Star Wars Rogue One MASSIVE SPOILERS BY BERKUT

Started by Tamas, December 17, 2016, 11:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Valmy on January 04, 2017, 04:14:08 PM
They do very little showing how the regular joes and janes live in that universe.

Well outside of moisture farmers I guess.

Though they certainly show the bad guys continually performing mass genocide.

There's a scene in one of the prequels where Annikin and Obi-Wan chase someone through a crowded street and then some kind of a bar.
It certainly didn't give the impression that the ordinary folk were very fond of the Jedi.  Which makes sense if you think about it. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Caliga

Quote from: Barrister on January 04, 2017, 04:55:03 PM
They don't sing Yub Nub any longer. :(  Now they dance along to some crappy Zamfir master of the pan flute music.
Yeah, I missed Yub Nub when I rewatched ROTJ the other week with my girlfriend.  Stupid George Lucas. :mad:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

MadImmortalMan

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on January 04, 2017, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 04, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
http://www.iflscience.com/space/death-star-iis-destruction-may-have-doomed-ewoks-say-scientists/

:P

See link above. Canon and Legends explained it away. :P

I am amused that scientists even bothered to respond to a magical fantasy story.   Star Wars is about characters and story, not plots or consistency with current earth science.  Luke was a jedi.  He could make the debris disappear through the force of magic.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: merithyn on January 03, 2017, 11:12:21 PM
Glad the dad died. Glad they were stuck on the planet at the end. Loved the CGI characters. Glad I went to see it, but not sure I'll see it again in the theater. I'm not a big fan of war movies in general, and this really reminded me of the movies my dad used to watch when I was a kid.

I definitely got the old war movie feel from it as well, at least for the big ending battle.
Kinda like Where Eagles Dare or The Dirty Dozen.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

merithyn

Yeah, I was thinking The Dirty Dozen, myself.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Brain

Quote from: grumbler on January 04, 2017, 07:04:38 PM
Quote from: Syt on January 04, 2017, 05:22:42 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on January 04, 2017, 05:21:58 PM
http://www.iflscience.com/space/death-star-iis-destruction-may-have-doomed-ewoks-say-scientists/

:P

See link above. Canon and Legends explained it away. :P

I am amused that scientists even bothered to respond to a magical fantasy story.   Star Wars is about characters and story, not plots or consistency with current earth science.  Luke was a jedi.  He could make the debris disappear through the force of magic.

It isn't magic, it's midi-chlorians. It's like a cold, but a good cold.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

MadImmortalMan

It's like mitochondria, but you get 'em from your dad. Force Jesus.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

celedhring

Solmyr

Quote from: celedhring on January 04, 2017, 09:13:06 AM
Regarding Rey and Finn, I think they're saving up the romantic arc for the upcoming Eps, and they just wanted to establish the foundations in TFA. Which probably was the best choice.

Maybe they'll just go with Poe/Finn romantic arc. :D

Solmyr

Quote from: Berkut on January 04, 2017, 02:41:42 PM
For movies that are telling the story of people lives, rather than just some slice of it, the lack of a romantic interest of some kind would simply be bizarre. Are they eunuchs are something?

How does lack of romantic feelings equate to being an eunuch? Some people are aromantic, you know. Or just are not attracted to whoever they meet.

The Brain

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on January 05, 2017, 06:33:41 AM
I smell great.

You probably smell like weird fish that Scandinavian people seem to love. :uffda:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain