Main Menu

The Long March from China to the Ivies

Started by The Larch, December 29, 2016, 08:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 04:18:36 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2016, 04:14:36 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 04:05:32 PM
Even now I am somewhat disturbed by you guys' description that university is all about dating.  I mean, some of my university Chinese friends certainly dated, but they were all in stable relationships and they still did well in their studies.

Why does it disturb you?

Does it make you feel like you missed out?

Because it is surreal and inconsistent with my experience.  University is a place to prepare oneself for a future career.  It is serious and important. 

Females aren't interested in me, so I missed nothing. 

It's not all about dating.  Some of it's about boozing.

Seriously, though, an undergrad degree in most fields doesn't really prepare anyone for a career.  And mostly, prospective employers don't care where you got your undergrad degree from or what kind of grades you got there.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on December 29, 2016, 03:28:48 PM
In fact, now that I think about it, my sophomore year roommate Vincent was from Hong Kong.  He was a weird guy who pretended to have a doctor of divinity and solicited donations from old ladies with cancer, but other than that he was 'normal' and had a girlfriend.

That goes so far beyond being a weird guy into being irredeemable scum of the worst sort.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on December 29, 2016, 05:20:47 PM

Seriously, though, an undergrad degree in most fields doesn't really prepare anyone for a career.  And mostly, prospective employers don't care where you got your undergrad degree from or what kind of grades you got there.

That's why it is important to find work in places where these things are still valued :contract:

Monoriu

Yeah actually the "boozing" part also scares me somewhat.  Not really sure what you mean but I would expect undergraduate students to stay away from alcohol.  I didn't know anybody who drank. 

derspiess

Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2016, 03:46:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
My experience from college was the women certainly did. The men: not as much.

Are you sure they were Reds?

We are limiting this to the chinese? Then I don't know if any of the women were, though a dude was from hong kong. I'm basically talking about korean and japanese.

They're all Chinamen, ain't they? :lol:
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 05:30:43 PM

That's why it is important to find work in places where these things are still valued :contract:

It's better to find work in places worth living in.  Not that I have much room to talk there;  I live in North Carolina.

alfred russel

Quote from: derspiess on December 29, 2016, 05:47:44 PM
They're all Chinamen, ain't they? :lol:

I know I was very excited to go off to college far from home, and it had nothing to do with educational opportunities or future job prospects.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on December 29, 2016, 05:48:10 PM

It's better to find work in places worth living in.  Not that I have much room to talk there;  I live in North Carolina.

If you have money, a lot of places that don't seem to be worth living in suddenly become ok.  If you don't have money, even the best places will suck. 

LaCroix

people tend to rationalize where they live is worth living in. not that I would know

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 05:51:15 PM
Quote from: dps on December 29, 2016, 05:48:10 PM

If you have money, a lot of places that don't seem to be worth living in suddenly become ok.  If you don't have money, even the best places will suck. 

You ain't getting rich working as a drone, so how would you know?

I've never been rich, but I've been doing OK and I've been poor, and while doing OK is definitely better than being poor, doing OK financially while being miserable is the worst of both worlds--all the hard work, and none of the enjoyment.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on December 29, 2016, 06:01:11 PM

I've never been rich, but I've been doing OK and I've been poor, and while doing OK is definitely better than being poor, doing OK financially while being miserable is the worst of both worlds--all the hard work, and none of the enjoyment.

I'll never be rich.  But having a job beats not having one.  Doing ok financially while being miserable at work beats being poor. 

dps

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 06:10:20 PM

I'll never be rich.  But having a job beats not having one.

Sure, but you don't have to have a job that makes you miserable.  Well, maybe you do, but that's because of the path you've chosen.

QuoteDoing ok financially while being miserable at work beats being poor. 

Nope.  Not unless by "poor" you mean homeless and completely destitute.

Monoriu

Quote from: dps on December 29, 2016, 06:16:53 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 06:10:20 PM

I'll never be rich.  But having a job beats not having one.

Sure, but you don't have to have a job that makes you miserable.  Well, maybe you do, but that's because of the path you've chosen.

QuoteDoing ok financially while being miserable at work beats being poor. 

Nope.  Not unless by "poor" you mean homeless and completely destitute.

Most jobs are miserable.  The ones that aren't usually don't pay living wages. 

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 29, 2016, 03:53:54 PM
Yeah, the ones fresh off the boat from the mainland were always the creepy types, all study time and bringing honor to ancestors and shit.  No nutrition, no fun.

And spending their spare time spying on the nearest military base or research facility.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Monoriu

I remember that somebody did an experiment.  Mail the exact same resume to US employers, but with names from different ethnicities.  The ones with Chinese names got the worst response  :lol: