1st Annual Languish Twilight Struggle Tournament

Started by Berkut, November 21, 2016, 09:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

OK, so that gives us 12. I think we give it another day or so to see if anyone else wants in and get started...

CHECK THE FIRST POST AND MAKE SURE YOUR NAME IS THERE IF YOU ARE PLAYING!!!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Proposed structure.

Pool Play

Divide into 4 pools of 3 players, A-L ranked by TS rating at start of tournament.
Pool 1: AHI
Pool 2: BGJ
Pool 3: CFK
Pool 4: DEL

Within each pool, start up 1 game against each common opponent. Randomly decide sides for the first game, or pick, whichever you prefer.

Once that game is complete, switch sides and play each other again.

Default is:
+1 Influcence for US Player
Optional Cards
No Chinese Civil War.

Any of these can be changed at the agreement of both players, but must be consistent between both plays between those players.

So each player will play 4 games in pool play.

Ranking within the pool is by total game won.

Ties determined by:
1. Games won between the two players in question (So if you go 2-0 against the person you are tied against, you win against them in a two way tie).
2. Games won by the US.
3. Games played by the US.
3. Die roll.

After this, we will divide the players as follows:

Gold Pool:

Winner of each pool above, G1-G4, plus the next two highest win totals, G5 and G6.

Silver Pool:
Next four players by total games won, using the above tie breakers, S1-S4

Last two players from pool play are eliminated.

Elimination Round 1:

Gold Pool:
G1 v G6
G2 v G5
G3 v G4

Winners of each head to head match will advance (three advance). Play 2 games against each other, switch sides. If one player wins both, they advance. If it is tied, a third match is played, randomly chosen sides to decide the match, US player wins ties. (IE, in any given game, a tie result is a US win)

Silver Pool
S1 v S4
S2 v S3

Only one player will advance from this pool. Play 1 game each, randomly chosen sides. US wins ties. Winners play each other to advance.

Final round will be three winnners from Gold, G1-G3 and 1 winner from Silver S1.

G1 vs S1
G2 vs G3

Same format, play two games switching sides and a third game if necessary. Winners play each other for the championship.

0 rows returned

Berkut

This may seem kind of overly complex, but it is basically a way of having a tournament where even if you don't "win" in the early rounds, you can still make it to the finals, albeit with a much more difficult road.

0 rows returned

Habbaku

Quote from: Berkut on November 25, 2016, 04:16:46 PM
Default is:
Optional Cards
No Chinese Civil War.

Traditional is +2 IPs for US.  Is there a specific reason we aren't using that?
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 25, 2016, 05:15:51 PM
Default is:
Optional Cards
No Chinese Civil War.

+1 is WBC rulez.

https://twilightstruggletourney.wordpress.com/201516tournament/

Habbaku

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Solmyr

I'm ok as long as Berkut takes care of the paperwork and tells me who I'm playing and when. :P

Habbaku

Quote from: Solmyr on November 25, 2016, 06:28:09 PM
I'm ok as long as Berkut takes care of the paperwork and tells me who I'm playing and when. :P

This heresy cannot stand, man.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 25, 2016, 06:30:28 PM
Quote from: Solmyr on November 25, 2016, 06:28:09 PM

This heresy cannot stand, man.

No Chinese Civil War.  It's already heretical.

Berkut

Quote from: Habbaku on November 25, 2016, 05:15:51 PM
Default is:
Optional Cards
No Chinese Civil War.

Yes - that is what the WBC tournament used, and since one of our default tie breakers is that the US wins tie games, I think the idea is to make it a tougher choice to take the US.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Check the front page, and if I don't have your TS name listed after your name, please post it here.

Everyone should add everyone else as friends.

At this point, I would like to start in the next day or two.

PLEASE PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU WANT TO PLAY AND HAVE THE TIME TO GET TURNS IN IN A TIMELY MANNER!

Once we start, make sure we create games with the max time allotment so we don't have anyone running out of time.

0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

bogh

As always, I am in the NZ timezone, which obviously will impact my turn around times. I will let Berkut and Haps judge whether or not that is acceptable (since they have both played me).

In other news, I will be relocating back around March next year, so will be in Denmark going forward...

Berkut

I am mostly worried about people just not playing for days on end, not turn around time per se.

Languish has always been a global thing, it is part of its charm!

0 rows returned