News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Snowden Revisited

Started by DontSayBanana, January 09, 2017, 11:56:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

In an effort to avoid threadjacking Ank (feel free to merge if unnecessary), what is this stuff about Snowden?  Did I miss a major development and the two major camps have gotten merged into one with new info, or am I still justified in thinking the kid is a self-righteous twit who did a wrong thing for the wrong reasons, accidentally including a right thing, but who still lacks the basic self-awareness or even basic understanding of Russian civics to realize he only gets to stay in Russia because Putin considers him a useful idiot?
Experience bij!

Alcibiades

Nope, hes still a delusional piece of shit.
Wait...  What would you know about masculinity, you fucking faggot?  - Overly Autistic Neil

OTOH, if you think that a Jew actually IS poisoning the wells you should call the cops. IMHO.   - The Brain

PRC

For Russia he was (possibly still is) a useful idiot.

Zoupa

Quote from: Alcibiades on January 10, 2017, 12:21:58 AM
Nope, hes still a delusional piece of shit.

How so?

Genuine question. I didn't delve into Snowden much apart from what I heard on the news, "whistleblower, said the NSA was way overstepping their mission".

Valmy

Delusions of grandeur mostly. I thought he was basically a good guy at the time, even though Ank insisted otherwise pretty passionately. Now he seems to be a pretty self important idiot.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Snowden's not a whistleblower.  There's no evidence whatsoever that he had in mind any reforms.  He didn't take his case to anyone with the power to reform the abuses he supposedly decried.  All the evidence we have is that he was a regular old spy who blew his cover to give the Russians cover for publicly releasing the documents he stole that the Russians thought would embarrass the US.  90% of what he gave the Russians was never published.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 09, 2017, 11:56:11 PM
am I still justified in thinking the kid is a self-righteous twit who did a wrong thing for the wrong reasons, accidentally including a right thing, but who still lacks the basic self-awareness or even basic understanding of Russian civics to realize he only gets to stay in Russia because Putin considers him a useful idiot?

yes
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2017, 10:42:30 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on January 09, 2017, 11:56:11 PM
am I still justified in thinking the kid is a self-righteous twit who did a wrong thing for the wrong reasons, accidentally including a right thing, but who still lacks the basic self-awareness or even basic understanding of Russian civics to realize he only gets to stay in Russia because Putin considers him a useful idiot?

yes

I think that is likely the best possible case interpretation of what he did.

The likely case is that he is simply engaged in espionage.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

when did the espionage theory develop?

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: LaCroix on January 10, 2017, 11:12:26 AM

When he deliberately stole highly classified documents and gave them to foreign powers.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Valmy

Quote from: LaCroix on January 10, 2017, 11:12:26 AM

The very second we ever heard about him. At least on this board.

I was really surprised about how quickly he was denounced by people on this board, especially Ank who knows a thing or two about the intelligence community I think.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

LaCroix

I guess I missed those arguments. cdm's article the other day seemed like new territory.

The Minsky Moment

If you read the espionage statute, there isn't much argument about Snowden's guilt.  And he's already been charged.  He's not hanging around Moscow just for the borscht.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

He stole a bunch of documents and then handed them to a dictator who is the clear and unambiguous enemy of the United States.

Now, it is possible he did this for noble reasons.

It is possible that someone robbing a 7-Eleven is doing so in order to feed some starving children, or because the owner is a drug dealer, or some other explanation other than the obvious one of the person doing the robbing simply being a thief.

But the default presumption is generally the obvious one - they are just a thief.

Snowdens actions have not suggested that he is much of anything other than a simple spy. I can be convinced otherwise, but I would need to see some actual evidence, and from what he has *actually done* (as opposed to what he and his supporters say), he looks like, at best, a useful idiot being played by Putin, and at worse simply a paid agent of the Russian intelligence services.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

LaCroix

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on January 10, 2017, 11:25:55 AM
If you read the espionage statute, there isn't much argument about Snowden's guilt.  And he's already been charged.  He's not hanging around Moscow just for the borscht.

oh, is that what the references here to spy and espionage mean? I misunderstood, thinking the theory was he was some semi-agent hired by the russian government before bolted