News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2017, 05:29:54 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 12, 2017, 03:56:45 PM
This will go down in history as one of the longest, most complex murder conspiracies of all time.  They'll never be able to pin this on derspiess, no matter how much evidence I leave behind for them.

:lol:  You know I mean you no harm, Seedz.

Yeah...it's not personal, just business, right? Save it.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Monoriu

Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2017, 05:43:19 PM
Regardless of how feasible Obamacare is, it's frightening how a country's government can go ahead and, in effect, deny healthcare for the poorest of its own people, with the thunderous applause of many of their supporters, including plenty of the aforementioned poorest.

It is just not normal.

:yes:

I mean, improving it is one thing and should be encouraged.  One can always do better.  But just repealing it without having anything ready to replace it seems risky.  It isn't anybody's choice to get cancer. 

CountDeMoney

Well, fuck y'all.  Should've killed me in '95 when you had the fucking chance, little punk ass bitches.

Oexmelin

One of Obama's last acts should have been to rename the ACA officially as "TrumpCare". Trump's vanity would have made it impossible for him to support its repeal.
Que le grand cric me croque !

KRonn

Quote from: Monoriu on January 12, 2017, 11:11:14 PM
Quote from: Tamas on January 12, 2017, 05:43:19 PM
Regardless of how feasible Obamacare is, it's frightening how a country's government can go ahead and, in effect, deny healthcare for the poorest of its own people, with the thunderous applause of many of their supporters, including plenty of the aforementioned poorest.

It is just not normal.

:yes:

I mean, improving it is one thing and should be encouraged.  One can always do better.  But just repealing it without having anything ready to replace it seems risky.  It isn't anybody's choice to get cancer.

Healthcare won't be denied to the poorest. The poorest people qualify for Medicaid which is run by states with some Federal govt. reimbursement. It was pretty much that way prior to the ACA. As it is now health insurance premiums have gone way up for many people who don't qualify for subsidies, along with huge deductibles. That's made it unaffordable for so many people.

Those who are low income but don't qualify for Medicaid have been able to get subsidized insurance under the ACA, which is good for them. I think those persons will be continued in any new plan. Trump and republicans have said they don't plan on just cutting off people from insurance. It is going to be a tough slog to get things sorted out so we'll see what happens.

Both parties should be working on this. Important parts of it don't work very well now in it's current form and people want change, so if it's not fixed both parties are going to suffer for it. If democrats prevent it being fixed they'll suffer, and if republicans mess up a new health care plan then they'll suffer. Both parties would be smart to work on it together but right now they're often fighting each other.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: KRonn on January 13, 2017, 08:58:34 PM
Healthcare won't be denied to the poorest. The poorest people qualify for Medicaid which is run by states with some Federal govt. reimbursement. It was pretty much that way prior to the ACA. As it is now health insurance premiums have gone way up for many people who don't qualify for subsidies, along with huge deductibles. That's made it unaffordable for so many people.

Those who are low income but don't qualify for Medicaid have been able to get subsidized insurance under the ACA, which is good for them. I think those persons will be continued in any new plan. Trump and republicans have said they don't plan on just cutting off people from insurance. It is going to be a tough slog to get things sorted out so we'll see what happens.

Both parties should be working on this. Important parts of it don't work very well now in it's current form and people want change, so if it's not fixed both parties are going to suffer for it. If democrats prevent it being fixed they'll suffer, and if republicans mess up a new health care plan then they'll suffer. Both parties would be smart to work on it together but right now they're often fighting each other.

In theory, it won't, but the thing to remember is they're going for the funding first- meaning the cost to the 32 states that accepted the Medicaid expansion will become unfunded and effectively neuter the expansion, so yes, depending on where you draw the line of "the poorest," some of the poorest will be forced off the Medicaid program and lose coverage.
Experience bij!

grumbler

That's right.  The democrats need to remember what happened to the Republicans in 2016 after they spent six years making sure nothing got fixed.  Trump would probably have won the election if the people's wrath hadn't fallen on the Republicans for being utterly obstructionist.

The Democrats need to pretend to be helpful, but they also need to make sure the unicorn is of unmistakably elephant parentage, because Unicorncare is going to be a disaster.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Even if it is not very effective, I'm going to be really stoked to get health care delivered by a unicorn of elephant parentage. That sounds awesome.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

dps

As it is now health insurance premiums have gone way up for many people who don't qualify for subsidies, along with huge deductibles. That's made it unaffordable for so many

Yes, unaffordable, but you're required to pay for it anyway.  Yay!?

At any rate, I'm glad to see that at least 1 person here agrees with the point that I'd been trying to make.  Perhaps you make it more effectively than I did.

grumbler

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2017, 12:37:35 PM
Even if it is not very effective, I'm going to be really stoked to get health care delivered by a unicorn of elephant parentage. That sounds awesome.

Glad you lie it, because that's the only health care package the Republicans will be able to pretend to pass - but passage will always be put off until tomorrow.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2017, 01:44:54 PM
My biweekly premium went up from $99.42 to $105.39.  Thanks Obama!  :mad:
Isolated stats... you should know better :)

What was the rise of health care insurance costs for the last 25 years?  Has it accelerated under Obama or has it slowed a little?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Quote from: viper37 on January 14, 2017, 02:18:46 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 12, 2017, 01:44:54 PM
My biweekly premium went up from $99.42 to $105.39.  Thanks Obama!  :mad:
Isolated stats... you should know better :)

What was the rise of health care insurance costs for the last 25 years?  Has it accelerated under Obama or has it slowed a little?

This web page http://www.healthsystemtracker.org/interactive/health-spending-explorer/?display=Annual%2520%2525%2520Change%2520-%2520Inflation%2520Adjusted&service=All%2520Types%2520of%2520Services should answer a lot of your questions.

Bottom line of that data is that health care grew fastest under Bushcare (actually, Shrubcare) and slowed a bit in the first years of ACA, but that costs were rising pretty rapidly in 2015, and 2016 data isn't yet available (and might exceed Shrubcare).

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: alfred russel on January 14, 2017, 12:37:35 PM

I would be satisfied that anyone who voted to ensure I don't have healthcare dies in an automobile accident, or perhaps a house fire. Failing that, their families.  That would even things up for all concerned.

viper37

the stats I have seen (New York Times) talks of close to 30 million people without insurance prior to Obamacare who now have an healthcare insurance.  I can't believe these are all rich&healthy people who willingly chose to not be insured in the past.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.