News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Weird Mouse problem

Started by Valmy, December 27, 2016, 07:18:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

So since I got my new computer last year and it upgraded to Windows 10 and ever since then all of the left buttons on my mouses are not responding correctly. Like it sometimes works but sporadically and does weird things like make it almost impossible to click and drag. This was something I just kind of delt with but I have been playing some more CK2 recently and it is just driving me nuts.

I noticed my Mouse Driver is from 2006 so probably not Windows 10 friendly so that might be a thing but I have no idea how I might get a generic USB Mouse driver.

Any thoughts anybody?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Valmy on December 27, 2016, 07:18:39 PM
So since I got my new computer last year and it upgraded to Windows 10 and ever since then all of the left buttons on my mouses are not responding correctly. Like it sometimes works but sporadically and does weird things like make it almost impossible to click and drag. This was something I just kind of delt with but I have been playing some more CK2 recently and it is just driving me nuts.

I noticed my Mouse Driver is from 2006 so probably not Windows 10 friendly so that might be a thing but I have no idea how I might get a generic USB Mouse driver.

Any thoughts anybody?

Long gray lead?

Your hand's not on what you think it is.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 27, 2016, 07:18:39 PM

Any thoughts anybody?
There is no generic USB mouse driver, they are included in Windows if not supplied by the manufacturer. 

Microsoft has one for their product: https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-gb/d/basic-optical-mouse

If it doesn't work, I would suggest buying a new one.  Cheap ones below 20$, with high end wireless gaming mouse above 100$, the range is vast, depending on your needs.

I have a Logitech G602 that I quite like, but there are better mice than this too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: viper37 on December 28, 2016, 11:51:37 AM
There is no generic USB mouse driver, they are included in Windows if not supplied by the manufacturer. 

Microsoft has one for their product: https://www.microsoft.com/accessories/en-gb/d/basic-optical-mouse

If it doesn't work, I would suggest buying a new one.  Cheap ones below 20$, with high end wireless gaming mouse above 100$, the range is vast, depending on your needs.

I have a Logitech G602 that I quite like, but there are better mice than this too.

Not entirely correct.  USB keyboards and mouse pointing devices rely on a generic HID (human interface device) driver, unless a specific driver matching the device's vendor/product IDs is present.  In your case, Valmy, knowing that your mouse driver predates the release of Windows 7, what I would suggest doing is going into your device manager, right-clicking the mouse in the list, and uninstalling it.

Once you've done that, since the mouse won't be working, hit the alt button so the menus at the top of the window have underlined letters and hit "a" for Actions, then go down to "Scan for hardware changes."  It'll either find you a more recent driver, or it'll load the generic HID driver if it can't find one.  I can't imagine a 2006 driver that may have bells and whistles tailored to Windows XP will still be in the WHQL database.
Experience bij!

CountDeMoney

Yeah, to touch on what Banana said, Windows will automatically reinstall such basic drivers after you uninstall them.  I had to do that with a USB port driver. 

Unintall the mouse driver in Device Manager, reboot and Windows 10 will automatically reinstall the driver as it boots. 

Or get a real mouse :p

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2016, 02:01:23 PM

That's not very green of you, Mr. Throwaway Material Culture.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Ain't got time for holistic free trade sustainability peripherals lwhen I have spawn camping to do.

DontSayBanana

Yeah, to touch on what Banana said, Windows will automatically reinstall such basic drivers after you uninstall them.  I had to do that with a USB port driver. 

Unintall the mouse driver in Device Manager, reboot and Windows 10 will automatically reinstall the driver as it boots. 

That's why I said hit scan for hardware changes.  No need for a reboot to get Windows to bring the driver back on. ;)

And don't worry about Seedy or Viper- for the record, I game with a $10 HP optical mouse from probably right around when Windows 7 came out.  At 1000 dpi with no speedup or slowdown on the mouse cursor, it's more than enough to handle mouselook in my games.
Experience bij!

dps

Not to ruin the joke, but it could be a hardware problem with the mouse that just happened to show up at the same time you upgrade to Windows 10 rather than a driver problem.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DontSayBanana on December 31, 2016, 08:21:54 AM
That's why I said hit scan for hardware changes.  No need for a reboot to get Windows to bring the driver back on. ;) 

Fuck that scan for hardware changes shit.  Like you can trust Windows do to that shit without a reboot. 

A ALWAYS
B BE
R REBOOTING

ALWAYS BE REBOOTING

QuoteAnd don't worry about Seedy or Viper- for the record, I game with a $10 HP optical mouse from probably right around when Windows 7 came out.  At 1000 dpi with no speedup or slowdown on the mouse cursor, it's more than enough to handle mouselook in my games.

Ha, I use an optical HP mouse at work that came with a CPU I bought about 4 years ago, because the Feds use that bullshit Dell Fisher-Price crap.  Has always worked like a charm.  Same goes with the low-profile keyboard that came with it.  Working with Dell crap is worse than using a C64 keyboard.

But I got a Gigabyte Ghost because its lights can color coordinate with my Gigabyte backlit gaming board and my CPU tower.  Everything is a pleasant blue.  Or green, depending on my mood.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 31, 2016, 06:29:15 PM
Ha, I use an optical HP mouse at work that came with a CPU I bought about 4 years ago, because the Feds use that bullshit Dell Fisher-Price crap.  Has always worked like a charm.  Same goes with the low-profile keyboard that came with it.  Working with Dell crap is worse than using a C64 keyboard.

But I got a Gigabyte Ghost because its lights can color coordinate with my Gigabyte backlit gaming board and my CPU tower.  Everything is a pleasant blue.  Or green, depending on my mood.

Yeah, I gotta say, as somebody who used to do data entry and have to take dictation at speed, mouse doesn't make as big a difference as some people claim it does, but keyboard is a whole different story- mechanical would be nice, but is usually out of my price range for a decent one.  Right now, I tend to switch off between a Logitech G510s and a Steelseries Apex (at the moment, I'm using the Apex for the lower-profile keys).
Experience bij!