Some minor Central American country
1 (3.8%)
Wild card - some other place
5 (19.2%)
Most likely Trump will fight no wars in his one or two terms in office
8 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Jacob

Trump has four years, has a record of wanting to push people around and establish he's the top dog, and seems enamoured with US military might.

As well, military conflict tends to cause the US to rally around their president, at least to some extent, so it may well seem politically expedient for the president to fight a war.

What, in you view, is the most likely place Trump's first war* will happen?

Please feel free to elaborate on the where and why.

*by war I mean any military conflict where ground troops are committed in numbers greater than a few thousand and continually engaged in combat for more than a few weeks, rather than a purely air based campaign (i.e. Panama, Grenada, Desrt Storm 1 and 2, Afghanistan qualify but the bombing runs in Syria and Libya do not f. ex.)

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Grey Fox

Wild Card vote - Civil War.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

celedhring

I can't see any war with boots on the ground involved, unless there's another 9/11-like event involved. The political cost is way too heavy.

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on January 30, 2017, 08:45:35 AM
None

Agreed.  All hat, no cattle.  He'll launch some air raid someplace in retaliation for an attack, then announce that it was a total, overwhelming success, declare complete victory, and that will be the end of it.  This may happen three or four times.  Trump has no interest in fighting wars.  They would cramp his style.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on January 30, 2017, 08:51:30 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on January 30, 2017, 08:45:35 AM
None

Agreed.  All hat, no cattle.  He'll launch some air raid someplace in retaliation for an attack, then announce that it was a total, overwhelming success, declare complete victory, and that will be the end of it.  This may happen three or four times.  Trump has no interest in fighting wars.  They would cramp his style.

I hope you are right.

Berkut

The danger however is that he tries that with someone who isn't willing to just call it a day after a couple rounds of bombing. Like China. Or North Korea.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

FunkMonk

I think, ultimately, Trump is a massive pussy. He would back down if the Chinese or the Russians or whatever made a serious stand against him.

I can see Bannon pushing for massive nuclear exchange though, so it's 50-50.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 30, 2017, 08:45:38 AM
Wild Card vote - Civil War.

Like I said, if we get in a civil war, we're taking you all with us.  :menace:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

viper37

I voted middle-east, because I thought it would include airstrikes&such.  But if we exclude airstrikes and special forces operations against government targets, than it would be China.

He will push China until they retaliate, and I think they understand his policies as good as he does.  It might even play in Putin's favour that the US and China engage in a warmer war together.  It'll give him lots of leeway to pursue some interests toward the Baltic States.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

The Brain

None. He sucks the cocks of foreign leaders, he doesn't fight them.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 30, 2017, 11:20:53 AM
None. He sucks the cocks of foreign leaders, he doesn't fight them.

Don't let him hear you say that, or he might go to war with Sweden. :uffda:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Zanza

I think he could escalate the war against ISIS in a repetition of The Surge. So I voted the first option.