News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Dental drama, aka America sucks

Started by merithyn, January 25, 2017, 12:37:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

A couple of years ago, I had to have a tooth pulled because I couldn't afford to have a root canal and crown. It's pretty far back in my mouth, so it's not that obvious, but I still hate that there is this hole. Now, the tooth right next to that one will likely have to be pulled because it's been damaged enough that a root canal and crown may not be possible.

I want the space filled, so I was trying to decide between a bridge or implants. Did a little research, and holy shit, the price difference is insane!

Bridge: Lasts maybe 5-10 years, and by most accounts are a major pain in the ass
Cost: $3200 at $800/tooth needing replaced (it would be four because they destroy the teeth on either side of the gap to fit the bridge)
Insurance for bridge: $1000
Total for Meri: $2200 (refundable through my FSA; still my money, but at least tax-free)

Implants: Lasts 20-30 years, and by all accounts is the far superior way to go
Costs: $7500 at ~$4000 for first one and $3500 for second one
Insurance for Implants: $1000
Total for Meri: $6500 ($2500 of which is refundable through my FSA)

I was talking on Facebook about this, and a friend of mine sent me a private message with a link to her dentist's information... in Costa Rica. She goes there for all of her "extra" dental work that insurance only covers slightly, if at all.

Implants in CR: $850 for two
Cost to travel: $1500 at $750 x 2 (have to go twice for implants)
Insurance coverage: $0
Total for Meri: $2350 ($850 of which is refundable through my FSA)

Guess who's going on vacation to Costa Rica this fall?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Zanza

Trump is going to make you pay a 35% tax on importing your new teeth to the USA and stealing the work from a good hard-working American dentist.

merithyn

Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2017, 12:41:05 PM
Trump is going to make you pay a 35% tax on importing your new teeth to the USA and stealing the work from a good hard-working American dentist.

Fuck Trump.  :punk:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

celedhring

I just looked it up. Implants cost 500€ apiece under my insurance.

viper37

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2017, 12:37:20 PM
A couple of years ago, I had to have a tooth pulled because I couldn't afford to have a root canal and crown. It's pretty far back in my mouth, so it's not that obvious, but I still hate that there is this hole. Now, the tooth right next to that one will likely have to be pulled because it's been damaged enough that a root canal and crown may not be possible.

I want the space filled, so I was trying to decide between a bridge or implants. Did a little research, and holy shit, the price difference is insane!

Bridge: Lasts maybe 5-10 years, and by most accounts are a major pain in the ass
Cost: $3200 at $800/tooth needing replaced (it would be four because they destroy the teeth on either side of the gap to fit the bridge)
Insurance for bridge: $1000
Total for Meri: $2200 (refundable through my FSA; still my money, but at least tax-free)

Implants: Lasts 20-30 years, and by all accounts is the far superior way to go
Costs: $7500 at ~$4000 for first one and $3500 for second one
Insurance for Implants: $1000
Total for Meri: $6500 ($2500 of which is refundable through my FSA)

I was talking on Facebook about this, and a friend of mine sent me a private message with a link to her dentist's information... in Costa Rica. She goes there for all of her "extra" dental work that insurance only covers slightly, if at all.

Implants in CR: $850 for two
Cost to travel: $1500 at $750 x 2 (have to go twice for implants)
Insurance coverage: $0
Total for Meri: $2350 ($850 of which is refundable through my FSA)

Guess who's going on vacation to Costa Rica this fall?
Yeah, I heard about a pretty good dentist in Mexico too, a guy who studied in Quebec but decided to move over there.
Dental costs are insane here too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

I've never even had a cavity.

No Costa Rica vacations for me.  :(
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 25, 2017, 02:28:07 PM
I've never even had a cavity.

No Costa Rica vacations for me.  :(

Cavities don't mean shit as you get older.  It's all about the gums.

LaCroix

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 25, 2017, 02:29:54 PMCavities don't mean shit as you get older.  It's all about the gums.

a google search on gum disease and flossing got me this

http://www.today.com/health/there-s-little-proof-flossing-protects-your-teeth-or-gums-t101389

what the fuck

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on January 25, 2017, 12:42:50 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 25, 2017, 12:41:05 PM

Fuck Trump.  :punk:

Nasty woman  :P
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on January 25, 2017, 01:21:50 PM
I just looked it up. Implants cost 500€ apiece under my insurance.

Yeah, a good friend of mine had a load of dental work done last time he was visiting relatives in Southern Spain.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Why do you Brits need dental work when you have Hedley & Wyche toothpaste??

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Fate

Meh. Dentists make like ~170k a year after going ~200k into debt for dental school plus another ~40k for college. Good on them for making some money after spending all of their 20s in higher ed going into mountains of debt.

I don't know anything about the dental insurance market. Are there no plans in Iowa with higher annual maximums?

Valmy

Quote from: Fate on January 25, 2017, 07:11:25 PM
Meh. Dentists make like ~170k a year after going ~200k into debt for dental school plus another ~40k for college. Good on them for making some money after spending all of their 20s in higher ed going into mountains of debt.

Good for them, not so good for those of us with teeth though.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Fate on January 25, 2017, 07:11:25 PM
I don't know anything about the dental insurance market. Are there no plans in Iowa with higher annual maximums?

Illinois.