Neural Network Learns to Identify Criminals by Their Faces

Started by Syt, November 24, 2016, 11:34:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 27, 2016, 02:22:26 PM
Are you joking? Between uncaught criminals and criminals treated differently by the system, I can't imagine there being an R value of more than 0.55 or so. Maybe, just maybe if the system was rock solid before, 0.6, and I wouldn't be putting any crime prevention programs into place with under a 0.75. Hell, I wouldn't want less than a 0.8.

Completely removing it would mean a correlation of zero.

DontSayBanana

Way to keep moving the goalposts. I said this is not a useful predictor, and the threshold for something to be predictive is way higher than 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, none of those are strong enough correlations to be predictive.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 27, 2016, 02:44:36 PM
Way to keep moving the goalposts.
You're the one moving the goalposts.  When you say that something isn't correlated, you mean it has an R of less than 0.8.  Okay...
I said this is not a useful predictor, and the threshold for something to be predictive is way higher than 0.1, 0.2, 0.5, none of those are strong enough correlations to be predictive.
The threshold for a correlation to be predictive is >0.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2016, 02:48:16 PM

Not for any application where I've actually had to use R-squared.  And sure as hell not for anything with possible civil rights implications.

For everything I've had to deal with involving peer review, 0.6 has been the absolute bare minimum to suggest a causal link.  0.5 is "it could be related, but it could also not"- high enough to warrant further study, but not high enough to reliably suggest a causal link.
Experience bij!

DGuller

Quote from: DontSayBanana on November 27, 2016, 08:36:35 PM
Quote from: DGuller on November 27, 2016, 02:48:16 PM

Not for any application where I've actually had to use R-squared.  And sure as hell not for anything with possible civil rights implications.

For everything I've had to deal with involving peer review, 0.6 has been the absolute bare minimum to suggest a causal link.  0.5 is "it could be related, but it could also not"- high enough to warrant further study, but not high enough to reliably suggest a causal link.
The threshold is the same for any predictive application.  If it's significantly different from zero, it's predictive, causal or not makes no difference.  What you may want to do with that predictive relationship is a different issue.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?