News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Long March from China to the Ivies

Started by The Larch, December 29, 2016, 08:03:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Even now I am somewhat disturbed by you guys' description that university is all about dating.  I mean, some of my university Chinese friends certainly dated, but they were all in stable relationships and they still did well in their studies. 

garbon

Quote from: Monoriu on December 29, 2016, 04:05:32 PM
Even now I am somewhat disturbed by you guys' description that university is all about dating.  I mean, some of my university Chinese friends certainly dated, but they were all in stable relationships and they still did well in their studies. 

You don't say.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

We didn't have any mainland Chinese students that I was aware of at either Marshall or Delaware.  I did work with some interns we had at First USA Bank, though.  Very intelligent, professional, polished, yet almost robotic.  Both in the workplace and the few mandatory social gatherings we had for the marketing department.  There was a really cute girl named Xing Xing (?) who made it seem like she was flirting with me, until I heard her just repeat the same shpiel to everyone else.  YOU'RE NOT STEALING MY SECRETS XING XING
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Why does it disturb you?

Does it make you feel like you missed out?

Grey Fox

Gotta create a network.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Monoriu

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2016, 04:14:36 PM

Why does it disturb you?

Does it make you feel like you missed out?

Because it is surreal and inconsistent with my experience.  University is a place to prepare oneself for a future career.  It is serious and important. 

Females aren't interested in me, so I missed nothing. 

alfred russel

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2016, 03:46:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
My experience from college was the women certainly did. The men: not as much.

Are you sure they were Reds?

We are limiting this to the chinese? Then I don't know if any of the women were, though a dude was from hong kong. I'm basically talking about korean and japanese.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

LaCroix

in the US, university/college (undergrad, at least) is largely considered an "experience" more than "a place to prepare oneself for a future career." I suspect the way we do things encourages a larger portion of the population to attend, if only for a year or two. IMO, this is a good thing, although it would be better if we did something about our high student debt.

The Brain

Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 04:27:37 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 29, 2016, 03:46:24 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on December 29, 2016, 03:24:03 PM
My experience from college was the women certainly did. The men: not as much.

Are you sure they were Reds?

We are limiting this to the chinese? Then I don't know if any of the women were, though a dude was from hong kong. I'm basically talking about korean and japanese.

wut
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

grumbler

From what my Chinese exchange students told me, Chinese universities are a bit of a joke; the key is to get into a good one (which is very hard) and graduate (which is easy).  Any education you receive in the process is just a bonus.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Monoriu

Quote from: grumbler on December 29, 2016, 04:49:34 PM
From what my Chinese exchange students told me, Chinese universities are a bit of a joke; the key is to get into a good one (which is very hard) and graduate (which is easy).  Any education you receive in the process is just a bonus.

Yeah.  Our data is that the completion rate in HK universities is around 98-99%.  Basically, anybody who doesn't screw up mightily will graduate. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 29, 2016, 04:10:21 PM
We didn't have any mainland Chinese students that I was aware of at either Marshall or Delaware.

Talk about bringing shame to one's family and ancestors.  Probably even more so for Chinese students.

QuoteXing Xing (?) who made it seem like she was flirting with me, until I heard her just repeat the same shpiel to everyone else.  YOU'RE NOT STEALING MY SECRETS XING XING

lol, a panda exchange program masquerading as a spy ring.

LaCroix

anyway, back on topic re: whether homegrown chinese students are cool

from my brief experience, yes. talk about great china, list off some HOI or vicky province names, and they buy you drinks all night long

Admiral Yi

Quote from: LaCroix on December 29, 2016, 05:03:32 PM
anyway, back on topic re: whether homegrown chinese students are cool

from my brief experience, yes. talk about great china, list off some HOI or vicky province names, and they buy you drinks all night long

Such as Sinchiang and Tibet?  :ph34r: