Does torture usually work?

Yes
7 (25%)
No.
21 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 27

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on January 26, 2017, 10:30:43 AM
It does if your goal is getting someone to tell you something you want to hear.

Which is a huge problem in the real world where there is always temptation to use intelligence info to support pre-existing conclusions and policies.  I.e. we have this huge national security problem with witches curses, we know this because when we torture the witches, they confess their diabolical curses. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on January 26, 2017, 10:26:41 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 26, 2017, 10:19:01 AM
I better general question would be something like "Ignoring the moral implications, can torture be an effective means under some circumstances of extracting useful information?"

I think the answer to that question is "Yes".

I mean I guess that's better as it has an answer choice that makes sense (unlike current poll) but a little too akin to Der's silly poll that had only one real answer. :P

Yes.  That question only has one answer. Too obvious.
In this one we are asking does it get a accurate result in more than half of cases.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Quote from: Grinning_Colossus on January 26, 2017, 09:28:06 AM
It's effective at extracting confessions, and torturers often gain a good deal of enjoyment from it. It presumably also discourages people from opposing the torturing authority.

Indeed. My impression is the answer is yes.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Question is vague.  Work doing what?  It certainly hurts, so in that sense torturing works.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

CountDeMoney

Nine out of 10 ex-girlfriends say Yes.
One was unavailable for comment.

grumbler

Of course torture works.  If you try hard enough to hurt someone, you will succeed.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

I suggest anyone interested in this question dig up Mark Bowden's excellent article from a few years back in the Atlantic.

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on January 26, 2017, 10:27:51 AM
Well if you use enough torture SOMEBODY will tell you what you want to hear, that's for sure. I guess that makes it highly efficient.

If the goal is to actually extract actionable intelligence "what you want to hear" is both not useful, and usually not even known to the person being interrogated.

Thanks for explaining my point  ;)

dps

Quote from: grumbler on January 26, 2017, 12:26:14 PM
Of course torture works.  If you try hard enough to hurt someone, you will succeed.

I dunno.  If a lot of posters here aren't any better at torture than they are at setting up polls, attempts at torture by them might actually make their intended targets feel better.

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2017, 10:32:56 AM
Quote from: Berkut on January 26, 2017, 10:19:01 AM
I better general question would be something like "Ignoring the moral implications, can torture be an effective means under some circumstances of extracting useful information?"

That's a better general question but still not a good one.  It's a very low bar.  Just about any technique can be effective under *some* circumstances, e.g. the broken clock tells the time correctly twice every day.  There are whole categories of game theoretic problems where the optimal strategy is to randomly vary responses, but that doesn't mean that a magic 8-ball or a quarter is a useful decision making tool. 

It's true that torture is likely to yield information - the question is how useful or reliable that information and what cost is to be assigned to the receipt of unreliable information.  If it turns out ex post that you can point to individual instances where the information turned out to be useful, that doesn't mean it makes sense as a technique to use a priori. 

No argument from me.

I think torture is a pretty terrible idea*, but I think the attempt to pretend like it is cannot be effective is both morally suspect and intellectually dishonest.

It is a terrible thing to do. Full stop. It is not terrible because it doesn't work. It's efficacy is irrelevant to it's repugnance.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2017, 10:37:03 AM

Which is a huge problem in the real world where there is always temptation to use intelligence info to support pre-existing conclusions and policies.  I.e. we have this huge national security problem with witches curses, we know this because when we torture the witches, they confess their diabolical curses. 

Indeed. One of many reasons why we should not torture people.

Or put people in interrogation rooms for 16 hours until they "confess" to a crime just to get out of the damn room.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: dps on January 26, 2017, 12:52:25 PM
Quote from: grumbler on January 26, 2017, 12:26:14 PM

I dunno.  If a lot of posters here aren't any better at torture than they are at setting up polls, attempts at torture by them might actually make their intended targets feel better.

Why drag poor spicey into this?

0 rows returned

derspiess

Hey man, that ended up being a fun discussion that went on for pages.  SUCCESS
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on January 26, 2017, 01:09:03 PM
Hey man, that ended up being a fun discussion that went on for pages.  SUCCESS

That is OUR success, not yours! :P

0 rows returned

Barrister

Quote from: Berkut on January 26, 2017, 12:55:24 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 26, 2017, 10:37:03 AM

Indeed. One of many reasons why we should not torture people.

Or put people in interrogation rooms for 16 hours until they "confess" to a crime just to get out of the damn room.

Lengthy interviews are not torture, and really should not be equated.

But yes, even confessions should generally be confirmed with some kind of hard evidence, or with the confession including details that only the guilty party would know.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.