World War Tweet: The Megaton Thread!

Started by CountDeMoney, December 22, 2016, 02:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: mongers on February 11, 2017, 11:50:48 AM
Two of the latest ones:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump    2h

I am reading that the great border WALL will cost more than the government originally thought, but I have not gotten involved in the.....

@realDonaldTrump    2h

...design or negotiations yet. When I do, just like with the F-35 FighterJet or the Air Force One Program, price will come WAY DOWN!
View details ·   

So the established Alternative Facts are now that Boeing and the F35 contract prices were slashed by Trump?

NB tweet posting order reversed for ease of reading.

There is no Boeing contract to be slashed.  The Donald mistook an Air Force estimate of what they thought it would cost (presumably a lifetime cost, since the aircraft themselves cost about $380M a piece in commercial service) for some kind of contract.  There is no contract as yet, except one for something like $200M for design services and advance work.

The F-35 contract was all that Lockheed could ask for, as Trump's intemperate tweets essentially forced the DoD to agree to Lockheed's package deal for 90 planes at once.  Let's hope we don't end up with a situation like they had with the Block I F/A-18s, where it cost half the price of the airplane to upgrade to Bloc III, and the Bloc I buy was a lot bigger (for "cost saving reasons") than the navy and Marine Corps wanted.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

QuoteHaving a great time hosting Prime Minister Shinzo Abe in the United States! ‬

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Isn't that like the second weekend he goes golfing?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

Abe's high five is not as bad as Barry's bows, but pretty fucking feeb.  You'd think someone on his staff could have coached him up.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 11, 2017, 02:48:21 PM
Abe's high five is not as bad as Barry's bows, but pretty fucking feeb.  You'd think someone on his staff could have coached him up.
To be fair, he might just be reluctant to touch the hand that might have, moments before, grabbed Conway by the pussy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Josquius

Is golf at all popular with normals in the US or is it just for the rich (as is the impression I get).
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on February 11, 2017, 04:35:25 PM
Is golf at all popular with normals in the US or is it just for the rich (as is the impression I get).

Not just for the rich.  I believe I read a long time back that it is the #1 participant [sport] in the US.

When I played on the muni courses back in DC it seemed like it was all cab drivers playing.

Razgovory

It's pretty popular.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

I have a set of clubs. I sacrifice many balls to the sand trap gods.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Golf used to skewer heavily to the muckity muck class years ago, but now, American class divisions manifest themselves in golf itself.  There's a difference between public courses, resort courses and hoity-toity courses at private clubs that require membership, don't allow dirty negroes, etc.

mongers

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump    40m

I know Mark Cuban well. He backed me big-time but I wasn't interested in taking all of his calls.He's not smart enough to run for president!

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2017, 09:53:30 AM
Chinese nuclear strength is rather moderate, and their weapons are limited to hitting the western US at most.

So there is that to think about - for Trump, most of the damage of a nuclear war would be on people who didn't vote for him anyway.

DF-31?  http://www.military-today.com/missiles/df31a.htm
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 12, 2017, 01:28:17 PM
Quote from: Berkut on February 11, 2017, 09:53:30 AM
Chinese nuclear strength is rather moderate, and their weapons are limited to hitting the western US at most.

So there is that to think about - for Trump, most of the damage of a nuclear war would be on people who didn't vote for him anyway.

DF-31?  http://www.military-today.com/missiles/df31a.htm

Yeah...because we've been so preoccupied with blowing up the same morons on monkey bars in the Middle East for the last 15 years, nobody's been reading up on the latest silliness in Chinese RMA.

CountDeMoney

Because all this is so much more of a threat to the United States than Great Power realpolitik.

Syt

QuoteDonald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump

Just leaving Florida. Big crowds of enthusiastic supporters lining the road that the FAKE NEWS media refuses to mention. Very dishonest!

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/02/trump-rips-fake-news-media-for-not-covering-hundreds-of-fl-protesters-as-crowds-of-supporters/

QuoteTrump rips 'FAKE NEWS media' for not covering hundreds of FL protesters as 'crowds of supporters'

Pres. Donald Trump took another pot shot at the media on Sunday as he left his Florida resort, claiming that the hundreds of protesters who greeted his motorcade were "big crowds of enthusiastic supporters" that the press won't cover, TheHill.com reported.

"Just leaving Florida. Big crowds of enthusiastic supporters lining the road that the FAKE NEWS media refuses to mention. Very dishonest!" he said on Twitter.

However, The Hill's Mallory Shelbourne wrote, "Trump didn't offer evidence of crowds seen 'lining the roads.'"

Palm Beach Post reporter George Bennett said there were "a few" Trump supporters along the road from Mar-a-Lago, but that they were vastly outnumbered by the hundreds of protesters.
—Stephen Jay Gould