If the Republicans decide Trump has to go....how will they go about it?

Started by Berkut, January 18, 2017, 09:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 18, 2017, 02:00:55 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 18, 2017, 10:02:17 AM
If he's ousted by a Republican coup, it will confirm the beliefs of everyone who thinks that political elites will protect power for themselves and will not allow outsiders into important positions.
a valuable lesson...

Blatantly an untrue one. Outsiders regularly get elected to every office imaginable. For all the good it usually does us.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 01:33:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 10:26:16 AM
Quote from: viper37 on January 18, 2017, 10:22:38 AM

For impeachment, it would need to be about treason.

Two Presidents have been impeached and in neither case was it for treason.
what I meant is, to rally everyone behind (well, 2/3 of the Senates and the public opinion).
I'm unconvinced that simply spying on the other camp, as Nixon did, would be an impeachable offense in today's political climate.  Many Republicans seemed to approve of the DNC hack.

Any sort of crime and misdemeanor is sufficient if the President is adequately hated. I am not even sure what crime Andrew Johnson committed and he only survived by one vote.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Syt

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 02:02:20 PM
If he's ousted by a Republican coup, it will confirm the beliefs of everyone who thinks that political elites will protect power for themselves and will not allow outsiders into important positions.
a valuable lesson...

Blatantly an untrue one. Outsiders regularly get elected to every office imaginable. For all the good it usually does us.

Not saying that it's true, just that a vocal group will see it that way. And you'll likely hear about it longer than about Benghazi.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 02:02:20 PM
a valuable lesson...

one swallow does not a summer make.

Especially not of outsiders can be co-opted into the system.

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 18, 2017, 02:18:16 PM

Even if not co-opted they all learn to work together eventually. Which is why the system is fine allowing outsiders into important positions. If it didn't the system would have long since ceased to exist.

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 02:24:58 PM
Even if not co-opted they all learn to work together eventually. Which is why the system is fine allowing outsiders into important positions. If it didn't the system would have long since ceased to exist.

For a not-insignificant proportion of the outsider supporters, anything short of "tear down the system completely and usher in utopia (and/or really hurt people I don't like)" counts as co-opting.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Grey Fox on January 18, 2017, 01:48:01 PM
Please remember that Mike Pence is way worse than Trump.

Domestically, in some way he is.

But he's much less likely to get millions of people killed and destroy 70 years of American foreign policy. Something that makes him far more palatable than Trump.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 02:24:58 PM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 18, 2017, 02:18:16 PM

which is an excellent way to protect wealth and influence. Those that can't be co-opted leave quickly enough, the rest joins. And if a revolution does happen, a new elite is formed and cycle starts again.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Valmy

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on January 18, 2017, 02:43:16 PM
which is an excellent way to protect wealth and influence. Those that can't be co-opted leave quickly enough, the rest joins. And if a revolution does happen, a new elite is formed and cycle starts again.

The best way to protect wealth and influence is, indeed, to be inclusive. Trying to keep people out is how revolutions happen.

But, last I checked, government civil servants are not exactly the super wealthy.

Habbaku

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2017, 02:35:26 PM

I prefer Pence :)

Over Trump?  Absolutely.  People that have convinced themselves that Pence is worse than Trump are fooling themselves.  Pence can do damage.  Trump can destroy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

Quote from: derspiess on January 18, 2017, 02:35:26 PM

I prefer Pence :)

So do I, and it isn't even close.

Pence is a right wing ignorant dumbass, but he isn't personally a despicable human being. He would be a bad President, but has no potential to be a catastrophically bad President.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

dps

Quote from: Valmy on January 18, 2017, 02:03:20 PM

Any sort of crime and misdemeanor is sufficient if the President is adequately hated. I am not even sure what crime Andrew Johnson committed and he only survived by one vote.

He was accused of violating the Tenure in Office Act.  And, technically,for what it's worth, he was guilty of doing so, if you think the Act was constitutional.  The Supreme Court did eventually rule that it was unconstitutional, but not until 1913, IIRC.  Of course, after Johnson was acquitted, everybody ignored the Act anyway.

CountDeMoney

Yeah, if you're a woman.  We have to pick our battles here, though.