Former Celtic kitman Jim McCafferty ‘confesses to sexual abuse in 1990s’

Started by garbon, December 07, 2016, 08:24:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/07/celtic-kitman-jim-mccafferty-confesses-sexual-abuse-football-club-1990s

QuoteYouth coach Jim McCafferty, who spent time at Celtic in the 1990s, has admitted to criminal activities with young boys during his time at the club, according to the Daily Record.

The 71-year-old former kitman for Celtic, Hibernian and Falkirk, has spoken to the newspaper of a campaign of sexual abuse of young footballers over two decades. He now faces a possible police investigation and a likely prosecution and prison sentence.

McCafferty, who lives in Belfast, said: "I understand it was wrong. I was wrong and I did wrong and I am sorry. I have remorse. I know if I'm found guilty I will have to serve time, and I've said to myself that's what I'll have to pay back for what I've done. I'm OK with that. I hope that will cleanse my soul."

The coach admitted his guilt to the paper after preying on teenagers in the 1980s and 90s while coaching boys' and junior teams in West Lothian. He also told the newspaper he abused young players at Celtic between 1990 and 1996.

McCafferty gave the Daily Record the names of five of his victims but has stated there were around a dozen boys in total whom he preyed on. He said he never raped boys but admitted sexually touching their private parts. He admitted to regular sexual contact, including fondling and masturbation, with his victims.

"I've regretted it for years. It has haunted me and I've not had a good night's sleep for a long time," McCafferty said. "Tonight, I feel unburdened."

When asked why he had decided to confess, he said: "Now I can take a breath again. My concern is if someone hurts me when I'm walking down the street."

I don't pay all that much attention to these, but to me this seems an unusual bit in the latest sex abuse scandal rocking the UK.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Class act. Not only abuse the kids, but then run to the papers with the story including the names of victims.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 08:24:52 AM
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/07/celtic-kitman-jim-mccafferty-confesses-sexual-abuse-football-club-1990s

QuoteYouth coach Jim McCafferty, who spent time at Celtic in the 1990s, has admitted to criminal activities with young boys during his time at the club, according to the Daily Record.

The 71-year-old former kitman for Celtic, Hibernian and Falkirk, has spoken to the newspaper of a campaign of sexual abuse of young footballers over two decades. He now faces a possible police investigation and a likely prosecution and prison sentence.

McCafferty, who lives in Belfast, said: "I understand it was wrong. I was wrong and I did wrong and I am sorry. I have remorse. I know if I'm found guilty I will have to serve time, and I've said to myself that's what I'll have to pay back for what I've done. I'm OK with that. I hope that will cleanse my soul."

The coach admitted his guilt to the paper after preying on teenagers in the 1980s and 90s while coaching boys' and junior teams in West Lothian. He also told the newspaper he abused young players at Celtic between 1990 and 1996.

McCafferty gave the Daily Record the names of five of his victims but has stated there were around a dozen boys in total whom he preyed on. He said he never raped boys but admitted sexually touching their private parts. He admitted to regular sexual contact, including fondling and masturbation, with his victims.

"I've regretted it for years. It has haunted me and I've not had a good night's sleep for a long time," McCafferty said. "Tonight, I feel unburdened."

When asked why he had decided to confess, he said: "Now I can take a breath again. My concern is if someone hurts me when I'm walking down the street."

I don't pay all that much attention to these, but to me this seems an unusual bit in the latest sex abuse scandal rocking the UK.

Wait, what?

He voluntarily turned himself in decades later?

That, um, from my professional experience, never fucking happens.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

Weren't there also recently allegations of sexual abuse in Chelsea's youth program in the 70s?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2016, 04:52:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2016, 08:24:52 AM

Wait, what?

He voluntarily turned himself in decades later?

That, um, from my professional experience, never fucking happens.

Okay I am glad to hear you say that as I thought it was pretty crazy.

I would guess he did it though as there has been a big think in UK as of late about paedophiles in football clubs in 80s and 90s.

Barrister

I'm expecting that something had to prompted this.  Perhaps a former victim said he was going to report it to the police.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Barrister on December 07, 2016, 05:39:40 PM
I'm expecting that something had to prompted this.  Perhaps a former victim said he was going to report it to the police.

A quick synopsis : some footballer or other spoke out about the abuse he received when he was a youngster, his misfortune was received with great sympathy by the public. This seems to have burst the dam and dozens (hundreds?) of footballers have come forward with similar stories. As usual, it is then discovered that the Football Association was totally negligent in protecting the youngsters and basically didn't give a shit.

I'm not sure anyone is surprised, I'm certainly not. I think that we need to get our heads around the reality that paedophilia is not some incredibly rare deviancy; but is maybe 1 or even 2% of the population. Till then we will have sensationalism concerning one or another particular area of society when the phenomenon is actually ubiquitous.

Syt

Apparently up to 98 clubs might be involved, over 300 potential victims, and police will talk to more than 80 suspects.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.