News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

March Madness 2017

Started by derspiess, March 10, 2017, 10:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Berkut on March 20, 2017, 07:32:49 AM
The ACC, clearly the best conference in the nation! They got *NINE* teams into the tournament!

Of course, 8 of those 9 were gone the first weekend.

Doesn't this happen nearly every time a conference is seen as especially strong, and gets some huge number of teams into the tournament?

It happened to the Big 12 last year, and happened to the Big East a couple times when the conference was really loaded.  But I did get tired of hearing how awesome the ACC was.  Dick Vitale can STFU now.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on March 20, 2017, 09:36:12 AM

It happened to the Big 12 last year, and happened to the Big East a couple times during.  But I did get tired of hearing how awesome the ACC was.  Dick Vitale can STFU now.

Not yet. North Carolina is still alive and can win it all.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

derspiess

I was in front of a TV for practically every minute of all 4 days, except for part of the first game yesterday since my kid had his first baseball game.  It has been a very enjoyable tournament so far, despite zero buzzer beaters and no major upsets in the first round.

Happy to see WVU claw its way into the Sweet 16.  ND did not miss a foul shot, but thankfully WVU's defense was able to shut them down otherwise.  Not shocked at all to see 11-seed Xavier in the Sweet 16.  You never bet against them in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the tourney, no matter where they're seeded.  Sort of the same for Meatchicken-- they are a hot team and hot teams win tourney games-- and you gotta love Beilein.

Duke's loss hurt my brackets but not mortally.  So on balance I'm happy to see them out.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Some of you might be interested in Mo Wagner's piece in the Player's Tribune.  https://www.theplayerstribune.com/moritz-wagner-michigan-basketball-airplane/

Mo is a German who came to play for Michigan rather than going pro in Germany.  He has an interesting outsider's perspective on American college sports and the utility of assembling a basketball team made up entirely of airplane crash survivors.

He reminds me a lot of the German exchange students that I have taught:  focused on getting done whatever needs to get done in order to succeed.  Not out of the fear of shame, like my Chinese exchange students, but just because that's the only way they think anyone can be successful.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on March 23, 2017, 02:54:20 PM
Some of you might be interested in Mo Wagner's piece in the Player's Tribune.  https://www.theplayerstribune.com/moritz-wagner-michigan-basketball-airplane/

Mo is a German who came to play for Michigan rather than going pro in Germany.  He has an interesting outsider's perspective on American college sports and the utility of assembling a basketball team made up entirely of airplane crash survivors.

He reminds me a lot of the German exchange students that I have taught:  focused on getting done whatever needs to get done in order to succeed.  Not out of the fear of shame, like my Chinese exchange students, but just because that's the only way they think anyone can be successful.

Sigh. Michigan. The best combo of sports excellence and great academic school and the right college culture to be found in America, with *maybe* the exception of Stanford.

Great bit.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on March 23, 2017, 03:07:09 PM
Sigh. Michigan. The best combo of sports excellence and great academic school and the right college culture to be found in America, with *maybe* the exception of Stanford.

Great bit.

And the funny thing is that the best coach at Michigan isn't Beilein or Harbaugh, it is softball coach Carol Hutchins.  She's won the B10 crown more than half the 31 years she has been at Michigan, has a winning percentage north of .750, and coached the first SB team from east of the Mississippi to ever win a national championship.  This despite the fact that NCAA scheduling restrictions force Michigan softball to play 3/4 of their games as away games.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

frunk

This is the bracket of truth.

Personally I'm rooting for Andy Brandy Casagrande IV although YourMajesty Lumpkins is a strong contender.

derspiess

Great win for X. Hell of a game.

Sorry to see Michigan lose.

WVU lost on their own merits (lack of shooting) but one of the shittiest officiated games I've seen, both ways.

Kansas is flat out scary. Would not want to play them right now.

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Ed Anger

IU stole UD's coach. The whining from the local news was delicious. UD FAGS
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Heard that JT3 got shitcanned.  Good time.  Loyalty is nice, so are wins.

sbr

30 years ago tonight was the debut of One Shining Moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OuJAxXWrno

I recognize and can name more players and coaches from this 30 year old video than I could watching the last 10 put together.

Was really surprised to see Dave  Wannstedt on UCLA's coaching staff though.

sbr

That 1987 Tournament was the first one I remember doing a bracket for.  It wasn't competitive, I don't even know if bracket pools were a thing back then, I just did it myself for shits and giggles.  I hand drew the entire thing out on 4 sheets of 8."x11" paper that were all taped together and hung on the fridge with magnets.

I mostly remember it because I did so ridiculously well on it.  I had Indiana beating Syracuse in the final game, and while I don't remember details and don't have the bracket anymore (obviously) I recall getting a silly number of game correct throughout the entire thing.

God I loved college basketball back then, it was my absolute thing.