Where is the line between brave and stupid? Or is there one?

Started by Berkut, November 26, 2016, 09:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2016, 10:37:08 AM
like all political correctness, the inability to say the truth out loud leads to a lot of confused thinking and decision-making.

Quoted for posterity.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

celedhring

I'm not sure what's "politically correct" about striving to reduce deaths in sport. It's just correct.

grumbler

Quote from: celedhring on November 27, 2016, 11:20:08 AM
I'm not sure what's "politically correct" about striving to reduce deaths in sport. It's just correct.

I think the point he is making is that political correctness forbids mentioning the truth that it is the possibility of a crash (not a death, but a crash) that makes motor sports thrilling for many, if not most, of its fans.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

When it comes to motorsports, it's an aberration, and probably a defiant reaction against the general trend.  Pretty much everywhere else you go to the other extreme:  "safety is absolutely the most important goal in motorsports".  In which case why does the sport still exist? :unsure:  No matter how safe racing is, it's even safer to just not race at all. 

I've no idea.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 27, 2016, 10:51:12 AM
like all political correctness, the inability to say the truth out loud leads to a lot of confused thinking and decision-making.

Quoted for posterity.
:unsure: Have I ever said anything different in that regard?

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on November 27, 2016, 11:26:46 AM

I think the point he is making is that political correctness forbids mentioning the truth that it is the possibility of a crash (not a death, but a crash) that makes motor sports thrilling for many, if not most, of its fans.
Exactly.

CountDeMoney

When it comes to motorsports, it's an aberration, and probably a defiant reaction against the general trend.  Pretty much everywhere else you go to the other extreme:  "safety is absolutely the most important goal in motorsports".  In which case why does the sport still exist? :unsure:  No matter how safe racing is, it's even safer to just not race at all.

They're getting paid, and in some cases exorbitant amounts of money, to engage in an activity risking an outcome that we engage in on a daily basis for free.   

Nobody's sponsoring my ass to get put into the wall by a Vietnamese bikini wax technician in a Nissan Murano on New Hampshire Avenue.  I'd sell space on a quarter panel for that.

celedhring

Quote from: grumbler on November 27, 2016, 11:26:46 AM

Fair enough.

Sponsors are terrified of those, though. So it's not just PC, it's business.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2016, 11:32:15 AM

Quoted for posterity.

Nope.

0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on November 27, 2016, 02:24:24 PM

Quoted for posterity.

Nope.
:unsure: Usually people say that when they expect to use someone's words against them down the road.

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2016, 02:41:24 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 27, 2016, 02:24:24 PM

Quoted for posterity.

Nope.
:unsure: Usually people say that when they expect to use someone's words against them down the road.

True, but that was not my intent in this particular case.

0 rows returned