Ireland compensates woman forced to travel to Britain for an abortion

Started by garbon, December 01, 2016, 08:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OttoVonBismarck

Back to the issue at hand, as a matter of policy/law, I find it weird that Ireland doesn't allow abortion save for rare cases (and many physicians apparently refuse to perform them even in those scenarios), and yet the government in its courts can be held liable for transporting a person overseas to do something illegal under domestic law?

That'd be like me suing to get the government to pay for my sex tourism in some Southeast Asian country where the age of consent is 12, or something.

Or was this case specifically one in which, under Irish law, the abortion should've been performed, and just wasn't? That would at least make sense from a government liability perspective.

Valmy

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on December 02, 2016, 11:06:17 AM
Back to the issue at hand, as a matter of policy/law, I find it weird that Ireland doesn't allow abortion save for rare cases (and many physicians apparently refuse to perform them even in those scenarios), and yet the government in its courts can be held liable for transporting a person overseas to do something illegal under domestic law?

That'd be like me suing to get the government to pay for my sex tourism in some Southeast Asian country where the age of consent is 12, or something.

Or was this case specifically one in which, under Irish law, the abortion should've been performed, and just wasn't? That would at least make sense from a government liability perspective.

Yeah I was astonished by that as well.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

merithyn

It appears to have come down as an edict from the UN Human Rights Committee, rather than through the Irish courts. The Irish courts paid the bill because the UNHR committee told them they had to.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

CountDeMoney

I really don't want to hear all this whining about not knowing what it's like to be pregnant when women have no earthly idea what it's like to deal with a raging 40 minute boner in 10th grade Geometry class.  Now that is discomfort. 

At least preggers can stretch out, try dealing with that shit in new Toughskins.  :mad:

Valmy

Quote from: merithyn on December 02, 2016, 11:16:55 AM
It appears to have come down as an edict from the UN Human Rights Committee, rather than through the Irish courts. The Irish courts paid the bill because the UNHR committee told them they had to.

Ah ok. That makes more sense.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 02, 2016, 11:32:32 AM
I really don't want to hear all this whining about not knowing what it's like to be pregnant when women have no earthly idea what it's like to deal with a raging 40 minute boner in 10th grade Geometry class.  Now that is discomfort. 

At least preggers can stretch out, try dealing with that shit in new Toughskins.  :mad:

You wore Toughskins in high school??
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 02, 2016, 11:35:51 AM
You wore Toughskins in high school??

Not everybody had 7 pairs of Levis  :mad:

Unlike your entitled lily white cracker as, we were plain people, poor people, proud people; salt of the earth.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on December 02, 2016, 09:10:33 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 02, 2016, 09:08:32 AM
Meh.  She doesn't care.  It's clearly she views it only through the lens of women's rights and power.  Consequences be damned.

How dare she. She really should learn how to moderate her point of view so it will be palatable to...err...well, I can't exactly think why she needs to do that.
not convincing just consistent
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, women have no idea what it's like to go through male puberty, and all the chafing that comes from jerking off 5 times a day for 2 years.

CountDeMoney

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 02, 2016, 10:48:55 AM
Quote from: Berkut on December 02, 2016, 09:14:56 AM
Noted.

On this topic, I have found Meri as resistant to logic as Raz is to most things.  Engaging fanatics on the topic of fanaticism is a waste of lifespan.

I don't even need to post!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Valmy