News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Photography gurus, to me!

Started by merithyn, December 12, 2016, 03:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

I'm seriously considering buying a really good camera. We've been traveling a lot more, and I always take a crap-ton of pictures with my phone. But they're hit-or-miss with that, of course. The problem is that I haven't really had a "good" camera since film was a thing.

So, what camera would you choose if you had a budget of $500?

EDIT: I'm thinking specifically of SLRs.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Liep

https://www.dpreview.com/

Your one stop source on all things camera.

Personally I'd recommend buying a Google Pixel or an iPhone 7 and keep taking photos with your phone. Those two cameras are more than capable of taking good pictures and how often do you really need to zoom?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Monoriu

I am definitely not a photography guru, but my impression is that at your budget level, there really isn't that much difference between a camera and an iphone. 

katmai

Are you looking at the ability to change lenses?  I'd pick Canon rebel t6 or if want lightweight the Sony.

But yeah the i6-i7 phones and other camera phones are pretty good.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

My Dad got a D70 and took a couple of non-credit courses at the community college to learn how to use it, and I mean really learn how to use it.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Liep on December 12, 2016, 07:14:35 PM
Personally I'd recommend buying a Google Pixel or an iPhone 7 and keep taking photos with your phone. Those two cameras are more than capable of taking good pictures and how often do you really need to zoom?

This Meri here. We go balls deep, or not at all.  :P

katmai

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2016, 08:29:55 PM
My Dad got a D70 and took a couple of non-credit courses at the community college to learn how to use it, and I mean really learn how to use it.
what else do you need to know besides where the auto shot is??

CountDeMoney

Quote from: katmai on December 12, 2016, 09:53:28 PM
what else do you need to know besides where the auto shot is??

It's got all those dials and shit on it. Learned how to get low-light photos done, different speeds. 

I know it's all junior varsity stuff for you, Mr. Panavision, but it's quite an improvement for him over vacations with the old 110 and flash cubes.  :lol:

katmai

Ah memories.  And seriously good for him.

merithyn

This is what I'm thinking of, too. If I'm going to get a good camera, I'm going to learn how to use it right. :contract:

merithyn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 12, 2016, 08:30:57 PM

This Meri here. We go balls deep, or not at all.  :P

Hell yeah. GO BIG OR GO HOME! :w00t: :yeah:

No, the thing is that I used to do a lot of photography when I was younger. I learned all the dark-room stuff and everything. I loved it. Then I married a man who believed very firmly that he was a photog expert, and any "playing" that I did was "cute". I got bored with competing with him, and I was too busy with the kids, anyway.

Now, with the traveling that we're doing, I'm finding limitations with my camera phone when it comes to close-ups and low-light situations. I want something that will give me less noise in low light, and that will allow me to change up the ISO and use the right lenses for the right kinds of shots.

Not something that I'm going to jump into, by the way. This is a "I want to save up and get the right thing" for a beginner with a DSLR.

Syt

https://www.dpreview.com/

Your one stop source on all things camera.

Not what I expected from a page called DP Review. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on December 13, 2016, 12:07:36 AM
No, the thing is that I used to do a lot of photography when I was younger. I learned all the dark-room stuff and everything. I loved it. Then I married a man who believed very firmly that he was a photog expert, and any "playing" that I did was "cute". I got bored with competing with him, and I was too busy with the kids, anyway.

Oh for....what exactly was so attractive about this guy?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Monoriu on December 12, 2016, 07:50:29 PM
I am definitely not a photography guru,

I think we'd be hard pressed to find one on the forum.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?