Would you give up a second Obama term to avoid a Trump presidency?

Started by derspiess, January 11, 2017, 12:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which scenario is less bad?

Romney defeats Obama in 2012 & is re-elected in 2016; no Trump candidacy
31 (67.4%)
Obama defeats Romney in 2012 & Trump defeats Hillary in 2016
5 (10.9%)
Jaron defeats Jaron in 2012, but then Jaron comes back to beat Jaron in 2016
10 (21.7%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Valmy

Agree Sanders is horrible and scary. However, he would have had little ability to implement his terrible policies since the Republicans control almost everything else.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on January 11, 2017, 12:45:36 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2017, 12:41:21 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 11, 2017, 12:34:09 PM
I think it's more in keeping with the spirit of the original question to think of people who would be worse than Trump.

Here's my list:

Bernie Sanders? :hmm:

Trump does have some positives - some of his cabinet appointments have been solid, he promises to appoint conservative USSC justices, that mitigate against his general awfulness.  A hard-left President like Sanders isn't as awful a human being, but he doesn't have any positives to bring to the table either.

:rolleyes:

I was talking to Yi, not you.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Jacob

Quote from: Valmy on January 11, 2017, 12:48:46 PM
Yeah well let's see who he appoints.

I'd definitely prefer Yi to appoint any new Supreme Court Judges, but I don't think it'll happen.

Jacob

As for the poll question, Romney in 2012 if it means no Trump without a doubt.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on January 11, 2017, 12:41:21 PM
Trump does have some positives - some of his cabinet appointments have been solid, he promises to appoint conservative USSC justices, that mitigate against his general awfulness.  A hard-left President like Sanders isn't as awful a human being, but he doesn't have any positives to bring to the table either.

My understanding is they are all social conservatives, not my preferred flavor of conservative.

Berkut

Yeah, the fact that spicey has so partaken of the Kool Aid of the Rush Limbaugh wing on the conservatives that he thinks this would even be an interesting question is way more interesting than the actual question.

The difference between Obama and Romney is a sliver compared to the difference between Trump and pretty much anyone, including his fellow Republicans.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

This question is a complete no-brainer, as long as Romney is only marginally better than Trump.  It doesn't matter how good of a president Obama was.  The only quality of his that will turn out to matter are his political skills, which are atrocious.  It is this lack of political skills that will multiply by zero all his achievements, and leave us with an extremely destructive political party holding all levers of power on top of that.

frunk

DGuller

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Minsky Moment

The leading candidate for Trump's supreme court pick is Diane Sykes.
Here's one of her leading opinions:  https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6601456173694501289&hl=en&as_sdt=6&as_vis=1&oi=scholar

QuoteSIU also claims CLS violated the university's Affirmative Action/EEO policy, which states that SIU will "provide equal employment and education opportunities for all qualified persons without regard to[, among other things,] sexual orientation." We are skeptical that CLS violated this policy. . . . In response to the law school's inquiry about its membership policies, CLS explained that it interprets its statement of faith to allow persons "who may have homosexual inclinations" to become members of CLS as long as they do not engage in or affirm homosexual conduct. The same is true of unmarried heterosexual persons: heterosexual persons who do not participate in or condone heterosexual conduct outside of marriage may become CLS members; those who engage in unmarried heterosexual conduct and do not repent that conduct and affirm the statement of faith may not. CLS's membership policies are thus based on belief and behavior rather than status, and no language in SIU's policy prohibits this

Bottom line: it is not discrimination against gays to discriminate against anyone who "affirms homosexual conduct"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 11, 2017, 01:32:40 PM
The leading candidate for Trump's supreme court pick is Diane Sykes.
Here's one of her leading opinions:  https://scholar.google.com/scholar_case?case=6601456173694501289&hl=en&as_sdt=6&as_vis=1&oi=scholar

QuoteSIU also claims CLS violated the university's Affirmative Action/EEO policy, which states that SIU will "provide equal employment and education opportunities for all qualified persons without regard to[, among other things,] sexual orientation." We are skeptical that CLS violated this policy. . . . In response to the law school's inquiry about its membership policies, CLS explained that it interprets its statement of faith to allow persons "who may have homosexual inclinations" to become members of CLS as long as they do not engage in or affirm homosexual conduct. The same is true of unmarried heterosexual persons: heterosexual persons who do not participate in or condone heterosexual conduct outside of marriage may become CLS members; those who engage in unmarried heterosexual conduct and do not repent that conduct and affirm the statement of faith may not. CLS's membership policies are thus based on belief and behavior rather than status, and no language in SIU's policy prohibits this

Bottom line: it is not discrimination against gays to discriminate against anyone who "affirms homosexual conduct"

BS.  CLS is clearly discriminating (and also discriminates against those who engage in unmarried heterosexual conduct).  But it's allowed to because it's a religious organization following the tenets of it's faith.  This is an easily defensible decision.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

LaCroix

that's not the bottom line

CLS prohibited non-marital sex. technically speaking, the judge is right.  ;)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 11, 2017, 01:39:03 PM
that's not the bottom line

CLS prohibited non-marital sex. technically speaking, the judge is right.  ;)

No technically speaking she's wrong.  CLS separately prohibits "affirmation" of homosexual conduct, of any kind under any circumstance.  That is exactly what the university policy prohibits.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson