Ted Cruz proposes method of getting rid of Ted Cruz

Started by Valmy, January 04, 2017, 01:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 05, 2017, 12:09:58 AM
One of the reasons I'm not so optimistic about politicians is the mere nature of the thing. Just going into that field as a life goal tells everyone things about a person that aren't exactly good. Everyone has the impulse to try to control others. For the purpose of civilization, we resist most of that.

But politics is something beyond the inability to control it. These are the people who weren't satisfied running the local nazi homeowner's association or bullying the school board. They needed to go big.

Maybe we get the occasional Jimmy Stewart in office, but mostly not.

I disagree;  people enter and succeed in politics because, regardless of their bent, they sincerely believe they are attempting to do good.  Yeah, they need egos, and they have them, but the true sociopaths and Bond villains are much more successful in other industries.

Razgovory

One of the reasons I'm not so optimistic about politicians is the mere nature of the thing. Just going into that field as a life goal tells everyone things about a person that aren't exactly good. Everyone has the impulse to try to control others. For the purpose of civilization, we resist most of that.

But politics is something beyond the inability to control it. These are the people who weren't satisfied running the local nazi homeowner's association or bullying the school board. They needed to go big.

We have plenty of Jimmy Stewarts, and it doesn't improve things.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

crazy canuck

This is perhaps the best indication of how much things have changed within US political discourse.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2017, 12:36:17 AM
This is perhaps the best indication of how much things have changed within US political discourse.

Yeah. If that's the general view held by many or even most reasonable people then it's hard to see a path to actually improving things; at least as long as that persists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2017, 01:00:26 AM
Are those supposed to be capitalized?

Senators and representatives are both congressmen.  It's a bicameral thingy.
Granted, representatives represent congressional districts, but they're still technically representatives.

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2017, 01:05:10 AM

Granted, representatives represent congressional districts, but they're still technically representatives.

I was vaguely aware of this distinction but since grumbler had "Senators and Congressmen" in the post I replied to, I assumed it was the correct usage.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2017, 01:35:31 AM
I was vaguely aware of this distinction but since grumbler had "Senators and Congressmen" in the post I replied to, I assumed it was the correct usage.

I know.  I am disappointed in him, too.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 04, 2017, 07:53:09 PM
Term limits increase the total number of Congressmen walking the earth over time.  The more ex-Congressmen there are, the more lobbyists there will be.

I don't think so; there will always be as many lobbyists as corporations/pacs/etc are willing to pay for. More ex-Congress members just means those jobs will be harder to get.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2017, 01:35:31 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on January 05, 2017, 01:05:10 AM

Senators and congressmen is the correct terminology. Senators and representatives is equally correct, though much more rare.  They shouldn't be capitalized except when part of a proper name (I erroneously capitalize those words all the time). 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 05, 2017, 01:41:41 AM
Term limits increase the total number of Congressmen walking the earth over time.  The more ex-Congressmen there are, the more lobbyists there will be.

I don't think so; there will always be as many lobbyists as corporations/pacs/etc are willing to pay for. More ex-Congress members just means those jobs will be harder to get.

And those jobs will pay a lot less, since there will be more ex-congressmen to fill them.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

There are plenty of people doing them now who have never been in Congress. I would imagine the pay rates are tied in with other corporate jobs and won't be drastically affected by the number of ex-congressmen seeking them.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Jacob on January 05, 2017, 01:02:09 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on January 05, 2017, 12:36:17 AM

Yeah. If that's the general view held by many or even most reasonable people then it's hard to see a path to actually improving things; at least as long as that persists.
Agreed.  :( 

I guess this attitude has a lot to do with anti-government propaganda the right wing has embarked on ever since Reagan.  While corruption obviously is there, the effects of it on effective governance is what has been blown all out of proportion.  What really destroys effective governance is when the people who buy into this schpiel hook and sinker and elect suicide bombers into the government.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on January 05, 2017, 07:21:01 AM
Quote from: Eddie Teach on January 05, 2017, 01:41:41 AM

And those jobs will pay a lot less, since there will be more ex-congressmen to fill them.

:lol: Oh, you were serious.  Let me laugh a little harder.   :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:   I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  Cynics are some of the most naive people in the world.  In Missouri, we have term limits, and the average pay of a lobbyist is well over 2 times that of a Senator.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017