News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

The Minsky Moment

Watching Trump and the GOP senators wrestle with these healthcare bills is like watching a group of monkeys trying to build a nuclear reactor out of used car parts and weapons-grade plutonium.  Comical, pathetic and existentially horrifying all at the same time.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 26, 2017, 09:11:18 AM
Watching Trump and the GOP senators wrestle with these healthcare bills is like watching a group of monkeys trying to build a nuclear reactor out of used car parts and weapons-grade plutonium.  Comical, pathetic and existentially horrifying all at the same time.

:lol:

:(
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Grey Fox

Because you know eventually they will succeed into creating a catastrophe.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

:bleeding:

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/07/27/obamacare-repeal-republicans-status-241025

QuoteSenate Republicans hope their own Obamacare repeal won't become law

Mitch McConnell is making one last frantic plea to his Senate Republican members to advance the party's scaled-back Obamacare repeal, assuring them at a private lunch that the vote is merely aimed at getting to conference with the House rather than immediately becoming law.

The Senate majority leader picked up some key votes at lunch, with Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio) endorsing the shriveling repeal effort as a bridge to bicameral negotiations. Not everyone was sold, but GOP leaders were emphasizing that the bill, which would slash Obamacare's coverage mandates and result in millions more uninsured, is not the ultimate goal.

I believe the leader has been in communication with Speaker [Paul] Ryan on that topic," said Senate Majority Whip John Cornyn (R-Texas). "The request to go to conference has to come from the House so that would probably be the best people to talk to. But I have every expectation we will."

Rank-and-file members struggled to explain if there is a guarantee that the bill they are set to vote on within hours would not actually become law. There is some concern the House would adopt a "martial law" procedure that would allow them to quickly take up and pass the health care bill.

The House is set to begin its August recess Friday, but House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy sent a note to lawmakers Thursday instructing them to keep their schedules flexible for the next few days in case the Senate passes Obamacare repeal legislation and the House decides to act on it.

Sen. Steve Daines (R-Mont.) likened it to a "motion to proceed" to conference rather than concrete policy, though Sen. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.) said "theoretically there's no way" to get a concrete assurance that the House won't just pass the bill and send it to the president.

"We want assurances of that. And I think they will get them. I know Mitch is planning to give that and I think people will support whatever it is that can keep our efforts alive," said Sen. Bob Corker (R-Tenn.).

McConnell was short of the votes as of Thursday afternoon even as some senators cautiously predicted victory.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 26, 2017, 10:45:09 AM

Because you know eventually they will succeed into creating a catastrophe.

:lol:  That's the thing;  one way or another, people are going to die.  It's just a matter of how many, and how.  Diabeetus?  Nuclear fallout?  Stay tuned!

garbon

Can Trump ever get a win?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Go Republican Senators, Go! Get there after waiting for 7 years. Give America great healthcare!

[...]

3 Republicans and 48 Democrats let the American people down. As I said from the beginning, let ObamaCare implode, then deal. Watch!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

He must be fuming that two women and McCain knocked him down.

Admiral Yi

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
@realDonaldTrump

So great that John McCain is coming back to vote. Brave - American hero! Thank you John.
3:44 AM - 25 Jul 2017

QuoteDonald J. Trump‏
@realDonaldTrump

.@SenJohnMcCain-Thank you for coming to D.C. for such a vital vote. Congrats to all Rep. We can now deliver grt healthcare to all Americans!
12:24 PM - 25 Jul 2017

:lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Hasn't McCain's presence ultimately been irrelevant for the outcome of this? He stays at home, the bill is still defeated 50-49. He's Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Eddie Teach

Except everyone expected he'd vote for the bill.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Fuck all you cocksuckers. I told you before, you want me dead, you need to come at me harder than a fucking vote.  Punk ass bitches.  Cuckold creampie-eating faggots.

garbon

Quote from: celedhring on July 28, 2017, 06:00:54 AM
Hasn't McCain's presence ultimately been irrelevant for the outcome of this? He stays at home, the bill is still defeated 50-49. He's Indy in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I guess he's getting credit cause cancer and unlike the two female senators who had already made their opposition clear, he had not.

Valmy

It is a rare moment in 21st century politics that a member of Congress casts a vote that surprises anybody.

What has happened the last couple days has been amazing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."