2017, 10:37:04 AM

It's an Arabic acronym for ISIL that sounds unfortunately close to the Arabic word for crushing something under foot.
Wonder if its part of why they changed to just IS :hmm:
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

PJL

Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2017, 11:01:13 AM
QuoteWe are not putting "so called" in front of People's Republic of China, though, not to mention the 47 other cases where the declared name of a country/faction goes against reality.

I think it should be called Islamic State, and then promptly dismantled and bombed to oblivion, so it becomes obvious what Islamism can achieve.

China aren't a group of unrecognised rebels. We acknowledge that they are China and so do them the courtesy of using the name they choose.
Imagine a rebel group going around calling itself "The Rightful Government of India". I doubt the media would use that name straight either.

No need to imagine, just see Taiwan official's name.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tamas on February 15, 2017, 08:01:26 AM
We are not putting "so called" in front of People's Republic of China, though, not to mention the 47 other cases where the declared name of a country/faction goes against reality.

Perhaps a better example would have been the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, since China is technically a republic.

Josquius

Quote from: PJL on February 15, 2017, 02:30:19 PM
Quote from: Tyr on February 15, 2017, 11:01:13 AM

No need to imagine, just see Taiwan official's name.

Good point.
Efforts are actively made to avoid that. 
██████
██████
██████