2 (6.9%)

Total Members Voted: 29

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Jacob

Berkut

We were talking about this at lunch today, in regards to Trump.

On the one hand, we are all American's, and want to see things go well of course.

On the other hand, if by some amazing turn of events, thing DO go well, then what will the Trump thing have taught us? That racism is great. Stupid is to be applauded. Narcissism, cronyism, being a puppet of Putin on all these things are NOT actually anything to be concerned about, since we had all that, elected the orange faced buffoon, and things turned out ok!

It turns out that competency, intelligence, education, reason, and a respect for western non-authoritarian values are NOT desirable traits apparently!

So does that mean we should elect MORE Trumps?

I don't want the next four years to be a disaster for my country, but I firmly believe that electing people like Trump IS  a disaster...so if it turns out that it is NOT, then I have to revise my estimation about what is actually deal breakers when it comes to elected officials.

It is really rather weird. I think Trump is and will be a disaster. I think the Tea Party radicals are a disaster. I think it will be proven to be so, and possibly in an even more disastrous manner than we think - like historians in a thousand years talking about the end of the American era type disaster.

The problem is that the only way I can see to be wrong about that is to be wrong about the basic value I attribute to some core principles.

So I think 2017 will be pretty terrible, and 2018 likely worse. My only hope is that he is so bad that he cannot last, and even the spiceys of the world are forced to acknowledge it...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2017, 03:43:52 PM

On the one hand, we are all American's, and want to see things go well of course.

On the other hand, if by some amazing turn of events, thing DO go well, then what will the Trump thing have taught us? That racism is great. Stupid is to be applauded. Narcissism, cronyism, being a puppet of Putin on all these things are NOT actually anything to be concerned about, since we had all that, elected the orange faced buffoon, and things turned out ok!

It turns out that competency, intelligence, education, reason, and a respect for western non-authoritarian values are NOT desirable traits apparently!

I don't want the next four years to be a disaster for my country, but I firmly believe that electing people like Trump IS  a disaster...so if it turns out that it is NOT, then I have to revise my estimation about what is actually deal breakers when it comes to elected officials.

It is really rather weird. I think Trump is and will be a disaster. I think the Tea Party radicals are a disaster. I think it will be proven to be so, and possibly in an even more disastrous manner than we think - like historians in a thousand years talking about the end of the American era type disaster.

The problem is that the only way I can see to be wrong about that is to be wrong about the basic value I attribute to some core principles.

So I think 2017 will be pretty terrible, and 2018 likely worse. My only hope is that he is so bad that he cannot last, and even the spiceys of the world are forced to acknowledge it...

Depends on what you mean by 'disaster'. After all, more racist, sexist, xenophobic incidents is a pretty terrible outcome and not exactly a ringing endorsement for Trump even if the US as a whole doesn't seem many terrible effects in the next 4 years.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Terrible, ramping up to The End.  Things like Armageddon can take time to develop.

Phillip V

I doubt that 2017 will be worse than 2018.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Berkut on January 06, 2017, 03:43:52 PM

I am more optimistic.  Much like the way all signs of the rule of Commodus were removed after his time as emperor, this too shall pass.  Although, like the rule of Commodus, the next four years are going to be hell.

Edit, actually, that is a bad example, the decline of Rome is often traced back to his time as emperor  :hmm:

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 06, 2017, 07:33:25 PM
Edit, actually, that is a bad example, the decline of Rome is often traced back to his time as emperor  :hmm:

Yeah I was about to say :lol:

I just hope the Secret Service doesn't then murder his successor and sell the Presidency to the highest bidder.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

I have no idea. But sure hope this is the final year of the war in Syria.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

The communist party of China will hold its congress in 2017, when they are supposed to pick a successor to Xi  :ph34r:

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2017, 08:04:53 PM
when they are supposed to pick a successor to Xi  :ph34r:

"Supposed," LOL

Monoriu

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 06, 2017, 08:09:01 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2017, 08:04:53 PM
when they are supposed to pick a successor to Xi  :ph34r:

"Supposed," LOL

Yeah.  The successor is supposed to understudy Xi for 5 years and succeed him in 2022. 

But that may not happen and Xi may stay on. 

Ed Anger

A fucking load of crap topped with diharrea.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on January 06, 2017, 08:12:06 PM
Yeah.  The successor is supposed to understudy Xi for 5 years and succeed him in 2022. 

But that may not happen and Xi may stay on.

Is there anything in particular that indicates that Xi will break with established the CCP succession process?