UN's security council votes against Israel's settlements, US refuses to veto...

Started by The Larch, December 26, 2016, 01:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Valmy on December 30, 2016, 12:39:17 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2016, 12:29:03 PM
Seedy hates the American worker.

If Trump and Sanders are what it means to love the American worker then fuck the American worker. Their lot will only get worse under this kind of idiocy.

:o

Anyone else here hate the American worker?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2016, 12:53:14 PM

Says the guy that only eats one flavor in Neopolitan ice cream.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 30, 2016, 11:53:54 AM
There's been at least two deals on the table where Israel offered just that--territorial concessions in exchange for annexed West Bank land.

FWIW I don't remember us giving Germany territorial concessions after they started and lost WW2 and portions of Germany were given to Russia and Poland, but I guess starting and losing a war was seen as objectionable in the 40s, and by the 60s winning a war regardless of who started it was seen as wrong.

Damn, you've convinced me. WW2 was so similar to the Middle East conflict, it is clear that anything Israel does is to be applauded, and any disagreement with any policy they might have is clear anti-Semitism.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2016, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2016, 12:53:14 PM

For ice cream or practically any dessert item, it's chocolate or GTFO.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

Good lord, you're strawmanning like a mofo Berk. I guess so many years of being a frothy lefty have left you struggling to keep things coherent.

All I'm saying is:

1. It's kind of hypocritical to pussy-bleed about Israel's "illegal occupation", because a) it was the result of winning a defensive war, and b) Jordan actually occupied the West Bank for like 20 years and faced no international scorn at all. Same for Syria and Lebanon for that matter. Not to mention Russia and Crimea and East Ukraine, Transnistra, South Ossetia etc. Israel is being held to a standard no other country is being held to. Fuck, it won a defensive war and is actually willing to give up land in exchange for some territory it has seized. Most countries that have won wars and take territory take it, period. Israel isn't the heavy here like you're making it out to be.

2. It's supremely stupid for Obama/Kerry to have gotten involved in the way they did, this Security Council resolution doesn't do anything to make Israel more willing to negotiate peace, and in fact reasonable indications are it will do the exact opposite--and they'll be supported in that position by the incoming Trump administration.

If that's saying "Israel can do no wrong" well, "okay", I guess we have different understandings of what certain phrases mean in the English language. I certainly have never said I'm in favor of expansion of the settlements outside of the boundary wall deep in the West Bank, and I don't agree with the statements Netanyahu made in 2009 where he basically said he'd agree to peace but Palestine had to accept Jerusalem as the sole possession of (and capital of) Israel and the "right of expansion" to existing settlements. That's obviously not a serious framework for peace that the Palestinians would ever agree to--and I generally don't defend Bibi's more bellicose rhetoric. But that opposite of that isn't getting on your knees and slurping up Obama and Kerry cum because you'll slavishly agree with any action they take.

frunk

I think sanctions against a government (such as those against Russia) are a much stronger reaction than a rather empty declaration from the UN.  So to claim that Israel is held to a higher standard than Russia seems weird considering we had a much stronger reaction to Russia for its actions.

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 30, 2016, 02:49:21 PM
But that opposite of that isn't getting on your knees and slurping up Obama and Kerry cum because you'll slavishly agree with any action they take.

Your argument is strong.

0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

There has been no UN resolution against Russia (because obviously Russia would veto it) or any UN sanctions (because obviously Russia would veto it.) So Russia has not received the same level of response from the UN. This highlights the hypocrisy of the UN as an institution.

Russia has been the victim of sanctions largely by NATO members, but Israel is subject to sanctions from other groups of countries operating independently of the UN, too.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on December 30, 2016, 02:59:22 PM
But that opposite of that isn't getting on your knees and slurping up Obama and Kerry cum because you'll slavishly agree with any action they take.

Your argument is strong.

You're low energy these days. Sad.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 30, 2016, 03:05:07 PM
This highlights the hypocrisy of the UN as an institution.

It was a necessary hypocrisy to get it started. The League of Nations pretended like there were no Great Powers and that didn't go well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 30, 2016, 02:46:47 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 30, 2016, 01:19:12 PM

For ice cream or practically any dessert item, it's chocolate or GTFO.

Goddamn. Anti-diversity even with dessert.

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 30, 2016, 03:05:29 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 30, 2016, 02:59:22 PM

Your argument is strong.

You're low energy these days. Sad.

You are apparently an alt right douchebag these days. Even more sad.

0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Alright Berky, when you feel like coming out of your play pen we can continue this discussion.

grumbler

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 30, 2016, 12:07:52 PM
When your own State Department lifers criticize your feckless foreign policy there's a good indication you're entering Jimmy Carter territory on foreign policy.

State department lifers have criticized the feckless foreign policy of every single SecState since Thomas Jefferson. 

Once you start to turn every little thing into a big thing, you've entered the Bismarck Zone on comparative foreign policy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!