And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Neil on January 06, 2017, 12:19:00 AM
Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2017, 10:59:56 PM
Show me an action movie where the main protagonist is a woman who isn't saved by a man and there isn't a love interest. I'll wait for your list of "hundreds".
Indeed.  Movies are so much better when people are unrelateable, sexless aliens.  See, for example, the Star Wars prequels.

Sure,  being in a high emotion situation like saving the world could lead to a drastically increased chance of a man and a woman who have just met getting together than under normal circumstances.
But it really isn't the sure thing it is presented as in movies.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/06/star-wars-braintrust-to-plot-life-in-leia-less-universe-after-carrie-fishers-death

QuoteStar Wars insiders to plot life in Leia-less universe after Carrie Fisher's death

The repercussions of the death of Carrie Fisher for the Star Wars franchise are to be discussed by key Disney staff in Los Angeles next week. Fisher, who died on 27 December, had completed scenes on Star Wars: Episode VIII, which is set for release in December – including, apparently, reunions with Mark Hamill's Luke Skywalker and her son, Kylo Ren, played by Adam Driver.

But the character will reportedly play an even larger part in the following film, which is scheduled to shoot early in 2018 before release at Christmas 2019. This supposition would tally with the $50m insurance payout that Disney will collect following Fisher's death.

The Hollywood Reporter paraphrases insiders who says Episode IX's writer/director, Colin Trevorrow, is to meet with executive producer Kathleen Kennedy to see what adjustments to the script are required. This may in turn mean reshoots on director Rian Johnson's Star Wars: Episode VIII, to adjust its conclusion.

Advertisement

The studio is said to be less wary of the risks of extensive post-production adjustments following the healthy reception for Rogue One, of which up to a reported 40% was reshot. Another key element of that film – the CGI resurrection of Peter Cushing's character and, in a final scene, Fisher's – may also play a part in papering over the plot.

But both the ethics and logistics of such a move are said to be capping the extent of CGI that Disney would tolerate: incidental moments are thought to be acceptable, but having a computer-generated version of Fisher simply speak the lines designed for her in Episode IX is thought to be unlikely.

Fisher and her mother, Debbie Reynolds, were buried in a private, joint service in Los Angeles on 6 January. Earlier this week, a petition was launched on Change.org to lobby Disney to make Leia an "official" Disney princess. It so far has more than 53,000 signatures.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

An interesting thing about Jedha and it being a center for religions that worship the Force.

Among them there's the Brotherhood of the Beatific Countenance:

And you have the Disciples of the Whills:

Which means that Imperial Guards would probably not stand out much in a crowd in Jedha. :P

Though that's probably just a coincidence.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

When I saw them in the movie, I thought the crimson-robed dudes looked way too similar to the Imperial Guard for it being a coincidence. Although it made no sense in that context.

Syt

I'm half expecting that there's some ancient Sith connection there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Minsky Moment

Well it says they use a vocoder so I'm guessing Kraftwerk?
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

So if the shield on Scarif allows visible light to pass, how does it stop laser beams?  :unsure:

Having worked on buildings without architectural drawings; I can say with certainty that Tarkin's decision to destroy the entire Imperial architectural archive was a really, really bad idea.

Imperial Officer:  We need to mount a holographic projector in this room.
Contractor:  Sure thing, boss, where are the conduits to run the coax?
Imperial Officer:  No idea...
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

viper37

Quote from: Savonarola on January 11, 2017, 03:57:14 PM
So if the shield on Scarif allows visible light to pass, how does it stop laser beams?  :unsure:
Maybe it stops the excess energy of laser only?  How do shields work on Star Wars?  you can always see the ship, therefore light goes through, yet, it stops laser.
Or maybe, the word "turbolaser" does not really describe a laser, kinda like star trek's phasers?

Having worked on buildings without architectural drawings; I can say with certainty that Tarkin's decision to destroy the entire Imperial architectural archive was a really, really bad idea.

Imperial Officer:  We need to mount a holographic projector in this room.
Contractor:  Sure thing, boss, where are the conduits to run the coax?
Imperial Officer:  No idea...

they likely have another archive on Coruscant.  Or this one was simply the backup, with all original plans being kept locally.  Wasn't the Death Star plan located on the planet where the scientist was and only because it got half destroyed/locked-down did the Rebels go to that other planet?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: viper37 on January 12, 2017, 01:46:34 AM
Or maybe, the word "turbolaser" does not really describe a laser, kinda like star trek's phasers?

It's not a laser, but a burst of burning plasma. The laser ignites the gas and it shoots out.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Berkut

Quote from: Savonarola on January 11, 2017, 03:57:14 PM

In the same manner every device describe as a "shield" in every science fiction movie or book ever stops attacks while letting light through.

This isn't even that hard to imagine - shields are tuned to allow low-energy/low-concentrations of photons through, while blocking higher concentrations.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Syt

I find the docking bay shields more interesting that allow ships to pass through but keep air inside.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Berkut

Quote from: Syt on January 12, 2017, 09:27:59 AM
I find the docking bay shields more interesting that allow ships to pass through but keep air inside.

Again, I don't see that as remotely implausible. Assuming the shield can be tuned in some fashion, it would be easy to have whatever computer controlling it simply evaluate the threat profile of a ship moving at slow speed and powering down the shield, or a part of the shield, to let that object through.

0 rows returned

celedhring

One of the first rules of space opera is that it only works as long as you don't think too hard about it.

Berkut

Quote from: celedhring on January 12, 2017, 09:39:24 AM
One of the first rules of space opera is that it only works as long as you don't think too hard about it.

Meh, I think it is more "It works until you think hard enough to invent a reason why it doesn't".

There is a basic suspension of disbelief that goes along with all fantasy and science fiction. The legit gripe is when the writers violate their own rules, not when the watcher constructs some "problem" that requires them to make assumptions about rules that haven't even been introduced.

0 rows returned