News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Whither Obamacare?

Started by Jacob, January 05, 2017, 01:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

What will the GOP do to Obamacare?

There will be much sturm und drang, but ultimately no concrete action will be taken. It'll still be Obamacare.
5 (13.2%)
They'll attempt to rebrand it and own it, changing a few details, but otherwise leaving it in place.
6 (15.8%)
They'll replace it with something terrific that provides better coverage and cheaper too for the populace.
2 (5.3%)
They'll repeal it without a replacement, leaving large number of Americans without coverage for a significant period of time, perhaps forever.
17 (44.7%)
They'll repeal it with a replacement that screws over some people, but still covers some people significantly and call that an improvement.
7 (18.4%)
Some other outcome.
1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Eddie Teach

That cartoon makes it seem like repealing Obamacare is a plot hatched by McConnell rather than a mass obsession on the right.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Yeah he has said that idiotic 'wait for Obamacare to fail and then the Democrats will surrender' stuff before. Because when shit fails the party out of power always gets blamed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

but Obamacare failure doesn't lead where he thinks and wants it to lead to. Federal Single Payer shouldn't be something the right wingers like.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2017, 07:06:23 AM
but Obamacare failure doesn't lead where he thinks and wants it to lead to. Federal Single Payer shouldn't be something the right wingers like.

That's not where they want it to lead to, GF.  :huh: What makes you think they are even thinking about a solution.  Failure is exactly where they want it to lead to.  Then it will be gone, and there will be much rejoicing.

garbon

I'm just surprised they think it will 'fail' relative to the 'failures' of our prior system.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

celedhring

I have no idea how the law is executed in practice, but my guess is that a hostile federal government can do much to undermine the ACA if it wishes to.

The strategy is probably to go to 2018 being able to say how BAD and TERRIBLE the EVIL Obamacare is, without having to answer for whatever GOP would have put in place.

Valmy

Quote from: celedhring on July 19, 2017, 09:09:15 AM
I have no idea how the law is executed in practice, but my guess is that a hostile federal government can do much to undermine the ACA if it wishes to.

The strategy is probably to go to 2018 being able to say how BAD and TERRIBLE the EVIL Obamacare is, without having to answer for whatever GOP would have put in place.

I am just going to go out on a limb and suggest that Republican voters are not going to tolerate them fucking this up. The Primaries will be a slaughter.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2017, 09:19:56 AM

I am just going to go out on a limb and suggest that Republican voters are not going to tolerate them fucking this up. The Primaries will be a slaughter.

I don't know that it'll be a slaughter given how Republican voters are...

but yeah would say that I don't think this is a very good strategy.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Grey Fox

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 19, 2017, 07:36:32 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on July 19, 2017, 07:06:23 AM

That's not where they want it to lead to, GF.  :huh: What makes you think they are even thinking about a solution.  Failure is exactly where they want it to lead to.  Then it will be gone, and there will be much rejoicing.

Of course thats not what they want. But what do you think the Dems will ask for? What do they think the Dems will ask for?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Minsky Moment

Already has.  The confusion over the law's future and the Trump admin's elimination of promotion efforts have cut down on enrollments and caused insurers to pull out or consider pulling it.  If Trump really wants to follow through he could create enough regulatory FUD to create serious problems.  Right now a bunch of counties have only one insurance provider left - that's a recipe for outsized premiums and disaster if the last provider pulls out.  No surprise many the people most affected are in core Trump voter areas - the deep South, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Alaska, Arizona, much of Missouri, parts of WV, Ohio and Kentucky, the UP of Michigan.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 19, 2017, 09:19:56 AM

The fuck you talking about; sure they will.  They will be happy to die and go without healthcare, as long as the niggers and the poors and the whores and everybody else that Kenyan Commie Nazi Mooselamb gave our America to that didn't earn it go without, too.

CountDeMoney

QuoteSenate Braces For a Health Care Showdown on a Still-Unclear Plan
By THOMAS KAPLAN and JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS
JULY 24, 2017
The Failing New York Times

WASHINGTON — Senate Republican leaders, trying to keep alive their flagging effort to dismantle the Affordable Care Act, are barreling toward a showdown vote on Tuesday to begin debating a repeal of the health law. But senators have yet to be told precisely what legislation they will be debating.

Apparently short of votes even to begin that process, President Trump ratcheted up pressure on Monday for Republican senators to get onboard, criticizing their inaction and warning that they risked betraying seven years' worth of promises to raze and revamp the health law if they did not.

"Remember 'repeal and replace,' 'repeal and replace' — they kept saying it over and over again," Mr. Trump said at the White House, flanked by people who he said suffered from increased health care premiums as "victims" of the "horrible disaster known as Obamacare."

"Every Republican running for office promised immediate relief from this disastrous law," the president added. "But so far, Senate Republicans have not done their job in ending the Obamacare nightmare."

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/us/politics/senate-health-bill-obamacare-repeal-and-replace-trump-mcconnell.html

https://youtu.be/Tvvf_6Yg6fQ

jimmy olsen

So today's the day. It'll either happen or it won't.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

garbon

I'm confused. The Republicans voted to now have an open debate about this quagmire?